• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Playoffs |OT| Lakers started from the bottom, and they still there

How is that even debatable?

Anyone who thinks Nash is even close to Payton's level has never watched him play.

youre talking bout the best shooter in nba history and like a top 5 all time passer vs. a goat perimeter defender and acting like shits wine versus grape juice.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
So D'Antoni played Kobe to the point of injury, is playing Nash tons of minutes despite his injury, and has rushed MWP and Jordan Hill back way ahead of schedule. He came to the Lakers on crutches and won't be satisfied until the rest of the team leaves that way.
lol @ the thought that Mike D makes most player decisions

linsivvi

youre talking bout the best shooter in nba history and like a top 5 all time passer vs. a goat perimeter defender and acting like shits wine versus grape juice.

Nash can't play a lick of defense, even during his prime. Basketball is not just about offense.

And I thought we were talking about basketball ability, not off court behaviors.

so are the 2013 lakers basically the 2012 knicks?

mjPAn.jpg

Chichikov

I like Nash, a lot even, and I agree with him, not sure how that's debatable.
In his prime, the guy was every bit as good offensively (actually, he was better, but you younglings and your pussy non contact basketball will never believe me) and definsvley, well, I think the phrase LOL you kids use capture that perfectly.

It's true that Nash is aging better, but at their prime?
Yeah, no.

Branduil

Lakers are going to be paying $100 million in salaries next year plus millions and millions more in luxury taxes for this team LOL.

In his prime, the guy was every bit as good offensively (actually, he was better, but you younglings and your pussy non contact basketball will never believe me) will and definsvley, well, I think the phrase LOL you kids use capture that perfectly.

Yeah, no.

nash ran some of the best offenses in NBA history

he also won 54 games in the west with shawn marion as his second best player

Blackace

In his prime, the guy was every bit as good offensively and definsvley, well, I think the phrase LOL you kids use capture that perfectly.

Yeah, no.
Their games are different

Nash is maybe closer to Stockton in style on O

But even then Stockton played better D and ran half court better

GP played better D than both and was unstoppable in the post and ran the fast break and half court well

In his prime, the guy was every bit as good offensively (actually, he was better, but you younglings and your pussy non contact basketball will never believe me) and definsvley, well, I think the phrase LOL you kids use capture that perfectly.

Yeah, no.

Sure Payton's a better PG than Nash, but it's not like he's that far behind him. Who else slots between them? Stockton? Kidd?

Pretty good company regardless.

Blackace

Prime Shawn was really good

Nash plus young athletic wings is good combos until one plants a seed in his wife

KingJ2002

damn... injuries are killing us.

if the lakers find a way to get out of this round... we'll probably have a starting 5 of goudelock, morris, clark, jamison, and sacre.

linsivvi

yet you can still chip with average or even bad D from a point guard. youre a fan of a team that won with Derek Fisher, so you know that already.

What the hell does that have to do with which player is better? First you talk about personality, then you talk about winning a chip. You suck at making a point.

Sure Payton's a better PG than Nash, but it's not like he's that far behind him. Who else slots between them? Stockton? Kidd?

Kidd is better than both of them in my opinion.

Chichikov

Gary Payton was pretty much unstoppable for a while, Nash was never as good individually, yeah, he ran that system beautifully, and I'm really not a hater (as I said, I like him a lot personally) but at the end of the day it was a system you can't win shit with, so I don't know, is being the absolute best in 'a good for regular season' system all that important?

But even if I accept that they're comparable offensively, defensively, it's not a contest.
Nash was always a liability and Payton could usually shut down half of the other team, he impacted the game on both side of the floor, dramatically.

Agreed, I think I might like Nash more than Stockton by the way, but I need to think about it, and I don't like to think about the short shorts.
Again, not a hater, but damn, Payton was something else.

Top Bottom