• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Playoffs |OT| Lakers started from the bottom, and they still there

cause i said not rocket science? Stop acting soft, that ain't nothing.

Prime Kobe won 45 in the West with Smush, Cook, Walton getting huge minutes.

Unless you're going to restrict the top talent in the NBA to those types of rosters, you're never going to achieve parity.

It's the nature of the sport.

And honestly, I think it's the best attribute. The best teams should win. If there's one thing I hate about the NFL the most is that you can get hot for 3 weeks like Joe Flacco and win the superbowl. Some find that good, I don't.

I'm still annoyed OKC traded Harden and we won't get the Finals we should have gotten.

edit: Banned, lmao. Way to antagonize a mod. A quite lenient one at that.

Unlimited maxes (or up to just under the salary cap I guess would be a realistic max) while keeping the salary cap has always seemed interesting for possibly promoting parity. You'd probably have all superstars with terrible supporting casts so a team built around role players could have a chance then.

Then again, teams could really fuck themselves in that system if they gave a fraudulent star player like $40 million a year.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Unlimited maxes (or up to just under the salary cap I guess would be a realistic max) while keeping the salary cap has always seemed interesting for possibly promoting parity. You'd probably have all superstars with terrible supporting casts so a team built around role players could have a chance then.

Then again, teams could really fuck themselves in that system if they gave a fraudulent star player like $40 million a year.

That's why you couple it with soft guaranteed contracts (guaranteed for only the first 2 seasons) and not ironclad guaranteed contracts.

Canuck76

Banned
Prime Kobe won 45 in the West with Smush, Cook, Walton getting huge minutes.

Unless you're going to restrict the top talent in the NBA to those types of rosters, you're never going to achieve parity.

It's the nature of the sport.

And honestly, I think it's the best attribute. The best teams should win. If there's one thing I hate about the NFL the most is that you can get hot for 3 weeks like Joe Flacco and win the superbowl. Some find that good, I don't.

I'm still annoyed OKC traded Harden and we won't get the Finals we should have gotten.

edit: Banned, lmao. Way to antagonize a mod. A quite lenient one at that.

Totally agree. Makes the upsets that much more intense. Detroit in 2004 is the one of the more recognized one, but just seeing Dirk and the Mavs just absolutely wreck in 2011 was amazing at the time. Not neccesairly an upset but they were so under the radar that year. Sweeping the Lakers and then just having an all time series with the Heat on their way to a chip.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Totally agree. Makes the upsets that much more intense. Detroit in 2004 is the one of the more recognized one, but just seeing Dirk and the Mavs just absolutely wreck in 2011 was amazing at the time. Not neccesairly an upset but they were so under the radar that year. Sweeping the Lakers and then just having an all time series with the Heat on their way to a chip.

Their series with the Pacers was arguably their toughest matchup. They didn't play the Heat in 2004 -- they beat the Heat in 2005 after Shaq arrived.

my favorite part is heavy calling anybody soft

this is a guy that say fuck you when he gets challenged or mocked and pretends that life is a fairy tale of optimism

Lkr

Their series with the Pacers was arguably their toughest matchup. They didn't play the Heat in 2004 -- they beat the Heat in 2005 after Shaq arrived.
He was talking about the Mavs

A good point I think skip bayless mentioned(which I don't think are words I will ever say again) is that in the past 20 years in basketball there are only a few guys worth a max contract in the real sense of the value. These are prime shaq, MJ, Kobe, Lebron, Duncan, and possibly one or two more like Durant and Hakeem. Melo has finally proven to me that he can be a top player but I don't think he is anywhere near as much money as Lebron is if I'm bidding on the two of them for example. Then we have joke contracts in this league like the shit Rashard Lewis got. I think the nba needs to introduce a system where only so much money is guaranteed.

A good point I think skip bayless mentioned(which I don't think are words I will ever say again) is that in the past 20 years in basketball there are only a few guys worth a max contract in the real sense of the value. These are prime shaq, MJ, Kobe, Lebron, Duncan, and possibly one or two more like Durant and Hakeem. Melo has finally proven to me that he can be a top player but I don't think he is anywhere near as much money as Lebron is if I'm bidding on the two of them for example. Then we have joke contracts in this league like the shit Rashard Lewis got. I think the nba needs to introduce a system where only so much money is guaranteed.

There are a lot of players every year who are worth a max contract when comparing their impact to the impact of a mid level player. I think pretty much everyone would have Chris Bosh over Carl Landry and Matrix. That there is a max to contracts distorts the market though.

diehard

Fleer
cause i said not rocket science? Stop acting soft, that ain't nothing.

Just for you, Heavy.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Heavy is such a weird dude. If you're going to talk shit to a mod do it on twitter where they can't ban you...

Just kidding Ace.

That's like

ACE be saying shut the fuck up kaeptain but when he leave I be talking again

But really I talk trash and take it fairly but was kinda out there

Blackace

Um that's an interesting way to look at it

What exactly is the method for figuring out value? Because Pippen DRob Barkley Malone/Stockton and maybe even AI not being worth a max strikes me as not right

Zep

Banned
All those guys but AI are worth maxes in their prime.

AI was definitely worth the max when you include marketability. We all know your hate for inefficient scorers but lets not act like he was Monta Ellis out there. Iverson put asses in seats everywhere across the league.

jmdajr

lt looks like going to bed during half time was a wise idea. I knew Rockets had no chance but they REALLY have no chance. Still hoping for 4-1 moral victory.

Blackace

AI was definitely worth the max when you include marketability. We all know your hate for inefficient scorers but lets not act like he was Monta Ellis out there. Iverson put asses in seats everywhere across the league.

I think he gets a bad rap... dude is a career 42% scorer, granted not mind blowing, but hardly "inefficient" I think if he was paired with a decent player earlier in his career he would have been so much better. But talk about a one man army..

He also had about 3 godlike years that are right up there with anyone, statwise, at his position..

Blackace

He was paired with MANY players.

Worse teammate than Kobe.

First ballot though.
lol he wasn't 31 until paired with a true all star who played a different position than him

Erry Stackhouse was the best player he played with before Melo after that was McKie

pilonv1

The thing about Iverson that I will always admire is how much of a beating he took. Plus he was so ungodly quick, never seen anyone with his speed and ability to finish, even Monta before the moped accident when he had it all.

Blackace

The thing about Iverson that I will always admire is how much of a beating he took. Plus he was so ungodly quick, never seen anyone with his speed and ability to finish, even Monta before the moped accident when he had it all.

And just fearless...

That Sixers squad Iverson took to the Finals was pretty awful.

That team was awful... Really the players he played with we're bad.. Claiming he had been with good teammates is reeeeeeally pushing the definition of good

I don't know if I see Smith getting the max. He's not as good this year as last year and he doesn't have the really enticing things that people get maxes for (he's not going to get a lot better, isn't a volume scorer, is good defensivley but not good enough to build around, just above average rebounding).

I think if he gets it he'll get it from the Bucks or the Rockets, the former in which I can't imagine would be so dumb as to build around 3 of what would be the dumbest contracts in basketball (Monta, Jennings, Smith) when they have a chance to get better in a single year via a great draft class and the latter in which is a real possibility but I don't know that Morey would use his last bit of leverage/flexibility by choosing Smith as the final piece of his contending team.

Nobody would be "box office" in Atlanta.

Atlanta is a pretty good sports town, it's just that the Hawks brand has been so fucking terrible that the fans are disinterested. They are like milder Philly fans who aren't afraid to talk shit and boo their own players when the product is trash. But you look at hardcore Falcons/Vick fans / Atlanta Braves fans and they are pretty loyal/hardcore.

If CP3 and Dwight went I think people would be surprised by how electrifying that arena could be. Won't happen tho

Top Bottom