• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of the Last Hope for Image Quality

Blizzard

Banned
I wonder if there are a few post-processing effects which do not show up in Fraps screenshots in Ethan Carter. I do feel like it looks a bit better and/or sharper in motion than in screenshots, somehow, though perhaps it is my imagination. I actually do not remember there being ANY moire-ish texture effects in the distance, which is great.

At any rate I can understand that some might not like the soft visual style, but I personally felt it was cohesive and well done. The textures tend to be particularly enjoyable.

Here are two quick shots from my playthrough. I will dig through the rest of my screenshots another time to see if I have anything worth posting.

astronautsgame-win64-6ek0h.png

astronautsgame-win64-qcj16.png

*edit* Updated to remove black bars, sorry!

BONKERS

I only spent a few minutes sprinting around marveling at the visuals. I will sink my teeth into it tomorrow. The textures are SO GOOD!

But does it require 6GB of VRAM ?
2.jpg

Textures do look insanely good though. I think the first commercial game i've seen with vanilla textures near MalDo quality (C2)

UnrealEck

ethan3kfugj.jpg

ethan4glujz.jpg

If you want 4K screens, try windowed fullscreen and use printscreen and paint. Or some sort of desktop capture printscreen program.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I'm grabbing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter tonight. I've never even heard of it before coming in this thread. Looks incredible.

midhras

I'm using MSI afterburner to capture screenshots. That's working for me so long as the game is in windowed mode.
OR you could use the in-game screenshot function. UE3 remember? That is if you're not messing with shaders. Not that there's a need (beyond maybe some injected SMAA).

It's generally not a good idea to post 34MB images in a screenshot thread...

Not to mention that it could be a great deal smaller if it were a JPG.

OR you could use the in-game screenshot function. UE3 remember? That is if you're not messing with shaders. Not that there's a need (beyond maybe some injected SMAA).

I didn't try it, but figured all the commands were diabled (nothing has worked for me thus far). Maybe I'll give that a shot (hah)

It's actually not when high quality JPGs are indistinguishable from PNGs. I've never had a single complaint about my JPGs. Hell, ALO81 would argue that I should save my JPGs at 98% quality in FastStone instead of 100%.

Balls. New page. Here's another JPG from Ethan Carter.

15172872710_4108a21429_o.jpg

Such trees. Many atmosphere.

1 last shot from me to show off these lovely textures:

15359572645_8b9a3db342_o.jpg

Given the nature of this game, everyone is going to see pretty much the same thing. So unless I can wrangle a particularly unique shot out of it, I'm going to stop taking screenshots and just enjoy it :)

Screenshots really don't do the game justice.

Agreed.

Xyber

Screenshots really don't do the game justice. Looks so great in motion. I was trying to make a little webm of a nice looking part, but as soon as I started recording the game would just stutter whenever I turned the camera. =/

Currently don't have GF Experience installed due to some new bug that gives me some error when I launch certain games, so don't know if shadowplay would do the trick here.

BONKERS

I'm using MSI afterburner to capture screenshots. That's working for me so long as the game is in windowed mode.

Doesn't work in fullscreen?

Also: Is the game DX9?
It's actually not when high quality JPGs are indistinguishable from PNGs. I've never had a single complaint about my JPGs. Hell, ALO81 would argue that I should save my JPGs at 98% quality in FastStone instead of 100%.

Gorgeous.

But yeah, JPGs, as long as they are Level 12 photoshop or 98-100% in faststone. You are set.

Black/contrast crush: The Game

Spazznid

Many indeed. I need that graphics in my lizard veins.

Galucha

Neo Member
I don't understand. How can this game look this good, and have such good performance. Like it looks better than Skyrim does with all those mods, and the framerate is 10x better.

Through the power of Epic's Unreal Engine™ 3

but seriously, props to the astronauts for making it look this good

Jedi2016

Yeah, my FRAPS is definitely getting a screenshot workout with VoEC. Best-looking game I've played in years, and 1080p/60 all the way. And I'm only like thirty minutes into the game.. lol. Can't wait to get further in.

I am correct in that it doesn't have a built-in screenshot tool, right? Pity for a game that looks like this, but that's what stuff like FRAPS is for.

midhras

Think Dear Esther. You can use F9 to take a screenshot which gets dumped to the usual UE3 documents folder. That's if you're not running shaders of course. AA does get applied with that screenshot function. You can use Flawless Widescreen and SRWE in tandem to run the game at any AR/resolution combo. Please be gentle. And remember kids, it's all too easy to spoil everyone's fun by showing too much. The game deserves a bit of space for people to discover it through gameplay rather than screens.

Bl@de

I don't understand. How can this game look this good, and have such good performance. Like it looks better than Skyrim does with all those mods, and the framerate is 10x better.

It's not a crappy port like 99% of modern games ... and of course the absence of many typical things like AI (esp. pathfinding etc.).

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Ethan Carter looks gorgeous.

That Valve magic at work. Something about their games leaves a really unique fingerprint.

Top Bottom