• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Playoffs |OT| Lakers started from the bottom, and they still there

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
It's pretty easy to have parity in a sport with a single-elimination playoff (for the NFL)

zQYf3px.png

YKpneiz.png

NBA will never have "parity" because it's basketball. When you make 30-40 FGs and 100 plays per game, the better team tends to win. It's less random and a lucky FG or two are less likely to make a difference.

Also, 7 game series helps to ensure the better team wins.

This is the best point made so far, besides the obvious single-elimination vs. 7-game series factor. You're 100% right... far more luck and randomness involved with the NFL.

reilo

Right, baseball and hockey have strong parity with series, but I think it's fair to say to being single-elimination definitely makes more parity.

I still don't think it's a good qualifier/argument because the NHL and MLB show that you can have decent amount (or in the NHL's case: GREAT amount) of parity in a 7-game playoff format. I think linsivvi's argument holds more weight. What can the NBA do about it? That's where the discussion should be.

linsivvi

This is the best point made so far, besides the obvious single-elimination vs. 7-game series factor. You're 100% right... far more luck and randomness involved with the NFL.

And that's why I can never get into soccer. A couple lucky goals and you're the world champion.

reilo

Or, take the NCAA for example. It's basketball with a single-game elimination playoff format. Not much parity:

jfVAKjz.png

Not an apples-to-apples example though, due to the recruiting setup.

Branduil

I still don't think it's a good qualifier/argument because the NHL and MLB show that you can have decent amount (or in the NHL's case: GREAT amount) of parity in a 7-game playoff format. I think linsivvi's argument holds more weight. What can the NBA do about it? That's where the discussion should be.

The problem with the salary cap is that it doesn't scale linearly with talent. Role players are only worth anything if you already have a superstar, but minimum salary requirements and maximum salary rules ensure that they still make a ton of money. Luol Deng makes 3/4 as much as Lebron. That's a problem.

If you want to ensure superstars are spread out, increase the maximum salary, BUT only one player on each team is allowed to have a maximum salary. Every other player on the team can only earn 1/2 the max at most.

balddemon

Banned
I don't get how KU only has 20 less overall wins than kentucky (2090 to 2070), but 5 less titles. and UCLA isn't even close to KU in victories, yet almost 4x as many titles.

this needs to change. more parity please.

reilo

The problem with the salary cap is that it doesn't scale linearly with talent. Role players are only worth anything if you already have a superstar, but minimum salary requirements and maximum salary rules ensure that they still make a ton of money. Luol Deng makes 3/4 as much as Lebron. That's a problem.

If you want to ensure superstars are spread out, increase the maximum salary, BUT only one player on each team is allowed to have a maximum salary. Every other player on the team can only earn 1/2 the max at most.

The latest CBA has gone that route a bit, but it didn't go far enough. It will probably take a couple more seasons for that scenario to shake out.

reilo

When has a Cinderella team ever won big in soccer tourneys? I really can't think of any examples.

Especially in the World Cup where the talent is so extremely rich. Maybe the US going to the quarterfinals?

Flash

Can't fix idiot GMs either. Landry Fields got his contract after the new CBA...and it was brilliantly devised to overpay Nash on some ridiculous milti year contract.

The thing with hockey is that a goalie is by far the most important player on the ice. If a goalie gets a hot streak they could single handedly carry a team in the playoffs.

When has a Cinderella team ever won big in soccer tourneys? I really can't think of really any examples.

Especially in the World Cup where the talent is so extremely rich. Maybe the US going to the quarterfinals?

Denmark and greece both won the Uefa Euros. Denmark didn't qualify and only got in since another country had to pull out for war reasons.

jabari parker is going to duke sooooooo

the only good thing about them is their coach

and shabazz went to ucla. nothing good about that except socal.

Okay but since they are not forced to go to a bad team and they won't to go to a sure bet team to look good for the draft, odds are already stacked heavily in favor of the big franchises right?

reilo

Denmark and greece both won the Uefa Euros. Denmark didn't qualify and only got in since another country had to pull out for war reasons.

Good call on those two, but I feel like given the sports long history, that is by far a once every 30 years phenomenon. Which, again, exception to the rule.

That's BS about Denmark in 1992. They had Michael Laudrup, the best goalkeeper in the world (Schmeichel) and were a strong team all around. Everyone who follows Football knows they've always had good teams.

Greece, maybe, but if we're talking about WC only, there has never been an upset, the underdog has never won a cup.

NFL is way more prone to upsets than Football or Basketball.

That's BS about Denmark in 1992. They had Michael Laudrup, the best goalkeeper in the world (Schmeichel) and were a strong team all around. Everyone who follows Football knows they've always had good teams

True but they still only got in after a team had to pull out. Pretty cinderella to me. Never said they were bad.

Vahagn

I've said this before but,

Magic, Jordan, Bird, Kobe, Hakeem, Lebron, Timmy, Zeke have won 29 of the last 33 championships.

That's 8 guys playing central roles in 90% of chips in 3 + decades.

Phil, Riley, Pop, Daley, Rudy T have won 24 of the last 30 chips.

That's 6 coaches winning 80% of chips in the last 3 decades.

Legendary level superstar talent + great coaching are pretty necessary. You can get by without it, but not consistently. No one's surprised that Jordan and Hakeem dominated the 90's, Magic and Bird the 80's and Kobe and Timmy the 2000's.

it's hard to have parity in basketball because the best 5 players in basketball mean more than in any other sport.

The best QBs play half the game.
The best pitchers play 20% of the games
The best soccer players cover (mostly) half the field

Then in all the other sports, 1 random play means a LOT more than in basketball. A turnover in basketball is the difference in roughly 1% of the scoring that night. A pick 6 in football can be worth anywhere from 20% to 80% (on average). An error in baseball the same. A weird bounce of the puck in hockey or soccer could be the entire score.

The combination of best players having more direct impact and sheer amount of possessions and scoring opportunities make it hard for a basketball team that is clearly better to lose in a 5 or 7 game series.

TBH, I still don't believe we've seen a seriously overmatched NBA team win a best of 7. Even the Warriors upsetting Dallas in 7 wasn't. They had a midseason trade and their record wasn't representative of how good they were that year as a result. Similar with Spurs but they got hurt before the series.

It's also why no one has ever come back from 3-0 and without a major injury, I don't think it will.

Emwitus

well shit¡ celtics are done!! kg cant score and pierce cant take over games any more.....no rondo to control the offense, score, limit stupid mistakes and just be playof rondo. no ray ray in da clutch. had to see it to believe it. congrats knickers. and lakers aint doing shit with mike d! why start nash after winning 5 straight? frack these playoffs!aint the same without kobe! im out!

frac da knicks!

giri

When has a Cinderella team ever won big in soccer tourneys? I really can't think of any examples.

Uhh, AU made the quarters, if not the semi's one year and lost on a flop by an italian. As shocking as that is.

Au are much bigger under dogs than the US in soccer.

Not that anyone cares about soccer.

In soccer, over the entire tourneys or whatnot, your luck runs out so it's hard for a cinderella team to win it all. The talent disparity is still big enough and soccer players have a bigger impact on the sport than in baseball or football.

That said, regarding the World Cup, there is definitely a home country advantage where almost always the home team over-performs. South Korea 2 world cups ago was a pretty crazy ride.

giri

Is this argument all over the top seeds winning all their games?

Because if it is, thats pretty dumb.

They're the better seed for a reason.

Blablurn

In soccer, over the entire tourneys or whatnot, your luck runs out so it's hard for a cinderella team to win it all. The talent disparity is still big enough and soccer players have a bigger impact on the sport than in baseball or football.

That said, regarding the World Cup, there is definitely a home country advantage where almost always the home team over-performs. South Korea 2 world cups ago was a pretty crazy ride.

mYEk3xF.jpg

Greece won the Euro in 2004 beating all the major favourites like France, Czech Republic and Portugal. I think there was never a bugger cinderella story in football. (maybe Germany winning the World Cup 1954)

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
It's not just the number or games, though. Baseball has tons of randomness. Huge underdogs can win in hockey too.

It happens in basketball all the time, too.. Better teams usually win in all sports.. Don't really what the complaint is.

mYEk3xF.jpg

Greece won the Euro in 2004 beating all the major favourites like France, Czech Republic and Portugal. I think there was never a bugger cinderella story in football. (maybe Germany winning the World Cup 1954)

ah, I forgot about that team. That was a big cinderella run. I'm sure in soccer a cinderella will break through every so many years just because of the math behind it and low scoring.

I honestly don't think we'll ever see a true cinderalla run in basketball. The closest were the 1999 Knicks, but that was a lockout season and Knicks team to end the year was vastly different than the one that started.

I think the '95 rockets is the only title team in like a million years to win the title without being a top 3 seed and they were the defending champs...

masud

Banned
well shit¡ celtics are done!! kg cant score and pierce cant take over games any more.....no rondo to control the offense, score, limit stupid mistakes and just be playof rondo. no ray ray in da clutch. had to see it to believe it. congrats knickers. and lakers aint doing shit with mike d! why start nash after winning 5 straight? frack these playoffs!aint the same without kobe! im out!

frac da knicks!

After one game son? But you were talking so much shit? Soft...

Blackace

ah, I forgot about that team. That was a big cinderella run. I'm sure in soccer a cinderella will break through every so many years just because of the math behind it and low scoring.

I honestly don't think we'll ever see a true cinderalla run in basketball. The closest were the 1999 Knicks, but that was a lockout season and Knicks team to end the year was vastly different than the one that started.

I think the '95 rockets is the only title team in like a million years to win the title without being a top 3 seed and they were the defending champs...

top 3 seed in the west or east or top 3 in the NBA because the 2003-2004 Pistons were the 6th seed in the NBA

Is this argument all over the top seeds winning all their games?

Because if it is, thats pretty dumb.

They're the better seed for a reason.
You really can't figure out why more parity, more upsets, more unexpected runs deep into the playoff would be a good thing for this sport and the cities that harbor these teams?

It happens in basketball all the time, too.. Better teams usually win in all sports.. Don't really what the complaint is.
The point we're making is that it happens far more often in basketball than other sports, not rocket science.

That could be something you like about the game, a preference, but objectively speaking it's not a positive. Stern & Co. have been trying to increase parity for years for this very reason. It's just not healthy for the sport.

Blackace

The point we're making is that it happens far more often in basketball than other sports, not rocket science.

That could be something you like about the game, a preference, but objectively speaking it's not a positive. Stern & Co. have been trying to increase parity for years for this very reason. It's just not healthy for the sport.

Wait a min son best drop your tone

Top Bottom