• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of the Last Hope for Image Quality

7Sins

Neo Member
ibuAliiTobdeDx.png
icfQgH3DOva7J.png

RK9039

Wow, Wakfu. And it looks like people are actually playing? The primary reason I stopped playing was the population completely died :(

Yeah there seems to be a lot of people playing this now because it went F2P, it's my first time trying this game though. It looks so good.

According to the Nvidia and Space Engine forums, the game is still broken with new driver that was released yesterday.... hello Nvidia? How long do I have to stay at the 377 driver version? I want to try this DSR functionality when it's out for the 700 series :/

15288378081_41a5d42d28_o.jpg

15268497416_1c8c45eedf_o.jpg

UnrealEck

What causes that banding you see there in that last screenshot? Is it compression? Reducing the number of colours in the image?

What causes that banding you see there in that last screenshot? Is it compression? Reducing the number of colours in the image?

I actually don't know but have asked this question myself several times. I suspect it's the YCbCr color mode I use to avoid full RGB on my plasma where I have my pc hooked up to (the only way to trick the Nvidia color system into using limited RGB when using HDMI and higher resolution than 1080p) ... it's only a guess but that is a more "compressed" color space afaik (a compressed signal for the transmission) and that maybe is responsible.
As I said, that's only a guess and also another thing Nvidia never fixed (or did they recently?)

Teremap

Banned
May as well put these here. Apologize in advance for the blurring, as, for whatever reason, SweetFX refuses to work without SMAA, and SMAA interacts very strangely with SGSSAA. Lumasharpen does absolutely nothing to help. Still think it looks better with than without, so there you go. Also running with HBAO+.

Gaussian bloom is one of the nicest, if not THE nicest, bloom shaders I've ever seen, far better than most of the overwrought bloom effects I've seen in video games. I am also a fan of CA. (Don't hurt me!) I just like the subtle touch of color it adds to the image, though it would be really nice if there were some way I could not apply it to the UI.

Looking forward to seeing the game get its DX11 update. With some better material shaders, better AO, and some decent built-in AA (TXAA would be really nice), the game could really sing.

ffxiv.exe_DX9_20140917_200359.jpg

ffxiv.exe_DX9_20140910_232434.jpg

Yeah, those billboard tree branches aren't doing the game any favors.

Thorgal

Somebody is gonna bash my head in for this , but ... I like CA in some Games.
Yes there are plenty who overdo it but when done just right , i like it .

There are effects in games that iritate me far more then CA.

Native size. Having some weird screen flickering issues with it though. Kinda random so I am a bit concerned.

To elaborate a bit, it's pretty much the same as "standard" Nvidia downsampling. You just don't have to set the resolution up yourself (just tick boxes) and you can go higher. The max I could get out of my display was 1800p. Now I can run 3480x2160. And select it in every game. Pretty awesome. Oh, and you can also decide for a sharper or smoother image. Need to check that out. Hoping for higher resolutions in the future though. I think GeDoSaTo is definitely not obsolete.

Fixed my flickering problem, it was Afterburner. :/

Oh boy Resident Evil Revelations 2 is fun!

screenshot_2014_09_19_01_43_10_0_by_aloo81-d7zpgc9.jpg

Barry's daughter looks really peculiar in this new game, zombie guy seems to agree!

screenshot_2014_09_19_02_38_04_9_1_by_aloo81-d7zpgkg.jpg

Stuff like this is why every game should come to PC.

Rendering at 5120x2880, injected SMAA, a mod to disable the filter, a mod to replace the character models, a mod to disable the UI, and a mod to apply shaders that let you fine tune the visuals.

A lot of those come from the same application (GeDo!) but the fact that all that stuff is layered on top and provides such a different experience from what was available on consoles is great.

Umm... what game is this?

BONKERS

Really need to add some other AA on top of this. Still a ton of aliasing. I imagine it looks even worse in motion.

May as well put these here. Apologize in advance for the blurring, as, for whatever reason, SweetFX refuses to work without SMAA, and SMAA interacts very strangely with SGSSAA. Lumasharpen does absolutely nothing to help. Still think it looks better with than without, so there you go. Also running with HBAO+.

Gaussian bloom is one of the nicest, if not THE nicest, bloom shaders I've ever seen, far better than most of the overwrought bloom effects I've seen in video games. I am also a fan of CA. (Don't hurt me!) I just like the subtle touch of color it adds to the image, though it would be really nice if there were some way I could not apply it to the UI.

Looking forward to seeing the game get its DX11 update. With some better material shaders, better AO, and some decent built-in AA (TXAA would be really nice), the game could really sing.

ffxiv.exe_DX9_20140917_200359.jpg

ffxiv.exe_DX9_20140910_232434.jpg

Yeah, those billboard tree branches aren't doing the game any favors.

In my original testing SweetFX worked fine.

But regardless, the blur you have here seems FAR more severe than when using even 8xSGSSAA, the bloom and CA and everything else added in seems to conflict as well.

Try using 4xSGSSAA with 0x004012C5 instead.

As well, I DOUBT They will actually add in decent AA or anything to the DX11 client, the most that changed sounds just like some texture stuff and water.

The only way decent AA will make it's way into FFXIV is if someone armed with the proper information and way to present it could meet face to face with Yoshida. Which is something else I doubt will happen even though I REALLY want it to.

I could write a huge post about it on the official forum but I doubt anything would come from it.

7Sins

Neo Member
ibgd6WMNn64hqt.png

i8JPnXEutxoJm.png

I looked at the forum on DET. Didn't seem to find anything.

There is a link here for the lua script. You can easily find the 1st person mod using google. For "revhancer" I had to make an account on a russian website, but I could pm you a link with the archived content if you wanna use that.

To elaborate a bit, it's pretty much the same as "standard" Nvidia downsampling. You just don't have to set the resolution up yourself (just tick boxes) and you can go higher. The max I could get out of my display was 1800p. Now I can run 3480x2160. And select it in every game. Pretty awesome. Oh, and you can also decide for a sharper or smoother image. Need to check that out. Hoping for higher resolutions in the future though. I think GeDoSaTo is definitely not obsolete.

Fixed my flickering problem, it was Afterburner. :/

So with DSR, can you make it look sharper than traditional downsampling?

Parsnip

I'm surprised that no one has done higher resolution textures for Enslaved. I always figured that its art style would inspire some enterprising modder to give it some polish.

I could be crazy, but is the aspect ratio correct on these? People look a bit stocky, especially on that bottom one.

7Sins

Neo Member
I'm surprised that no one has done higher resolution textures for Enslaved. I always figured that its art style would inspire some enterprising modder to give it some polish.

I could be crazy, but is the aspect ratio correct on these? People look a bit stocky, especially on that bottom one.

It is. Both of them were resampled from 5760x2160 using FS.

Really need to add some other AA on top of this. Still a ton of aliasing. I imagine it looks even worse in motion.

For some weird reason it looks better in motion... Maybe i have to go back to FRAPS for the captures, something weird is going on with Afterburner. This is 2160p + SMAA.

So with DSR, can you make it look sharper than traditional downsampling?

Yup. I will give this a try now.

Teremap

Banned
In my original testing SweetFX worked fine.

But regardless, the blur you have here seems FAR more severe than when using even 8xSGSSAA, the bloom and CA and everything else added in seems to conflict as well.

Try using 4xSGSSAA with 0x004012C5 instead.

As well, I DOUBT They will actually add in decent AA or anything to the DX11 client, the most that changed sounds just like some texture stuff and water.

The only way decent AA will make it's way into FFXIV is if someone armed with the proper information and way to present it could meet face to face with Yoshida. Which is something else I doubt will happen even though I REALLY want it to.

I could write a huge post about it on the official forum but I doubt anything would come from it.
Well, 8xSGSSAA is less blurry simply because it takes more samples, heh.

I did try 0x004012C5. However, while it is clearer, the samples are so close together that it's like I'm using OGSSAA. See here.
It also produces a strange stippling effect that's subtle but visible in motion.

If there's an AA bit that produces a nice middle ground, I'd love to try one. As it is, given the choice between perfect anti-aliasing with some blur, and perfect clarity with leftover aliasing and artifacts, I'll choose the former every time.

As for the DX11 client, there is some hope as they are getting help with it from nVidia (I can't find the source but I know I read it somewhere, I swear), so there may be some chances of them adding TXAA and HBAO+ support. Maybe. Possibly. I can dream, dammit!

Top Bottom