• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of the Last Hope for Image Quality

-SD-

Banned
CA is like bloom in 2004 or motion blur in 2008. It just needs time to get know how to use it.
I hate CA with a passion but it makes sense if used realistically in game assets that create CA effects in real-life. Full-screen Chromatic Aberration (CA for CA's sake), as in Lords Of The Fallen, is retarded, does no good for anything or anyone, and needs to stop, now.

riflen

Stuff about CoD:AW terrible textures

MaLDo speculates that there's a bug. The game has an option for shadow cache. If you enable that, then the game will often render terrible low-res textures in some areas. It seems to load the lowest mip for the texture because the shadow cache is taking up too much of your VRAM. Example.

Reese-015

Drop the SweetFX files in the same folder as the executables, as per usual.

You need a version with Bulbosaur's injector. This should work:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9739867/Boulotaur_Injector_CeeJay_1.5.1_Shaders_CA.rar

Make sure you're using the 64bit DLLs if you're running the 64bit executable.

Cool! Even with Boulotaur's injector I didn't get this to work in the past but now it works. This is awesome. Playing around with SMAA and film grain to hide BF4's aliasing issues. Working pretty well. Perhaps instead of CA I'll do a super-subtle 'explosion' filter. I dig it.

BLunted

Banned
15703447212_7fe71d8663_o.png

15345016498_3e6dff6660_o.png

rivalchild

Neo Member
The use of Chromatic Aberration should be made illegal in games because prolonged exposure can damage eyesight. CA is like watching 3D stereoscopic stuff without the glasses.
Can't imagine CA damages your eyesight. Couldn't see anything on google to back it up either but I could be missing something. Any links at all?

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I added AA via GeDoSaTo, but it doesn't look very well. I can probably get it looking much better.

half-life2_1rysz7.png

half-life2_2olso6.png

I tried forcing the game to run in resolutions above 1920x1080, but it didn't want to cooperate.

PhilGPT

Can't imagine CA damages your eyesight. Couldn't see anything on google to back it up either but I could be missing something. Any links at all?
Don't really need Google to confirm that CA is messing up my eyes (5 seconds looking at a pic with CA makes my eyes burn, get all watery and gives me a headache). Maybe I'm just sensitive to it.
All I know from some quick searching is that just about everyone wants to get rid of it :p All games that use it should have an option to turn it off.

14368572066_4547f14a67_o.jpg

14098444220_76713604c1_o.jpg

Rösti;137176237 said:
I added AA via GeDoSaTo, but it doesn't look very well. I can probably get it looking much better.

half-life2_1rysz7.png

half-life2_2olso6.png

I tried forcing the game to run in resolutions above 1920x1080, but it didn't want to cooperate.

Can't beat that timeless HL-artstyle. Exactly as I remember it!

Yarbskoo

15702085271_231f499ef3_o.png

15519172470_b6f2c7a5ed_o.png

How are you doing this camera wizardry?

It's a combination of the Camera Performance Remodeling gecko code, and Dolphin's Free Look utility. If only someone had made a LOD hack. Then I wouldn't have to worry about trees turning into ugly 2D textures so quickly.

BONKERS

Nobody should have to know how to use it. Bloom makes sense and is often needed to liven up otherwise flat lighting. CA makes no sense at all. I've never seen a game with CA that would look worse without it.

EXACTLY.

Bloom is a REAL world effect that not only exists within the human eye but with camera lenses, high and low quality. In some instances like TV shows like NCIS they show a LOT of bloom.

But Chromatic Aberration?

lolno.

The ONLY way CA should ever show up, is if the character is looking through a camera,lens or visor that has a power surge issue or something where the display freaks out for a minute.

Or in EXTREMELY subtle fringes on out of focus elements with DoF

He was making a joke I am assuming, but the effect truly is like watching in old school 3D. It causes even more eye strain for me than staring at a screen for hours looking at aliasing or at obscene bloom like in Syndicate (which I can deal with)

Lime

Final Fantasy XIII @ 2160p

screenshot_2014-10-31iwuln.png

screenshot_2014-10-31igrcm.png

Yo @Lime.

Amazing FFXIII screenshots over the last few pages.Great quality and nice camera angles.

Do you think
lightning
is a bad character ? with no
redeeming qualities
?

Thanks a lot :)

No, she isn't the worst. It's just a hilarious line of dialogue and that screenshot reminded me of that particular line. :lol

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Games does seem to look pretty nice in general, will probably end up grabbing it sometime soon when I have a bit more time.

I don't really get chromatic aberation though, it's not even an effect used in film to any regular degree. It just makes things look terrible :/

It's not an effect. It's a flaw. You don't see it in movies because it's something you only get noticeable amounts of on really cheap lenses. Like Walmart-level stuff.

Spazznid

Everyone's so darn busy on patch week.

ffxiv.exe_DX9_20141101_040203.jpg

ffxiv.exe_DX9_20141101_045827.jpg

Do you do anything to your shots? I don't remember FFXIV having CA, or at least never noticed it. Not that it looks bad, but it's not overly done either, except with some of the grassy areas. Either way, your shots look grand, keep them coming.

It's not an effect. It's a flaw. You don't see it in movies because it's something you only get noticeable amounts of on really cheap lenses. Like Walmart-level stuff.
I know, hence the confusion. I just don't understand why you would put something like it in a game. It just looks awful and doesn't replicate any kind of cinematic ambition. In something like Oulast it might make a bit of sense but elsewhere.....

-SD-

Banned
He was making a joke I am assuming, but the effect truly is like watching in old school 3D. It causes even more eye strain for me than staring at a screen for hours looking at aliasing or at obscene bloom like in Syndicate (which I can deal with)
I wasn't joking, just using the wrong term. Eye strain, as you put it, was the term I was looking for. Staring at CA for long periods of time can't be good for the eyes.

BONKERS

Do you do anything to your shots? I don't remember FFXIV having CA, or at least never noticed it. Not that it looks bad, but it's not overly done either, except with some of the grassy areas. Either way, your shots look grand, keep them coming.

He's posted about this several times. If he would link to his post.

Basically, SGSSAA+HBAO(+) + SweetFX

Lime

lol yup

So are you having a good time with the game ?The screenshots seem to indicate so :)

I played it back in 2010 on PS3 as well. I dig the art style and visuals and music a lot. The major drawbacks are of course the incredibly linear level design and the terribly atrocious writing, characters, and plot. So I'm just doing this is a sort of visual tourism thing accompanied by a good soundtrack.

That doesn't actually answer my question.

Surely the people who visit this thread are subbed? Maybe it's some old gaf urban legend I'm not aware of.

it is a vague answer to your question.

Community forum -> Less Exposure
Less exposure -> Less new posters itt
Less new posters itt -> Less activity itt

Xyber

Surely the people who visit this thread are subbed? Maybe it's some old gaf urban legend I'm not aware of.

I would guess that the majority of people who visits this thread are not subbed to it. It was almost always on the first page and therefore made it easy for anyone to pop in and check out the screens.

Durante

I've been on GAF for 8 years and I've never subbed a thread. Scanning the first 5 pages has always been good enough. Maybe now I need to start.

Top Bottom