• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Playoffs |OT| Lakers started from the bottom, and they still there

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Sure Payton's a better PG than Nash, but it's not like he's that far behind him. Who else slots between them? Stockton? Kidd?

Pretty good company regardless.

Kidd Stockton GP are the top of that era

And go back a bit more Magic Zeke are up there

And then CP3...

But the lakers are better without Kobe! 4 games in a row they are scoring lights out!

Analysis is simple. There's no Kobe and thus the offense sucks so long as Nash ain't healthy.

Sucks watching these games. You see they're playing hard and stuff but there's simple no open gaps in the offense. They have one reliable perimeter player right now and he just got hurt. Kobe's value is so much more than his stats. He puts so much pressure on a defense it opens up the game.

Kobe must be seething knowing he can't go.

i think some of you haven't watched 90s basketball, or at least wearing goggles.
payton was fantastic in virtually every aspect of the game.
fantastic perimeter defender, ran the fastbreak well, great passer and shooter as well.
given that both players are fundamentally different,
i'd rather build a team where a player does everything really well versus a guy that does a couple of things extremely well.

But the lakers are better without Kobe! 4 games in a row they are scoring lights out!

Analysis is simple. There's no Kobe and thus the offense sucks so long as Nash ain't healthy.

Sucks watching these games. You see they're playing hard and stuff but there's simple no open gaps in the offense. They have one reliable perimeter player right now and he just got hurt. Kobe's value is so much more than his stats. He puts so much pressure on a defense it opens up the game.

And the poor guy can't tweet about it.

I know Kidd's prime happened in the toughest defensive era ever, but his scoring in his prime was just not nearly good enough to be comparable to other all-time great PGs I think, even after taking opposing defenses into account.

Nope

Stockton come on...

I can use that system argument against Stockton too. They (as in Kidd/Payton/Nash) peaked in different eras and were the best at their peak.

You can't touch Magic and Isiah, but the level below that, not a huge distinction looking at their body of work.

linsivvi

i think some of you haven't watched 90s basketball, or at least wearing goggles.
payton was fantastic in virtually every aspect of the game.
fantastic perimeter defender, ran the fastbreak well, great passer and shooter as well.
given that both players are fundamentally different,
i'd rather build a team where a player does everything really well versus a guy that does a couple of things extremely well.

This. Kids are gonna call us old since they've never watched 90s basketball.

Nash hasn't been healthy all year.
Steve Blake has been playing better than Nash by a good margin, pringles souled sit Nash & have Blake run the offense.

also nash was never part of anything as embarrassing (barring this year's laker dumpster fire) as denver/sonics in 94. getting packed by robert pack sets you back big time.

T Dollarz

Gilbert Arenas at his peak was good as fuck, come on guys. I'm not talking legacies, but comparing players at their best. I'll take '06 Arenas over '94 Tim Hardaway

Cloudy

Banned
also nash was never part of anything as embarrassing (barring this year's laker dumpster fire) as denver/sonics in 94. getting packed by robert pack sets you back big time.

He was an Odom rebound away from accepting his fraudulent MVP after being ousted by a 7th seed

Chichikov

Really?
That's your argument against gp?
At least I now know that you didn't watch basketball in 1994.

Lakers-age, i think SA has something for you.

k%2012%20std.jpg

Tubes?

Really?
That's your argument against gp?
At least I now know that you didn't watch basketball in 1994.

That's not an argument against GP, I like Payton. But everyone seems so keen on calling out Nash's failures aren't remembering that GP himself came up short plenty of times.

Chichikov

match up wise sure but there was many instances where the glove would guard him.
its not like you guard the same man throughout a game.
and when he did, he did a better job than anybody else.
That's not how I remember it, I mean sure, I'll bet there were some switches on picks, but you don't get too many of those in the triangle and the Sonics weren't playing any sort of proto-zone d, so I really don't think Jordan saw much of him in games 1-3 (it was also like a thing in the media).

But it was a while ago, and I was watching it in ungodly hours, so who knows.
Which brings me full circle to why Karl is overrated...
He's a players' coach, guys love him and they play hard for him, but he get out coached routinely on the Xs an Os.

Top Bottom