• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of the Last Hope for Image Quality

15186284030_2d4dcf2bfa_k.jpg

15186405348_6d872af81c_k.jpg

Your textures look a bit low-res don't they?

The textures are the graphical highlight of this game. Far better to play on high without GeDoDaTo.

I play with good old fashioned driver downsampling.

UnrealEck

Is 8K or 6K even really needed over 4K for 1920x1080 sized screenshots? Can you give me something to see if I can answer that myself?

Thorgal

Is 8K or 6K even really needed over 4K for 1920x1080 sized screenshots? Can you give me something to see if I can answer that myself?
For most games , 4k would be enough.

but Sometimes in a few games , even at 4k there still remains some aliasing ,so to remove that you have to go to even higher resolutions to utterly crush them .

BONKERS

The textures are the graphical highlight of this game. Far better to play on high without GeDoDaTo.

I play with good old fashioned driver downsampling.

Game also works with SGSSAA with 0x080000C1, you could use 4xSGSSAA+driver downsampling or DSR for good results

You need more than just the resolution. You need to combine other AA methods alongside it for it to be truly beneficial. Otherwise you still have aliasing left and often poor edge quality.

midhras

For most games 4K on a 1080p screen is nowhere near enough. You're really going to need either a much larger resolution to downsample from (which is basically the same as supersampling anti-aliasing) or you'll need to use downsampling and other forms of AA (EdgeAA, SMAA, FXAA, SGSSAA, OGSSAA, TRAA, MSAA) to get those edges crisp

Jedi2016

The AA in the game is pretty good as-is. I'm running just 1080p with 8xCSAA, and there's pretty much zero aliasing anywhere. I started off running 8xMSAA, but I was having a hard time staying at 60fps with that, so I cut it back a smidge. Can't notice the difference, really. If there's any aliasing going on, it's nothing high enough to be noticeable, much less distracting.

Jedi2016

Can't wait for the vanishing of the vanishing of ethan carter screenshots. :p
Roll on Mordor!
Oh, it always comes in bursts like this.. hehe. Eventually a new graphical king will take its place. The only time it gets better is when someone creates a dedicated thread for a particular game's screenshots, but as pretty as this game is, it's not really going to be long-lived enough. Most players have already seen all there is to see.

*cough*
iDNcddn5QrgNN.png

iln2vFs9ArY0y.png

Can't wait for the vanishing of the vanishing of ethan carter screenshots. :p
Roll on Mordor!

This thread is pretty much the same rehashed games over and over again until something new is released. Then everyone jumps on that. But hopefully the screenshots inspired a few people to go pick the game up because it's really fantastic.

That said, I won't upload anymore Ethan Carter shots. I don't want to show the entire game. Some stuff is better experienced for the first time in-game. Tis why I haven't taken screenshots of a few... interesting moments :)

Mordor should be interesting. Although with the game taking up 6GB for the ultra textures at 1080p, I don't think there will be any room for downsampling :p

(I mostly expect that is bullshit)

UnrealEck

Mordor should be interesting. Although with the game taking up 6GB for the ultra textures at 1080p, I don't think there will be any room for downsampling :p

(I mostly expect that is bullshit)

That's what I look forward to seeing. I'm interested in seeing how those textures look compared to the high textures and how much memory it really is going to take.
I think it's more 'it needs a 6GB card' rather than 'it's going to use 6GB of VRAM'.

Auctopus

Is TVOEC meant to be set in a specific country?

I know the setting is called 'Redwood Falls'(?) or something, which would suggest NorCal/Oregon/Washington to me but that's a Nordic church in the screenshot and a Norman(?)/Tudor cottage.

Porcupine

I know the setting is called 'Redwood Falls'(?) or something, which would suggest NorCal/Oregon/Washington to me but that's a Nordic church in the screenshot and a Norman(?)/Tudor cottage.

Little spoiler:
Most of the graves at the graveyard were written in german. Maybe the game is set in Germany, Switzerland or Austria

Blizzard

Banned
Here are the last four Vanishing of Ethan Carter screenshots I plan to post. I tried to keep them a little unique and non-location-spoilery, though as discussed, it can be difficult to find something not already posted.

astronautsgame-win64-r6x0b.png

astronautsgame-win64-sobbi.png

GavinUK86

Little spoiler:
Most of the graves at the graveyard were written in german. Maybe the game is set in Germany, Switzerland or Austria

The game actually takes place in Wisconsin:

ERqHkD3.jpg

BONKERS

I dunno. There's no AA in my shots and the edges look pretty good :p

Depends on content and the game,generally the shots I see from you are higher than 2x2, so the effect is diminished. Ethan Carter has a softer style as everyone has seen. So helps probably

Top Bottom