• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of the Last Hope for Image Quality

tesqui

15333606428_82016dfedd_o.jpg

15517094231_9e9a0f7e8a_o.jpg

UnrealEck

any tips and tricks for how to take screens? Commands? Free cam?

If you have a decent PC, run the game at 3840x2160 (4k) and set FRAPS to take a screenshot every second. Set it to PNG.
When you're done playing for a while, load up faststone image viewer and you can pick screenshots you like. You can also crop them. I set crop to 16:9 ratio and focus on part of the screenshot I find more interesting and try to keep it at least 1920x1080 pixels. Then when I've gotten that cropped I save it as a JPEG and don't compress it too much but try to keep it under 2MB.
If your cropped screenshot is over 1920x1080, just resize it using Lancoz or something.

I'm not into playing games like Final Fantasy, but these FF13 screenshots are on par with the most beautiful posts I've ever seen in this thread. Incredible art style, art design, and art direction... I'll be archiving many of them, so thank you all so much for sharing! :)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
those Skyrim shots look amazing but that looks NOTHING like Skyrim, I would have thought it was some new unknown game

one day ill get into mods...one day, but not today :(

So impressed with how FFXII looks. I was expecting it to look like garbage given its console heritage and general age.

AC4, 3K downsample, jims CE table

ac4bfsp2014-10-1219-30hu86.png

Cdammen

Now play it at 4K with 8xSGSSAA and forced Ambient occlusion. Get that framerate bat to the single digits!
Holy hell! I did not even consider forcing that through the Nvidia control panel. I'll try that once I get home! I don't want to use ENB or any other mods, just super-sharp original graphics with some minor tweaks :)

Firestrike Ultra was just released today. A 4K updated version of Firestrike. You don't need a 4K monitor to run it, you do however need a GPU with 3GB VRAM or more.

iburRB4g0ystWl.png

i8LsAdN2M4jCt.png

Teremap

Banned
1600x900 because gameplay settings (absolute highest resolution I can maintain a solid 60 FPS on with 4x SGSSAA and HBAO+).

ffxiv.exe_DX9_20141012_010548.jpg

ffxiv.exe_DX9_20141005_045000.jpg

Cats. Cats everywhere.

Cdammen

Wow FF13 has really great texture work. The colours are nice as well!

Here are two more Half-Life 2 shots. I'll move onto something else now.

hl22014-10-1321-22-252sk2x.jpg

hl22014-10-1321-28-23agk6f.jpg

I do like games with simpler geometry than the current ones. There's is something calming about polygons hehehe...

R8TEDM3

I did try. Crytek locked this game down hard and I have no idea why.

Thanks for trying Jim :) I was hoping that you would be able to figure it out! But, by reading your comments it seems all hope is lost.

It's a shame that in this day of age we can't get a simple option in the menu to remove HUD...is that really a lot to ask for? Thank God that we have you, Durante, CE and few other people around here :)

Few cropped shots...

15530254652_ed055dc8c5_o.png

15343902827_dd93a47dab_o.png

Alex

It surprises me how good FFXIII looks with just a resolution increase.

XIII is a Japanese game with a lot of very fine, hand made details. Those tend to scale up better than anything as it lets the art shine through.

What amuses me is how much better it looks than XIV 2.0 when beefed up. XIV 2.0 is utterly smothered in blob-like normal mapping. Skin doesn't even look like skin in that game.

Top Bottom