• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Playoffs |OT2| Rose has no Muscle Memories, Durant having Russell Memories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Duncan had 3 fouls.

Keynames: CP3, KDurant.

So what? Gasol was playing with 5 why can't Duncan?

Benching someone lat in the game with 5 fouls is the dumbest coaching move a coach can make besides playing Perkins.

You're trying to prevent Duncan from being benched by...benching him!

thekad

Banned
I'd say the Grizzlies should sign Korver in the offseason but Prince is still signed for 2 more years and they have to resign Tony. Maybe they can make a trade for Granger somehow.

San Antonio, I told you not to take your foot off the gas, and what do you do!?! I have such a love/hate relationship with Ginobli right now. All I can say is San Antonio better look long and hard at what went wrong in the 4th. Even the new Daft Punk album couldn't save me from almost having a heart attack.

Speaking of Daft Punk, did anyone else catch the commentator on ESPN giving a nod to Daft Punk? They really are a lot bigger than I thought.

h1nch

I don't think they were fortunate, to be honest. The Grizz were the lucky ones to get it tied at the end of regulation. The Spurs were bricking tons of wide open shots during the last 3 minutes or so in the 4th. If only one of those wide open threes went down, it would have been over. Plus I still have my doubts about that flagrant foul. Looked just like a hard foul to prevent a layup.

Also, is it me or does Randolph shoves his opponents a lot and gets away with it? He did like three times during this game, both on offense and defense, and the refs just look the other way.

Finally, thank you based Timmy. Still delivering after all these years.

Good points. Though I didn't like the way a lot of their late 4th quarter possessions were run. Lots of sloppy play. That combined with all the other factors resulted in a perfect storm which often times results in a loss.

So what? Gasol was playing with 5 why can't Duncan?

Benching someone lat in the game with 5 fouls is the dumbest coaching move a coach can make besides playing Perkins.

You're trying to prevent Duncan from being benched by...benching him!

Pop obviously knew that Memphis was going to send it into OT despite their best efforts, so he sat Duncan and preserved him for the critical final OT minutes where he knew Tim would come through with big shots.

Which of course is exactly what happened!

giri

I'd say the Grizzlies should sign Korver in the offseason but Prince is still signed for 2 more years and they have to resign Tony. Maybe they can make a trade for Granger somehow.

Is Granger that different much better than Rudy?

Maybe.

If they could do it holding onto prince so he could run the second unit, that would be pretty amazing. But i think it will cost them Prince & Ed Davis for a deal like that.

How ever if they got Granger & Hansbrough or something like that back it would be workable.

But Prince has been pretty great for them defensively. And he's been brilliant for them for feeding the post.

Could happen depending on what happens with D.West i guess.

The problem for Memphis isn't a really a lack of 3 point shooters but rather a lack of shooters who come off movement. Prince can hit the 3 but he isn't taking any because he just stands in a spot without the ball. The only off-ball action created besides trying to get ZBO in the post is for Allen cutting or Bayless and occasionally Conley if Marc has it up top.

But they have no one who consistently is running through screens to try to get open in their starting lineup. It's easy to defend Prince when he's a spot up shooter and nothing more when he doesn't have the ball.

A guy like Korver would do wonders for their offense. The Spurs have hit some more shots until late in the game tonight because they're not running around as much on defense as they did versus the Warriors. All that action got Green and the others more tired for their 3s plus every shot seemed bigger since they had trouble getting stops. Not so versus Memphis.

Pondexter needs to start over Prince in this series. Prince and Allen together doesn't work because the Spurs have 2 defensive bigs in Duncan and Splitter to disrupt the Memphis bigs and without much off ball action for a shooter, it's tough.

Memphis needs to make that switch + force Parker to be a scorer rather than a passer. I think those are the two big adjustments to give Memphis a shot of coming back.

Mothman91

grizzlols_medium.gif

Yep. You need a scoring big AND 3pt threats to beat Miami. Duncan does not score enough to get it done

he doesnt need to do the bulk of the scoring, 10-12 points a game is good enough. He isnt the key against MIA anyway, not on the offensive end, that's Tony Parker. His penetration opens up SA's three ball. Memphis aint doubling Duncan either, and theyve hit 24 threes in the last two games.

he doesnt need to do the bulk of the scoring, 10-12 points a game is good enough. He isnt the key against MIA anyway, not on the offensive end, that's Tony Parker. His penetration opens up SA's three ball. Memphis aint doubling Duncan either, and theyve hit 24 threes in the last two games.

9/25 today, only 36%. 1st game was a franchise record so it is an anomaly. I bet today is more like what we'll see the rest of the series for the spurs (30-40% range).

Also, Memphis can't put Lebron on Parker. That's the trump card.

9/25 today, only 36%. 1st game was a franchise record so it is an anomaly. I bet today is more like what we'll see the rest of the series for the spurs (30-40% range).

Also, Memphis can't put Lebron on Parker. That's the trump card.

Im tired of youre lack of respect for SA. You said they'd have trouble in the first round, FFS.

Im tired of youre lack of respect for SA. You said they'd have trouble in the first round, FFS.

Yeah well, I was like the only one on OKC's bandwagon despite being down 2-0 last year, so I don't care if you think I don't respect 'em.

Not like I didn't say no one is beating Miami, regardless. And I've said throughout I'd be surprised to see Miami lose 2 games in a series so I'm not respecting anyone but Miami, then.

Besides, you mischaracterized my position. I specifically said Nash would have to be healthy and TP/Manu not.

thekad

Banned
Parker and Manu were gimpy and they still easily swept.

I'm pretty sure I was the only one in here who predicted OKC would reverse sweep last year too.

Parker and Manu were gimpy and they still easily swept.

I'm pretty sure I was the only one in here who predicted OKC would reverse sweep last year too.

Yeah, but Nash wasn't healthy which was my other condition. Then Blake got hurt too, lol.

I always said OKC was going to win last year. I remember you said it too, though.

I'm not confident in memphis like I was in OKC, though.

giri

BTW, i think the grizz would be better off getting a package of something like dudley/frye for Ed davis & a pick or something, than going for a home run in Granger.

Both Frye and Dudley are catch'n'shoot guys, don't need to dribble first, which is what memphis really need.

Those are the two that come to mind i'm sure there's another pairing similar though.

I really don't think Korver fits this memphis team, his D is just no where near good enough to ever get consistent minutes. Not with their play style.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
What's the point of going for a player like Granger considering they just got rid of Rudy Gay?

giri

What's the point of going for a player like Granger considering they just got rid of Rudy Gay?

Yeah, i'm not sure there is one really. You really want to try and keep the ball in Marc / Mike's hands as much as possible, even if others are taking shots. Granger... whilst a good shooter... after the last few seasons i think of him less as a spot up guy. Hence why i think a pieces deal for guys who are spot up shooters, would be better.

I mean if they could steal someone like wes matthews (6.8M) or ilyasova (7.9M) or something like that it'd be ideal. (if they could steal reddick an UFA, even better.)

reilo

The other big reason they got rid of Gay was because of his big upcoming contract. Granger is an expiring for $14mil, but that's a lot of salary they have to send back to Indiana.

giri

You guys know the series isn't over yet? Talking like it's the offseason thread.

I think most of us have been saying this about the grizz for a while.

I think todays game showed that this is a live series, not a forgone conclusion at all.

And if Z-bo can get it going at all...

I think most of us have been saying this about the grizz for a while.

I think todays game showed that this is a live series, not a forgone conclusion at all.

And if Z-bo can get it going at all...

Z-bo did most of his damage when Duncan was sitting. Not that I don't think he can't tear us up the rest of the series though.....Duncan's interior defense this playoffs has been amazing.

Anyway, who do you guys think the long delay between game 2 and 3 helps the most? I'd think the Spurs since the team is older and Pop would have more time to make adjustments.

Z-bo did most of his damage when Duncan was sitting. Not that I don't think he can't tear us up the rest of the series though.....Duncan's interior defense this playoffs has been amazing.

Anyway, who do you guys think the long delay between game 2 and 3 helps the most? I'd think the Spurs since the team is older and Pop would have more time to make adjustments.

I don't think it really means anything because people say all the time "this layoff will help team X!" and then that team loses

Damn

The Spurs held to the Grizzlies to 4-of-24 shooting (16.7%) inside 5 feet of the basket when Tim Duncan was on court in Game 2, compared to 9-of-14 shooting (64.3%) when Duncan was on the bench. The league average field goal percentage inside 5 feet this season was 59.4%.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
BTW, i think the grizz would be better off getting a package of something like dudley/frye for Ed davis & a pick or something, than going for a home run in Granger.

Both Frye and Dudley are catch'n'shoot guys, don't need to dribble first, which is what memphis really need.

Those are the two that come to mind i'm sure there's another pairing similar though.

I really don't think Korver fits this memphis team, his D is just no where near good enough to ever get consistent minutes. Not with their play style.

I like this idea. Both Dudley and Frye would fit on this current Grizz team.

lol fuuuuuuuuck

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...s-angeles-lakers-gm-mike-dantoni-hire-laughed

LOS ANGELES -- When Los Angeles Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak called Phil Jackson to tell him the Lakers were hiring Mike D'Antoni instead of him as coach, he responded the only way he knew how.

"I laughed," Jackson told ESPN's "Mike & Mike in the Morning" show Wednesday. "It was humorous to me when Mitch said that we think that Mike is a better coach for this group of guys."

reilo

OT3 title ideas, go!

Also, post GIFs, articles, whatever. PM me to make sure something goes into the OP, otherwise I might not see it.

Nori Chan

OT3 title ideas, go!

Also, post GIFs, articles, whatever. PM me to make sure something goes into the OP, otherwise I might not see it.

|OT3|The Inevitable disappearance of Justin Timberlake
|OT3|Can the Heat win the championship already?
|OT3|Fuck the knicks
|OT3|Fuckball cannot stop the reign of terror

also for offseason 2 thread:
|OT2| #DYCurse; Karma at it's finest

The Spurs held to the Grizzlies to 4-of-24 shooting (16.7%) inside 5 feet of the basket when Tim Duncan was on court in Game 2, compared to 9-of-14 shooting (64.3%) when Duncan was on the bench. The league average field goal percentage inside 5 feet this season was 59.4%.

Most important stat of the game.

I don't know why Hollins is touting a moral victory. They were dominated for 7 quarters straight, and tbh, they never really "figured anything out" in that 4th. We had Timmy back in for the overtime and it was lights out.

Of course, that can all change, and most likely will, with the way Zach's confidence has taken a u-turn, but I hope this also means they won't make any adjustments....cause I like our gameplan.

Great video detailing the Spurs' playbook

Its odd to hear so many people say the Spurs "keep it simple" or "play basic" when they run some of the most complex and involved sets in basketball...and a ton of it is original to them too. Pop invented half of this shit.

We run so many variations of zipper now. Tony creates a ton of havoc even without the ball...his stamina is incredible.

exarkun

OT3 The Trailblazers Still Haven't Made the Playoffs

OT3 CP3 Needs a Brotha

OT3 Phil is Phree

edit: Why isn't George Hill in that Picture?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom