• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of the Last Hope for Image Quality

orava

15208526699_56bfe4e7aa_o.png

15395270425_812b0bec65_o.png

Thorgal

After seeing Stallions SH3 shots i thought i would fire up it's older brother .

The geain effect is not removable so bear with it .

Also has black bars during cutscenes .

pcsx2-r58752014-09-30roz5u.jpg

pcsx2-r58752014-09-30xqa15.jpg

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Here is the full set of SH3 shots I took. 117 total. I might post a couple more of my favs down the road.

After seeing Stallions SH3 shots i thought i would fire up it's older brother .

The geain effect is not removable so bear with it .

Also has black bars during cutscenes .

You can remove it, it's in the game options somewhere. I think they refer to it as "Noise Effect."

Those SH3 shots. So intense.
How the hell are you getting SH3 to render @8K ? Driver downsampling ? SRWE ? I know GeDoSaTo doesn't work with it so it has to be that.
The game has it built right in. The slider they have only goes up to 4096x4096, but you can put an value you want in the .ini file. It helped a lot because even 4096x4096 internal had some aliasing on certain edges and I wasn't able to getting any form of AA going.

Ok this might be better in the stupid gaming question thread or whatever but here goes...

Two of the most anticipated (visually) games, in Mordor and Ethan Carter are confusing me.

I've seen full res videos of Vanishing of EC and it looks to be one of (if not the most) impressive graphics ever.

Mordor looks very good in motion too.

But the pics here of both games just don't look crisp. I know Vanishing of EC has a softer look but even at crazy high resolutions you guys are posting, the screens are looking like they've been blown up in size. Even the worst games look super crisp when using high resolutions/downsampling.

Now I'm seeing the same with Shadow of Mordor. I don't mean textures either. You can have crap textures or whatever and still have a super crisp looking screenshot, but like Ethan Carter, Shadow of Mordor is looking low res.

Are my eyes failing me in old age or is there something different going on with the rendering that isn't being captured with screens of these games?

midhras

Wait, not crisp? I can't speak for Mordor, but even if not captured at high res and downsampled, I thought TVoEC looked quite crisp indeed. The distance fog and general lighting did give a soft touch to the general atmosphere. The textures weren't oversharpened, but it was anything if not crisp, I felt.

Blizzard

Banned
Ok this might be better in the stupid gaming question thread or whatever but here goes...

Two of the most anticipated (visually) games, in Mordor and Ethan Carter are confusing me.

I've seen full res videos of Vanishing of EC and it looks to be one of (if not the most) impressive graphics ever.

Mordor looks very good in motion too.

But the pics here of both games just don't look crisp. I know Vanishing of EC has a softer look but even at crazy high resolutions you guys are posting, the screens are looking like they've been blown up in size. Even the worst games look super crisp when using high resolutions/downsampling.

Now I'm seeing the same with Shadow of Mordor. I don't mean textures either. You can have crap textures or whatever and still have a super crisp looking screenshot, but like Ethan Carter, Shadow of Mordor is looking low res.

Are my eyes failing me in old age or is there something different going on with the rendering that isn't being captured with screens of these games?
I probably feel that way too some times -- make sure you click pictures to enlarge them to 100% size, just in case they're being resized by your browser.

Also, I wonder if some people were using downsampling of some sort, causing Ethan Carter to look lower res. Do my pictures look blurry too?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=132049865&postcount=10674
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=132050051&postcount=10675

That was 1680x1050 without any modification or downsampling, so though I feel like it looked better ingame, there may well be some sort of filtering going on which is why I noticed very little aliasing or shimmering ingame.

Downsampling causing Ethan Carter to look lower res? What am I reading....

And if anything, I think Shadow of Morder looks TOO crisp.

15220951399_6b11e85b29_o.jpg

15404943641_974ef2edf0_o.jpg

That was captured at 8K. Some FXAA might do it some good.

I probably feel that way too some times -- make sure you click pictures to enlarge them to 100% size, just in case they're being resized by your browser.

Hmm, it may be the browser resizing after all... they look fine on my tablet but not in Chrome. Gonna see what's going on.

And, yeah Mordor looks a lot better than I initially thought (those 8K one's above look brilliant). I still stand by Ethan Carter though, just don't like the soft look at all.

Blizzard

Banned
For one thing I imagine it would depend on the image resize quality, though presumably most anyone here will be using a high-quality resize method. For another thing, this happened when someone tried downsampling Ethan Carter with GeDoSaTo:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=131913302&postcount=10636

It apparently only worked with 32-bit mode, so they ended up with lowres textures. :p

In general though you are probably right.

It is possible for down sampled screenshots to mess up the texture streamer in UE3 so the textures are ridiculously low res on terrain for example.

But that would require the game to be ridiculously bandwidth starved.

And if anything, I think Shadow of Morder looks TOO crisp.

15220951399_6b11e85b29_o.jpg

15404943641_974ef2edf0_o.jpg

That was captured at 8K. Some FXAA might do it some good.

I was testing FXAA with downsampling yesterday and I actually prefer the look. And this is coming from someone who generally despises FXAA.

Durante

I was testing FXAA with downsampling yesterday and I actually prefer the look. And this is coming from someone who generally despises FXAA.
FXAA is a great pre-filter for sharp (e.g. Lanczos) downsampling. As long as you have ~4 or more rendered pixel per final pixel you don't lose any detail in the final image, and it really helps with long aliased edges.

One3rd

It is possible for down sampled screenshots to mess up the texture streamer in UE3 so the textures are ridiculously low res on terrain for example.

But that would require the game to be ridiculously bandwidth starved.
^ This. I recently had lots of problems with textures and the Transformers games when rendering 4k or above.

u4ea

Most people don't agree with me. But this was actually my favorite Hitman game from the whole series.
It only gets better further into the game.

wrNCNKD.jpg

rJW3hba.jpg

TheTrain

For Shadow of Mordor, F12 takes hudless screenshots and saves them to "C:\Users\*\Documents\WB Games\Shadow of Mordor"

The wizard JonasBeckman discovered that.

I'm planning to attempt a CE table for free camera \ timestop \ fov later on tonight.

I beat that on PS3 and I LOVED it. I thought the art style was beautiful.

Dunno why but F12 doesn't work with me, all my .tga have the HUD. ._.

Top Bottom