• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of the Last Hope for Image Quality

robgrab

NONE of the promotional screenshots I've seen for Evil Within look as good as the few screens that've just been posted (especially textures). They must've been posting console screens. Makes me hopeful that it'll look decent on a PC. I'm also glad I have a 21:9 monitor since they seem to have framed it specifically for that aspect ratio.

NONE of the promotional screenshots I've seen for Evil Within look as good as the few screens that've just been posted (especially textures). They must've been posting console screens. Makes me hopeful that it'll look decent on a PC. I'm also glad I have a 21:9 monitor since they seem to have framed it specifically for that aspect ratio.
There are issues with 21:9 monitors and this game. When you play at that aspect ratio the game adds black bars to either side of the screen, including the ones at top and bottom.

There are issues with 21:9 monitors and this game. When you play at that aspect ratio the game adds black bars to either side of the screen, including the ones at top and bottom.

How are there issues with letterboxing when you can just... disable them?

I dunno about that. This one is pretty good.

14910265794_08a9515d6b_o.jpg

Teremap

Banned
XIII is a Japanese game with a lot of very fine, hand made details. Those tend to scale up better than anything as it lets the art shine through.

What amuses me is how much better it looks than XIV 2.0 when beefed up. XIV 2.0 is utterly smothered in blob-like normal mapping. Skin doesn't even look like skin in that game.
To be fair to XIV, they have loads more art assets to worry about than FFXIII. Between the various races, their sub-races, and both sexes they have a fuckload of stuff to model and render compared to FFXIII, so some cut corners are to be expected.

That being said, I am hoping for an improved skin shader with the DX11 patch. And maybe an optional high-res texture pack... maybe... yeah, nah, wishful thinking on my part.

Niiice, that's the best I've seen FF14 ARR look.
Thanks! Have a couple more:

ffxiv.exe_DX9_20141014_015629.jpg

ffxiv.exe_DX9_20141014_015136.jpg

Lime

Is there any likelihood of a FFXIV high res texture pack, Teremap? And what changes will the DX11 patch bring? I'm thinking about jumping into it at some point.

Xyber

The shadows in this game does not look very good at all when you get near them. And it also sucks that it just zooms in the entire picture when you get rid of the black bars.

15507798566_26c472422a_o.png

15345346678_d3cf3b681a_o.png

robgrab

I dunno about that. This one is pretty good.

I wasn't disparaging any of the screens posted in here. These all look great. The crappy ones I was referring to were Bethesda promotional shots (although if the one you posted was from Bethesda I hadn't seen it before).

I really hope this game turns out to be fun because RE4 is in my top five favorite games of all time. I'm gonna wait a few months until everyone in here has figured out how to completely de-consolize this game. I'm always amazed at the graphical tweaks gamers are able to pull off post release.

Xyber

*Re-posting for new page*

The shadows in this game does not look very good at all when you get near them. And it also sucks that it just zooms in the entire picture when you get rid of the black bars.

15507798566_26c472422a_o.png

15345346678_d3cf3b681a_o.png

robgrab

Based on the sheer number of FFXIII screens posted on this thread lately I wouldn't be surprised to see Square Enix release an HD Remastered version for the new consoles. Of course they'd be running at 900p and locked at 30fps (to feel more "cinematic"). Sorry. Too soon?

Teremap

Banned
Is there any likelihood of a FFXIV high res texture pack, Teremap? And what changes will the DX11 patch bring? I'm thinking about jumping into it at some point.
At this point signs say that there will be no high res texture pack, despite rumbles before ARR's launch that such a thing would come to pass.

As for what's in the DX11 patch... nobody knows, not even the developers. They're apparently now investigating 'new expressions' that will be possible with DX11, which sounds promising, but who knows what they're actually going to decide is worth their time?

You can't disable them. The game just crops the picture and zooms it in.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=134247014&postcount=539

It's really a terrible port.

it' rendering an anamorphic 2.35:1 framebuffer into a 16x9 resolution. there's no way to get rid of the letterboxing without cropping the image because the game isn't simply placing black bars over what would otherwise be a full 16x9 presentation, it's only rendering the wider image. in other words there's nothing hidden under the letterboxing. it's no different than playing a modern 16x9 game on an old 4:3 CRT monitor. you either get the full widescreen image in letterbox or it gets cropped.

R8TEDM3

What kind of SLi profile are you using for that?

First i tried this one 0x000040F5, but i had some bad glitches on my system, and then i found out that this SLI bit is way better 0x080010F5 (Sleeping Dogs)

GPU usage on cards is far from perfect, about (75-85 %) but it's much better than the Crysis profile!

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Enslaved 4k/60FPS

8AA4519400DB0E9C6B8F75DCB2EED31EE0E811F8

543557B0AB00B500B4309839BFD0F3DEEBBB40E1

Hey bud, you can't post Steam hosted screenshots here. When hosting, Steam adds an additional layer of JPEG compression on top.

Either upload the original PNG's to Sta.sh or Flickr, or instead use Photoshop or FastStone (faststone is free!) to convert them to high quality JPEGs.

12 quality for Photoshop, 98 quality for Faststone. Instructions are at the bottom of this post.

Durante

I'm not into playing games like Final Fantasy, but these FF13 screenshots are on par with the most beautiful posts I've ever seen in this thread. Incredible art style, art design, and art direction... I'll be archiving many of them, so thank you all so much for sharing! :)
The art direction was always the strongest part of FF13. Every single area has tons of unique assets, and everything fits very well together. Of course, we all know the sacrifices that had to be made to achieve that.

That's why it's almost criminal in my opinion that they released a version of the game on PC that wouldn't allow anyone to fully enjoy its visual splendor out of the box.

Top Bottom