• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Playoffs |OT| Lakers started from the bottom, and they still there

s0261197_sc7

Only the best for my family.

the organization fucked up hard. If they knew Rose didn't intend on coming back (which it seems like they did), they should have kept his progress under a tighter wrap.

I understand him though, he had just come back from an injury and then gets another freak injury which just devastated him. but at the same time, this is the NBA and players go through this shit all the time. you sometimes got to just play through it. and not to mention you're getting paid millions of dollars.

If the bulls were complete shit and out of the playoffs etc, then obviously he should just sit it out and try again. But that's not the case.

it was probably a PR move to keep hope of a comeback floating in the air and keep season ticketholders in their seats.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Media Hype like this great McDonalds Allstar MVP?

eddycurry_display_image.jpg

The limitless potential future NBA all star Eddy Curry

Whatever a guy like that has all to do with his situation, especially when they come out of HS.

It's telling how much talent he had when he put up a 20-7 season when he never had a good coach his whole career.

Put Eddy Curry in a situation like San Antonio? Dude would be a multiple all star. Put him in a situation like Kwame's or Dwight's Magic situation? Likely not any better than what he had done.

If hype was 100% correct/incorrect there would be no point to scouting character/intelligence etc.

He still has more post moves than Dwight does and he's at home getting fatter than ever most likely.

Whatever a guy like that has all to do with his situation, especially when they come out of HS.

It's telling how much talent he had when he put up a 20-7 season when he never had a good coach his whole career.

Put Eddy Curry in a situation like San Antonio? Dude would be a multiple all star. Put him in a situation like Kwame's or Dwight's Magic situation? Likely not any better than what he had done.

If hype was 100% correct/incorrect there would be no point to scouting character/intelligence etc.

He still has more post moves than Dwight does and he's at home getting fatter than ever most likely.

Or perhaps guys like him and Kwame were overrated? Perhaps if they had chosen to go to college instead of jumping to the NBA things may have been different. There are countless players that come out of high school that are the next big thing and most of them are never heard from again.

Knicks starting Copeland over James White. Not sure I like that, as it weakens the bench and exposes Cope to foul trouble. Again, the reason the Celts are at a disadvantage is a complete lack of depth/inability to take advantage of the Knicks two big flaws: PG defense and offensive rebounding. But the Knicks can sure destroy Boston in a bench vs. bench battle.

Knicks starting Copeland over James White. Not sure I like that, as it weakens the bench and exposes Cope to foul trouble. Again, the reason the Celts are at a disadvantage is a complete lack of depth/inability to take advantage of the Knicks two big flaws: PG defense and offensive rebounding. But the Knicks can sure destroy Boston in a bench vs. bench battle.

Might as well start Q-Rich over White.

Skiles and Brown are bad coaches in general, but if you don't learn defense under them, you probably aren't learning how to defend from any coach and a center that doesn't defend at all is pretty worthless for contending teams (and worthless players don't make multiple all-star teams)

Might as well start Q-Rich over White.
Yeah but the Knicks know what that lineup is for. White plays aggressive D and shoots a few shots and stays out of Carmelo's way while Felton runs the PnR with Chandler. If White picks up 2 fouls who gives a fuck, nothing of consequence is lost. Plus White would be a placeholder for JR Smith anyway, now by starting Cope you kinda tip your hand.

The only reason I see Woodson doing this for is that the Celtics are going big (Garnett/Bass/Green/Pierce at SG/Bradley). But again, you don't worry too much if Celts starters score alot, because their bench is terrible.
Chris Herring @HerringWSJ about 10 minutes ago
Woodson says Prigioni probably could play today, but he's giving him extra time to make sure he's ready for Game 2
Interesting. Wonder if Knicks didn't have HCA would he have done that.

dream

Part of me thinks it's absurd that Young Rose is essentially betraying his team by milking his "injury." But another part of me thinks that $250M is probably the right price for making someone not care about winning and proudly displaying his softness to the world.

Part of me thinks it's absurd that Young Rose is essentially betraying his team by milking his "injury." But another part of me thinks that $250M is probably the right price for making someone not care about winning and proudly displaying his softness to the world.

Well if he is putting his own interest before the team, he's no worse than Reinsdorf whose cheapness and unwillingness to pay for free agents/trades has severely put a damper on the Bulls chance of getting out of the East.

PBY

Banned

Damn you sound scared.

Kacar

The rose thing is completely ridiculous to me, if all reports are true that he is running a dunking fiercely what does he stand to gain from not coming back? Does he even like basketball?

He's probably scared of shooting like 8% against lebron again in the 4th.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
We chastise players for when they come back too soon, and we chastise them when they don't come back soon enough. Honestly, for Rose to have played in the playoffs, he should have been on the court a month ago.

At this point, wait until next year as the Bulls have nothing to gain.

Not from a team culture standpoint.

He wouldn't even be the craziest dude on the team.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Y'all got JR fucking Smith and wife beater galore in Jason Kidd. What the hell is wrong with you?

Yes, the media fears the raging monster that hides inside Jason Kidd. And JR really isn't crazy anymore, but you'd have to watch a few Knick games to notice.

I'm not sure what you're saying, JR is still heroballing it up. It's been working lately with his realization that he's a slasher, but I'm not 100% confident he's not gonna shoot 3/16 like he did last season.

Delonte West is currently a better player than Q-Rich, but for what we need to have (people that can defend rugged guards and forwards, people who will goon it out against any player, people who can shoot 3s, people who will not play outside of the system) West isn't a better choice.

...though now when I write this post out, West theoretically fits most of those. Oh well.

Frank, it pains me that we haven't watched even one game in this season. :(

Well maybe not with the Baron. The Baron is classy as fuck.
Barron.jpg

look at those evil soulless eyes. No idea what foul deeds he's plotting. That's a bad dude right there.

I regretfully admit I GameCasted every game, I haven't watched a single Knicks game all year. I feel so ashamed, this must be what Psychological Intent feels like all the time.

Sanjuro

Delonte West is currently a better player than Q-Rich, but for what we need to have (people that can defend rugged guards and forwards, people who will goon it out against any player, people who can shoot 3s, people who will not play outside of the system) West isn't a better choice.

...though now when I write this post out, West theoretically fits most of those. Oh well.

Delonte was a pretty damn good PG. He was just made out of glass, forcing him to play like shit.

masud

Banned
Delonte would instantly be our 2nd best perimeter defender. Thank god the Celtics don't have anyone to defend on the perimeter.

Owzers

But Young Rose has been cleared to play for over a month. This is just him being mentally weak.

This looks bad for Rose, i understand why he is apprehensive to get back to playing as his career is young and he wants to be fully healthy, but has there been an elite player in the nba that just skipped the playoffs after being medically cleared for a month? It's hard to believe a player would just skip it.

Delonte would instantly be our 2nd best perimeter defender.
Thank god the Celtics don't have anyone to defend on the perimeter.
Courtney Lee isn't bad, though he's not what I had expected from past seasons. They also have Average Bradley...

yeah.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Yeah but the Knicks know what that lineup is for. White plays aggressive D and shoots a few shots and stays out of Carmelo's way while Felton runs the PnR with Chandler. If White picks up 2 fouls who gives a fuck, nothing of consequence is lost. Plus White would be a placeholder for JR Smith anyway, now by starting Cope you kinda tip your hand.

The only reason I see Woodson doing this for is that the Celtics are going big (Garnett/Bass/Green/Pierce at SG/Bradley). But again, you don't worry too much if Celts starters score alot, because their bench is terrible.

Interesting. Wonder if Knicks didn't have HCA would he have done that.

Makes a certain amount of sense offensively. Defensively I think they value shump enough to try avoiding him getting foul trouble early. and nobody wants to run kidd down in game 1 of the playoffs

Anyhow this all makes sense if they expect boston to double Melo early and you want to keep JR on the bench. Put cope out there with Melo and put the pressure on Boston's forwards to decide if they can stop both. If Cope plays lousy then go to kidd or shump. If not eventually he is going to get carmelo some one on one opportunities.

Also don't overhype Copeland yet, he is an unexpected playoff factor for the knicks and as of now arguably could at best replace the plan they had for Amare to come in and score for 15 minutes a game. If he goes in there and does his thing then I could see Woodson being more worried if he get into foul trouble, but I like the idea of seeing what he is about early so they can figure out his minutes now instead of later.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Or perhaps guys like him and Kwame were overrated? Perhaps if they had chosen to go to college instead of jumping to the NBA things may have been different. There are countless players that come out of high school that are the next big thing and most of them are never heard from again.

Curry is different than a guy like Kwame.

Kwame had a couple of physical attributes/tools and that's it.

Eddy Curry even at his fattest still had better post footwork than all but 5-10 guys tops.

If Dwight had Eddy Curry's post game he wouldn't be a liability down the stretch (besides fts).

This looks bad for Rose, i understand why he is apprehensive to get back to playing as his career is young and he wants to be fully healthy, but has there been an elite player in the nba that just skipped the playoffs after being medically cleared for a month? It's hard to believe a player would just skip it.

After they lost Korver and Asik for nothing I know I wouldn't give two shits about the organization anymore. Rose needs to look out for himself if ownership is trying to be cheap.

Into

Made no sense that Rose did not play the last 5-7 season games, he had nothing to lose, nobody was going to judge him on those games anyway, it would have been good for him to test himself and see how he does. He could have played 15 min a game, just see how he does, if he is ready for the playoffs etc

Now it just comes across as he is mentally fragile, like he is scared that he is not the player he used to be. The Bulls with him even at 80% would still be a force, but no.

Eventually he has to come back, eventually people all around the league will look at you, whether its now or next season, so why does it matter?

Disappointing but expected

Top Bottom