• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of the Last Hope for Image Quality

prototype22014-09-212puuxc.png

prototype22014-09-212jrc3l.png

Shumafuk

2002? you can't be serious

Try google images of inventory screen. Characters in close view have visible polygons and anatomy is nice fail. I don't think that is visual style, it's just "our target gamers don't give sh*t about graphic". But we are in 2014 with almost no limitations by HW. Guys in inXile started where they ended (speaking just about graphic and technical stuffs).

But you can use to it.

Xyber

Time to finally finish The Witcher 2. I've lost the saves for this game more times than I can even remember.. Just got done with the damn prologue at least, so that's something.

I'm still impressed by how good the textures on (most of) the gear looks today compared to most games.

15139907240_af0913eb8b_o.png

Don't know. I can't hook up both of my monitors (1 card, 1 DVI slot) so I couldn't keep an eye on EVGA Precision. I never enable on screen displays because I never really care about FPS, just that it feels good.

I'll check when I get home from work.

midhras

The Long* Dark.

I played the alpha a lot in the past couple weeks. Pity that it's Unity, so there's nothing in the way of free cameras and the like. I liked the visuals, but I'm betting it won't be long before this gets branded as an eating simulator. I don't know if it's a smart thing that they've released it in alpha stage. I think the game needs a story.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Well there are lot of even older games that look just fine. The art direction, textures etc. are just so bad in GoW. Personal opinions vary of course.

For context, Gears of War was launching in the same year alongside games which looked like this.

1751913-nehrimscreen0.jpg

222107_full.jpg

490140.jpg

For context, Gears of War was launching in the same year alongside games which looked like this.

1751913-nehrimscreen0.jpg

222107_full.jpg

490140.jpg

Gears of War was like Ryse of it's time (although actually good). It was released on a relativity new console to show of its technical prowess, later to be released on PC.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
What he's talking about in regards to Gears of War is I imagine stuff like this

Full color range, 16 colors, 8 colors.

gears_of_color_by_alooo81-d80a5lk.png

The game isn't very colorful. I still think on a technical level it looks really great for it's time, and even aesthetically there is some cool stuff, but the game definitely isn't the most vibrant.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
I kind of lost my will to play any 3d game game because I'm waiting for my 970. I'll finally join the downsampling club! :lol

D&D collection from GOG and Wasteland 2 coming to the rescue though.

Parsnip

The game isn't very colorful. I still think on a technical level it looks really great for it's time, and even aesthetically there is some cool stuff, but the game definitely isn't the most vibrant.

So a literal turd then because everything is so brown. :p

I'll be curious to see 5K shots of the "Look at all that JUICE!" part though. My memory of the imulsion rivers says it was almost as blindingly bright as the lava in Dark Souls, but that's probably not true.

Gbraga

Is downsampling through gedosato better than just regular OGSSAA? I thought the main use was to have downsampling on games that didn't support it, but RE6 does.

Great shots, btw

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Is downsampling through gedosato better than just regular OGSSAA? I thought the main use was to have downsampling on games that didn't support it, but RE6 does.

Great shots, btw

Yep, it is better.

If you use GeDoSaTo, you can choose which scaling algorithm you want to use, so you can downsample with Bicubic downsampling, or Lanczos downsampling and get visuals that are identical to what most people get resizing afterwards in Photoshop.

Also, GeDoSaTo does multi-step downsampling, meaning resolutions above 2x your screen res get downsampled more than once.

Ex:
5120x2800 -> 3840x2160 -> 1920x1080 w/ Bicubic filtering​

as opposed to

5120x2880 -> 1920x1080 w/ Bilinear​

Which provides better results. Along with all the other benefits it offers, if it works for a game, it's basically a straight upgrade!

BONKERS

Great shots, btw

Regular driver downsampling is limited to a useful ratio of 2x2 generally.
And it only uses a bilinear filter.

However, GeDoSaTo doesn't really have a resolution limit, and better filters to choose from.

But, downsampling a game with noAA at the downsampling resolution still is going to look very aliased. Regardless of Driver based or GeDoSaTo. Even Nvidia's built in OGSSAA modes (1x2,2x2,3x3,4x4,etc) suffer the same issues in a lot of games.

If you downsample, you generally need to combine other AA methods in conjunction to get a worthwhile result (IE: MSAA,FXAA/SMAA,other post processing AA). Unless you are playing your game at insane ratios that are unplayable.

Top Bottom