• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Playoffs |OT| Lakers started from the bottom, and they still there

KingGondo

Banned
your best low post threat has that aspect of his game nullified against MIA cause he gets a bigger, stronger defender in Lebron thrown at him, who can just bully him on the block. that means OKC doesnt have a single good low post option and has to rely entirely on slashing and jumpshooting.
It's a shitty matchup period. I'm not denying that.

Westbrook, Harden, Sefolosha, Durant, Ibaka would be pretty good.
Depends on the lineup Miami uses. It's not like Harden's defense was all-world anyways, especially when he was assigned to a guy like Wade.

The overarching point is that we should only have 1 big on the floor at any given time against Miami, whether that's Ibaka, Collison, or Perk.

Congrats jr!

15o7y3p_zps341bd15a.png

Darkman M

As someone who dislikes ballhogs/inefficient scorers, I think AI was a monster and one of the most exciting players to watch in NBA history. Deserves to be a first ballot HOFer.

It's not like he was ever paired up with Dwight Howard, Pau Gasol, and Steve Nash or anything...
Man you're so clever!

It's a shitty matchup period. I'm not denying that.

Depends on the lineup Miami uses. It's not like Harden's defense was all-world anyways, especially when he was assigned to a guy like Wade.

The overarching point is that we should only have 1 big on the floor at any given time against Miami, whether that's Ibaka, Collison, or Perk.

it didnt have to be tho. Perkins shouldve been amnestied and Harden moved for a good big.

Nori Chan

As someone who dislikes ballhogs/inefficient scorers, I think AI was a monster and one of the most exciting players to watch in NBA history. Deserves to be a first ballot HOFer.

It's not like he was ever paired up with Dwight Howard, Pau Gasol, and Steve Nash or anything...
Yeah fuck those pussys who were injured

I mean it's not like they were gifted FTs at an alarming rate

KingGondo

Banned
it didnt have to be tho. Perkins shouldve been amnestied and Harden moved for a good big.
Yep, since good bigs are so plentiful and easy to get.

Toronto wasn't even willing to trade Valanciunas for Harden. The best big we could've gotten was someone on the level of say, Gortat.

As it stands we're still title contenders and we have a chance to get a decent young big in the draft from the trade. Big men are a crapshoot anyways.

exarkun

Yep, since good bigs are so plentiful and easy to get.

Toronto wasn't even willing to trade Valanciunas for Harden. The best big we could've gotten was someone on the level of say, Gortat.

As it stands we're still title contenders and we have a chance to get a decent young big in the draft from the trade. Big men are a crapshoot anyways.

I mean, uhh, Gortat is waaaaaaay better than fat-ass useless Perkins.

KingGondo

Banned
I mean, uhh, Gortat is waaaaaaay better than fat-ass useless Perkins.
He was suggesting we amnesty Perk and trade Harden for a "good big," then I responded that the best big we would have been able to get would have been Gortat.

So we would have in effect been trading Harden and Perkins for Gortat and whatever else PHX would have been willing to give us (maybe Dudley if we were lucky and maybe a decent pick or two).

And I stand by my statement that Perk is one of those guys who's way more valuable than his stat-line. He's extremely steady and tough inside, and he allows Ibaka to roam the paint and challenge shots. Sure he's not a useful player against every team (Miami especially) but that doesn't mean he doesn't make sense for our team needs. Our record since we traded for him doesn't lie.

balddemon

Banned
It's earth day too, he could just be doing the environmentally responsible thing and cutting back on unnecessary travel.

lol, if only. I'd be a huge fan of him if he did.
Unc fan, right? Well, he's gonna go to kentucky and KU will still have the only all american in the big 12. Idk what unc has besides returning scrubs like mcadoo or whatever but obviously we didn't pay wiggins enough lol.

thekad

Banned
He was suggesting we amnesty Perk and trade Harden for a "good big," then I responded that the best big we would have been able to get would have been Gortat.

So we would have in effect been trading Harden and Perkins for Gortat and whatever else PHX would have been willing to give us (maybe Dudley if we were lucky and maybe a decent pick or two).

And I stand by my statement that Perk is one of those guys who's way more valuable than his stat-line. He's extremely steady and tough inside, and he allows Ibaka to roam the paint and challenge shots. Sure he's not a useful player against every team (Miami especially) but that doesn't mean he doesn't make sense for our team needs. Our record since we traded for him doesn't lie.

Uh, amnesty Perkins and keep Harden. Sign a D-league big on the cheap and you're good with a Ibaka/Collison/Durant rotation for the most part.

Unc fan, right? Well, he's gonna go to kentucky and KU will still have the only all american in the big 12. Idk what unc has besides returning scrubs like mcadoo or whatever but obviously we didn't pay wiggins enough lol.

I watch a fair bit of ACC ball, so more of a conference fan than school fan. I still don't think Wiggins is going to Kentucky. If he had his heart set on going there he wouldn't have reopened his recruitment when it was assumed he was going to either FSU or Kentucky.

KingGondo

Banned
Uh, amnesty Perkins and keep Harden. Sign a D-league big on the cheap and you're good with a Ibaka/Collison/Durant rotation for the most part.
Except against teams like the Grizz with actual inside players. Perk's biggest positive is that he's capable of guarding virtually every C in the league one-on-one, freeing up our other guys to lock down the perimeter and collapse to the rim when guys try to drive.

If we end up facing Memphis (unlikely though it is) I know I'd feel much less confident with Thabeet as our starting C. Same goes for future years when the Lakers get better (assuming Dwight stays).

If we were in the Least I'd probably agree with you. But in the Bestern Conference you need interior defenders who can at least hold their own. The same holds true if we end up facing the Knicks in the Finals. All of a sudden Perk isn't so worthless.

charsace

The Nets are dumb. They should run as many plays as possible for Brook Lopez as they can. They don't though. They don't use his size to pass out of the high post nor do they call enough post plays for him. The nets could grind out teams if they did this.

Live/Live with the 6th man award, yes! Enjoy it!

The Nets are dumb. They should run as many plays as possible for Brook Lopez as they can. They don't though. They don't use his size to pass out of the high post nor do they call enough post plays for him. The nets could grind out teams if they did this.

Yea I was saying if they played fuck ball and just grinded the game out they'd come out on top of most series.

Except against teams like the Grizz with actual inside players. Perk's biggest positive is that he's capable of guarding virtually every C in the league one-on-one, freeing up our other guys to lock down the perimeter and collapse to the rim when guys try to drive.

If we end up facing Memphis (unlikely though it is) I know I'd feel much less confident with Thabeet as our starting C. Same goes for future years when the Lakers get better (assuming Dwight stays).

If we were in the Least I'd probably agree with you. But in the Bestern Conference you need interior defenders who can at least hold their own. The same holds true if we end up facing the Knicks in the Finals. All of a sudden Perk isn't so worthless.

36 million dollars over 4 years to play 4v5 on offense in crunch time.

Marginally better interior defense for 20 minutes a game is not worth it.

And to lose Harden over it? :-/

I can't believe Gondo is still defending Perk. There is literally nobody left on that bandwagon anymore. Let it go. It was a shit signing. They are a better team without him and EVERYONE in the world can see this. You didn't see Laker fans defending Luke in the 3rd and 4th years of his terrible extension.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

Man Perk isn't going to help against the knicks the same reason he can't help against the Heat. Both those teams can go small and avoid the need for perk's post defense..... Ibaka would be the better 5 in most those situations cause he can shot block and the 5's on both the Knicks and Heat look to score mostly from pick and rolls and get rebounds.

You guys really need to draft a Center this year with that pick. There are so many decent one. If you guys draft a Gortat like (score inside player) I will say the thunder have a better chance to win more rings in their window that the Heat have now (due mostly to age and health).

Also Gortat would be a great player on your team I dont see how you can't see that. A true inside scorer would allow the thunder to overwhelm every team out there, shit the center wouldnt even need to be able to post well just create a little fo himself near the basket.

Zeus Molecules

JR!!

14 wins left to go with him before he bolts to somewhere else. Oh well. Let's enjoy it.

knicks might keep him. It depends on if he wants to stay and i get a feeling the organization knows he is playing for them at a bargain. History shows that the knicks will likely overpay him if anything due to that fact....

Lkr

Ugh, hate seeing playoff shirts like those in Miami or OKC. You shouldn't have to force your fans to show team spirit like that.

no one is forced to put them on, just watch a lakers home playoff game where no one wears them

sorry to upset you guys, but wiggins is going to fsu

KingGondo

Banned
36 million dollars over 4 years to play 4v5 on offense in crunch time.

Marginally better interior defense for 20 minutes a game is not worth it.

And to lose Harden over it? :-/
Perk doesn't play in crunch time. We typically close games out with YNB-Martin-Sefolosha-Durant-Ibaka.

And it wasn't just keeping Perk that forced us to trade Harden. Ibaka's deal was probably a more immediate factor.
I can't believe Gondo is still defending Perk. There is literally nobody left on that bandwagon anymore. Let it go. It was a shit signing. They are a better team without him and EVERYONE in the world can see this. You didn't see Laker fans defending Luke in the 3rd and 4th years of his terrible extension.
He's simply not as bad as everyone here is saying. He provides the axis and core of our defense that allows us to do the things we do well (protect the rim, get stops and get out in transition) in a much more efficient fashion. Before we got him, there was a massive void in our interior and he helped fill that. Yes, he certainly has deficiencies and yes he's overpaid, but to say that he provides nothing to the team is silly.

Zeus Molecules said:
You guys really need to draft a Center this year with that pick. There are so many decent one. If you guys draft a Gortat like (score inside player) I will say the thunder have a better chance to win more rings in their window that the Heat have now (due mostly to age and health).
My guess is we'll go after Olynyk, who fits the bill perfectly as long as his game transitions well to the pro level.

theres something hilarious about both the celtics and bulls sharing the same hotel. must be one gloomy ass place right now lol

regarding JR, i hope he stays. he has definitely matured and improved strictly because of woodson. the organizations son cant leave

no one is forced to put them on, just watch a lakers home playoff game where no one wears them

sorry to upset you guys, but wiggins is going to fsu

Didn't mean "forced" in that sense. But it's like a weird cult thing going on (looks better in college since the students wear a variety of shirts).

knicks might keep him. It depends on if he wants to stay and i get a feeling the organization knows he is playing for them at a bargain. History shows that the knicks will likely overpay him if anything due to that fact....

Knicks can give him 5M next season, and then a bit more each additional year. It's probably not enough. Matching a 9M a year contract? Doubtful.

masud

Banned
Knicks can give him 5M next season, and then a bit more each additional year. It's probably not enough. Matching a 9M a year contract? Doubtful.

I don't think teams are gonna give him much more than that with the new cap rules. Knicks will probably resign him.

Zeus Molecules

whooooooooo!

someone is gonna throw paper at at JR. I don't think the knicks will be able to match because of cap reasons.

Knicks have his early bird rights the question is would they be willing to match. it would put them over the cap likely for 1-2 years since Amare's expiring is likely gone at the trade deadline the season after next.

They can do it the question is will JR "work with them". I mean the gave his brother 2-3 million to show up to camp as a way to hook JR with a little more. If the knicks want to keep him and he wants to stay I can see the knicks paying him. They could also give him (and his family) some more cash through a one year deal with his brother again.

Zeus Molecules

LOL, how the fuck have you come to believe that?

because they gave his brother a deal to come to summer camp and then he was "injured" and sent to the D league but kept all that money.... It happened all in the preseason but it was obvious his brother wasn't going to make the roster. but they gave him a check anyway

I'm predicting a Mayo / J.R Smith swap.

I said that too. idk if its possible (due to the CBA) but I see it as a possibility and you slot OJ to 6th man and hope Woodson can rein him in as well. Potential is there and Cuban being Cuban would love to steal a knicks player back for kidd and tyson leaving

because they gave his brother a deal to come to summer camp and then he was "injured" and sent to the D league but kept all that money.... It happened all in the preseason but it was obvious his brother wasn't going to make the roster. but they gave him a check anyway

A 3 million check? You're crazy, that's not how these camp invitations work

Zeus Molecules

A 3 million check? You're crazy, that's not how these camp invitations work

your right make it 1 million partially guaranteed 2 year deal.... then he was waived so he is probably taking home a million... either way they can do it again if necessary. it would of been 2+ if they had made it guranteed.

Top Bottom