• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Playoffs |OT2| Rose has no Muscle Memories, Durant having Russell Memories

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorldStar

Banned
dwyane-wade-capri.jpg

lol

effzee

Problem with Kidd isn't his scoring though obviously averaging 0 points is very detrimental.

He was never a scorer and his presence and outstanding play existed outside of scoring 20+ points.

Problem is he isn't doing anything else that always made him effective. He can't stay in front of players so he is getting blown by on D. His assist and rebounding #s are putrid. Why he gets to play 10 + minutes when Pablo played only 3 points.

Kidd with a playoff PER of 5.7 and a PPG of 1.7 PER 36 minutes.

ORTG of 65 and a TS% of .22.

All while getting 24 MPG

Meanwhile Novak gets zero minutes.

There is literally no way Novak or Copeland or Prigioni are worse defenders than Jason Kidd is. And all those guys are definitely better shooters than him. And at least one of those guys at this point in their careers can operate as the second ball-handler/passer just as well.

So why does he play all those minutes, but Novak and Copeland can never get even 10 minutes? Why did Prigioni play only 3 minutes?

Problem with Kidd isn't his scoring though obviously averaging 0 points is very detrimental.

He was never a scorer and his presence and outstanding play existed outside of scoring 20+ points.

Problem is he isn't doing anything else that always made him effective. He can't stay in front of players so he is getting blown by on D. His assist and rebounding #s are putrid. Why he gets to play 10 + minutes when Pablo played only 3 points.

Pablo's problem is his passiveness on offense. Dude blatantly refuses to make a layup when he has an opening and just kicks it back out.

giri

There is literally no way Novak or Copeland or Prigioni are worse defenders than Jason Kidd is. And all those guys are definitely better shooters than him. And at least one of those guys at this point in their careers can operate as the second ball-handler/passer just as well.

So why does he play all those minutes, but Novak and Copeland can never get even 10 minutes? Why did Prigioni play only 3 minutes?

And yet, he is.

Defense is kind of irrelevant. The Knicks need someone on the court who isn't going to shoot out of the league bad like Melo and JR Smith are doing right now.

What Kidd is doing offensively...he wouldn't even be allowed to play more than a game at Rucker.

giri

Defense is kind of irrelevant. The Knicks need someone on the court who isn't going to shoot out of the league bad like Melo and JR Smith are doing right now.

What Kidd is doing offensively...he wouldn't even be allowed to play more than a game at Rucker.

You're right. If a guy like melo can't shoot a good % against the pacers, i'm sure novak can.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
You're right. If a guy like melo can't shoot a good % against the pacers, i'm sure novak can.

Carmelo having a shitty shooting performance in the playoffs isn't exactly some kind of anomaly. He's shot better than 45% throughout the playoffs 3 times. Worse than 40%? Five times.

giri

Carmelo having a shitty shooting performance in the playoffs isn't exactly some kind of anomaly. He's shot better than 45% throughout the playoffs 3 times. Worse than 40%? Five times.

You're right, i forgot how great Novak is at shot creation and how great the rest of that team is playing.

reilo

You're right, i forgot how great Novak is at shot creation and how great the rest of that team is playing.

It's not Novak versus Carmelo, it's about how terrible Jason Kidd is right now.

Novak isn't the solution. Novak is the kind of player that is always shut down in the postseason.

You can justify it since Kidd has been so bad that you have to throw shit at the wall to see what sticks. But it won't work.

One dimensional offensive players who can't defend have no value during the playoffs. Bonner, Novak, Perkins (granted he's zero dimensional), etc never do shit that matters in a real series.

lulz

Novak has doubled Kidds offensive production in under a fourth of his minutes.

A fourth.

Novak isn't the solution. Novak is the kind of player that is always shut down in the postseason.

You can justify it since Kidd has been so bad that you have to throw shit at the wall to see what sticks. But it won't work.

Not saying that he's going to win the series, but its almost a guarantee that he's better than Kidd at this point.

thekad

Banned

One dimensional offensive players who can't defend have no value during the playoffs. Bonner, Melo, Novak, Perkins (granted he's zero dimensional), etc never do shit that matters in a real series.

agreed

giri

One dimensional offensive players who can't defend have no value during the playoffs. Bonner, Novak, Perkins (granted he's zero dimensional), etc never do shit that matters in a real series.

Bingo.

Thats the actual correct answer on why you try Novak in the series. Not because you actually expect him to do anything good. Or that you can justify it in any real sense. It's just a desperation "fuck it" move.

effzee

Pablo's problem is his passiveness on offense. Dude blatantly refuses to make a layup when he has an opening and just kicks it back out.

Be that so, at least he is driving and then kicking out for a potential open look.

Kidd can't even beat anyone off the dribble. Looks stupid.

Where is his kid and wife that he used to beat up on?

I feel its a bit unfair to put Bonner in that group. He hasn't been great, but at 6-8 mpg he is a valuable tool. He's shooting 62% on 3s in the playoffs ffs. His defense is atrocious but tbh there are enough poor offensive big men that you can slot Bonner in during those stretches and he helps you win games.

[trouble is, he's at 17 mpg. But thats a bit inflated because of injuries and blowouts...it'll come back down and no one will complain. Sometimes its just an issue of players being asked to do more than they're capable of]

giri

I feel its a bit unfair to put Bonner in that group. He hasn't been great, but at 6-8 mpg he is a valuable tool. He's shooting 62% on 3s in the playoffs ffs. His defense is atrocious but tbh there are enough poor offensive big men that you can slot Bonner in during those stretches and he helps you win games.

[trouble is, he's at 17 mpg. But thats a bit inflated because of injuries and blowouts...it'll come back down and no one will complain. Sometimes its just an issue of players being asked to do more than they're capable of]

Isn't bonner the 4th choice C after Splitter, Dunan, Diaw, Blair.

Oh, no, he's the 5th choice.

Isn't bonner the 4th choice C after Splitter, Dunan, Diaw, Blair.

Oh, no, he's the 5th choice.

No, he is better than Blair. Blair sucks.

More appropriately, he's the 4th choice big. 1 Timmy 2 Tiago 3 Diaw 4 Bonner. Theres 96 minutes to go around (sans small ball) in that rotation so 6-8 for him is quite alright.

We're better off with him playing those spot minutes than forcing Boris to go 30+ a night.

reilo

Of course. But that assumes you read the context of why that was made. I assume you did. Other wise your statement is just silly.

I just had issue with the fact that Melo is looked at some kind of standard -- maybe on that shit Knicks team. My point being is that, Melo not performing in the playoffs isn't exactly newsworthy. He tends to not show up in the playoffs.

giri

No, he is better than Blair. Blair sucks.

More appropriately, he's the 4th choice big. 1 Timmy 2 Tiago 3 Diaw 4 Bonner. Theres 96 minutes to go around (sans small ball) in that rotation so 6-8 for him is quite alright.

We're better off with him playing those spot minutes than forcing Boris to go 30+ a night.

Right. So. He's a end of bench guy.

I wonder why that is.

giri

I just had issue with the fact that Melo is looked at some kind of standard -- maybe on that shit Knicks team. My point being, is that Melo not performing in the playoffs isn't exactly newsworthy. He tends to not show up in the playoffs.

Yes, we know you have issues. Particularly with Melo.

But again, i assume you read the context. And not just saw melo and went off.

That would be pimp level.

reilo

Yes, we know you have issues. Particularly with Melo.

But again, i assume you read the context. And not just saw melo and went off.

That would be pimp level.

The idea that Novak is incapable of scoring in his limited role because Melo can't is a bit of an absurd argument, no?

Anyway:

Sam Amick said:
The NBA Board of Governors has voted down the relocation bid to move the Kings to Seattle, @USATODAYsports has learned

welp

giri

The idea that Novak is incapable of scoring in his limited role because Melo can't is a bit of an absurd argument, no?

Yeah, because Novak is such a stunning offensive player. You're right i guess. He'll tear that pacers d apart. Probably break out of his 4 consecutive year 3pt % drop too.

reilo

Yeah, because Novak is such a stunning offensive player. You're right i guess. He'll tear that pacers d apart. Probably break out of his 4 consecutive year 3pt % drop too.

He's shooting 44% from three in the playoffs. Prigioni is shooting 40%.

Felton? 33%
Carmelo? 30%
JR? 28%
Kidd? 17%

Shumps is the starting units best three point shooter. I'll let you stew on that a minute.

I wonder why that is.

The other problem with Bonner besides the shit defense is he gums up the offense. I mean, yeah, that's part of being one dimensional. But even when Manu was shooting like dog shit from 3, he'd at least take the shot when he was open. Golden State had to respect the fact that at any given point he would get hot. If Bonner did that much (attempted shots in the flow of the offense, even if he missed them), I actually wouldn't mind him that much with the spot minutes. But the fact that the fucker won't shoot unless he has like 5-10 feet of open space just...ugh....

giri

He's shooting 44% from three in the playoffs. Prigioni is shooting 40%.

Felton? 33%
Carmelo? 30%
JR? 28%
Kidd? 17%

Shumps is the starting units best three point shooter. I'll let you stew on that a minute.

All that was extremely relevant i assume. in some way. probably. maybe. Ok, not really.

reilo

All that was extremely relevant i assume. in some way. probably. maybe. Ok, not really.

Right, a team that won 54 games and started off on an extremely hot three point shooting streak and rode it into the playoffs is struggling to make three pointers, so the key is to not play the guys that found them some success to their cuckoo formula that got them this far.

giri

The other problem with Bonner besides the shit defense is he gums up the offense. I mean, yeah, that's part of being one dimensional. But even when Manu was shooting like dog shit from 3, he'd at least take the shot when he was open. Golden State had to respect the fact that at any given point he would get hot. If Bonner did that much (attempted shots in the flow of the offense, even if he missed them), I actually wouldn't mind him that much with the spot minutes. But the fact that the fucker won't shoot unless he has like 5-10 feet of open space just...ugh....

Don't disagree. IIRC, pop even got mad at him about it several times back when he was forced to play bonner big minutes in meaningful time. It's why ibaka losing confidence in his shot is really REALLY bad for the thunder too.

If you usually make those shots, and your roll in the offense is to take them, and you're open, and you have the ball, take the damn shot.

I wonder why that is.

Well, yeah. He's not very good. Obviously.

I'm just sayin hes better than Novak dude. I hate when people lump them together cause Matty at least has some value.

And lawd knows why Perk even plays still. Dude can't even move.

Well, yeah. He's not very good. Obviously.

I'm just sayin hes better than Novak dude. I hate when people lump them together cause Matty at least has some value.

And lawd knows why Perk even plays still. Dude can't even move.

Championship experience bro! Thunder have Fisher and Perk to let KD and YNB know how it's done

giri

Right, a team that won 54 games and started off on an extremely hot three point shooting streak and rode it into the playoffs is struggling to make three pointers, so the key is to not play the guys that found them some success to their cuckoo formula that got them this far.

Yes, Novak was instrumental in them losing atleast 32 games, i agree. I thought with his efforts they'd lose at least 40.

Thankfully there are other guys on the team that play much more important roles and on both ends.

They're not making three pointers because the Pacers are the best three point defenders in the league.

They're not making three pointers because the Pacers are the best three point defenders in the league.

Exactly. And one dimensional players like Novak are even easier for that team to stop.

The Knicks problem is the problem most teams have in the playoffs (other than Miami). No one to throw the ball into the post and get easy hoops. Sure, Melo can do it a little, but they need a real big man to do it.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
How can the NBA justify keeping the Kings in Sacramento versus Seattle? Seattle is a much bigger market, and its fanbase would support the team more, and they offered the Maloofs more money.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Adam Silver expects Seattle to get a new franchise after the TV deal is done.
https://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo/status/334799047036645377

NBA suppose to start negotiations on a new TV deal this summer.

What team might that be?
How can the NBA justify keeping the Kings in Sacramento versus Seattle? Seattle is a much bigger market, and its fanbase would support the team more, and they offered the Maloofs more money.

Kings have a pretty good fanbase
Any team poorly managed is going to lose fans

Cuttino Mobley hasn’t played in an NBA game since November 19, 2008. However, the 37-year-old is hoping to change that next season. Mobley is looking to attempt an NBA comeback after retiring nearly five years ago due to the heart ailment hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.

wat

Exactly. And one dimensional players like Novak are even easier for that team to stop.

The Knicks problem is the problem most teams have in the playoffs (other than Miami). No one to throw the ball into the post and get easy hoops. Sure, Melo can do it a little, but they need a real big man to do it.

They need someone else who can score[no not jr]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom