• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of the Last Hope for Image Quality

TheRed

I'm not actually playing on a 4K monitor so the aliasing never really bothers me when downsampled, especially while playing. I usually leave it on but the campaign wasn't keeping a solid 60 at 4K so that's something I was okay with turning off. Different standards :p

Yarbskoo

15721053262_0ced83a054_o.png

15534671260_29391349ed_o.png

Parsnip

Something weird is happening with some of the flickr images, they are not caching over here at all. Jim's LotF image caches fine, but those Advanced Warfare images from Stallion aren't. Looking at the urls, there's an extra _d at the end of the filename, removing that makes the images cache just fine. It's like the _d url doesn't have correct mime type or something, since pasting it to url bar will just try to download it instead of displaying it like it would normally. Weird.

Gideon Emery is almost too handsome.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Something weird is happening with some of the flickr images, they are not caching over here at all. Jim's LotF image caches fine, but those Advanced Warfare images from Stallion aren't. Looking at the urls, there's an extra _d at the end of the filename, removing that makes the images cache just fine. It's like the _d url doesn't have correct mime type or something, since pasting it to url bar will just try to download it instead of displaying it like it would normally. Weird.

Ooo nice catch there. I'll have to remember to always get rid of the "_d" when grabbing URLs from now on. I always wondered why they acted a bit weird.

BONKERS

You're getting so ridiculous with AA that it's looking like algebra.

Well, this came about because of specific issues with this game. (Quite a few issues actually) I figured someone would ask sooner or later. So I just put it there.
SGSSAA does the job just fine. Better than downsampling, but there were quite a few large issues such as the lighting buffer getting messed up and flickering a bunch, and a giant line going through the screen (Look at the middle of the screen for the big white line) and some others like the image being fairly blurry, but the AA fix fixes that. But makes the lighting issues much much worse. So the above combination was made to minimize the issues, which it did. But I also found a proper solution as well after taking these screens.

As well, the game still renders in a 15:9 viewport, so using a 15:9 resolution saves a little performance and allows HBAO+ to work. Which it doesn't if you are using any other AR

(People usually do ask. Heck, I ask a lot of times so yeah)

I have a free month of FFXIV lying on my computer, but I'm afraid to boot it up because I won't have the time to optimally play it for a month. I love the art style so much though and the concept art is marvellous to look at. I can't wait to finally play it some day.

It's a time suck for sure. I cancelled my sub for a month to play another game and now I can't bring myself to start playing again haha

iJdvxNX7QxTiC.png

iboZnRaPw9dCq3.png

BONKERS

iMuMS6tkadBdc.png

i41GC35wYOXqu.png

(^Dafuq is going on with Gabriel's body in that one.)

Also: The Motion blur for what started out as a 3DS game is quite sublime!!

Difference in motion is really smooth. But as you can see, in still shots the motion blur is pretty damn strong!
The really strong bloom and DoF don't help either.

Here's some shots with MB with no AA
http://i.minus.com/ib0tgDkE8ZOIip.png
http://i.minus.com/iRs8A0Ht3irDq.png
http://i.minus.com/iLriQf92BrHs7.png
http://i.minus.com/ibo9IkmecPjIz3.png

You can find out more about Castlevania Lords of Shadow Mirror of Fate HD here

TheRed

15697403046_d680f57338_o.png

15722699722_548b53ff22_o.png

I used AA this time...

The Detroit areas remind me of The Last of Us, Metro, and Crysis 3 all together. Wish there was more of it. I would play a whole game set there.

BONKERS

Would anyone mind posting some comparisons of the various AA methods in CoD:AW?
(Using 1920x1080 as a base. That way image host sites won't reject your .PNGs and compress them into JPGs)

I know I won't be able to rely on the likes of Eurogamer because they compress the shit out of their images, and then compress them even more somehow with their own comparison tool.
Makes them useless

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Well, this came about because of specific issues with this game. (Quite a few issues actually) I figured someone would ask sooner or later. So I just put it there.
SGSSAA does the job just fine. Better than downsampling, but there were quite a few large issues such as the lighting buffer getting messed up and flickering a bunch, and a giant line going through the screen (Look at the middle of the screen for the big white line) and some others like the image being fairly blurry, but the AA fix fixes that. But makes the lighting issues much much worse. So the above combination was made to minimize the issues, which it did. But I also found a proper solution as well after taking these screens.

As well, the game still renders in a 15:9 viewport, so using a 15:9 resolution saves a little performance and allows HBAO+ to work. Which it doesn't if you are using any other AR

(People usually do ask. Heck, I ask a lot of times so yeah)

It's a time suck for sure. I cancelled my sub for a month to play another game and now I can't bring myself to start playing again haha

iJdvxNX7QxTiC.png

iboZnRaPw9dCq3.png

Damn, that sounds pretty elaborate. I'm guessing the 15:9 viewport is because of it originally being a 3DS game? I hope it's enjoyable enough to be worth all that testing effort

HeelPower

I played it back in 2010 on PS3 as well. I dig the art style and visuals and music a lot. The major drawbacks are of course the incredibly linear level design and the terribly atrocious writing, characters, and plot. So I'm just doing this is a sort of visual tourism thing accompanied by a good soundtrack.

you don't find anything remotely interesting about the lore or setting etc ? I still think the characters are better than a good deal of JRPGs.But hey Lime's pretty hard to please anyway :p

BONKERS

Damn, that sounds pretty elaborate. I'm guessing the 15:9 viewport is because of it originally being a 3DS game? I hope it's enjoyable enough to be worth all that testing effort

Yeah, once you get everything fixed. It's all fine and dandy.

More so for everyone else interested in the game since i'm the one trying to get the right information out there. That way it's as simple as putting in the right settings as directed for those whom are interested.
What's with the odd grainy filter? I don't recall that when playing on Steam...

Did you miss the part in the Title where is says "GeDoSaTo" ? :p

Just using the Film Grain Durante and folk put in there.

I think it looks fantastic in stills and in motion. Far better than most of the film grain you see in retail games. (Though when I took those shots, was on a bit strong. Adjusted it afterwards to be a bit lighter)

BONKERS

And? I use that for Dark Souls II but that doesn't mean a grain filter is a given. I can't imagine why you'd add those to Castlevania shots, but I guess YMMV.

Anyone staying updated with GeDoSaTo knows it has a grain shader in the post processing.

Different folks different strokes.

I think the grain makes it looks quite sublime and adds to the atmosphere that Castlevania has.

Might be a better idea to post the originals, rather than Flickr's sharpened and compressed thumbnails. Especially since this is the high res screenshot thread :p I find comfort that this is one of the few screenshot threads that encourages you to post full sized images.... within reason.

Now, more LotF

15701019986_7528ecbd43_o.jpg

15539888320_c303e78ff7_o.jpg

Antonymity

Neo Member
Might be a better idea to post the originals, rather than Flickr's sharpened and compressed thumbnails. Especially since this is the high res screenshot thread :p I find comfort that this is one of the few screenshot threads that encourages you to post full sized images.... within reason.

Now, more LotF

15701019986_7528ecbd43_o.jpg

15539888320_c303e78ff7_o.jpg

Well I wasn't sure if GAF resized them or not. It's been a while since I posted one here. Anyway, you can click on the images in the post to be taken to the full resolution version. Also I usually use Picpar but lately it isn't giving me links after uploading. Maybe the file sizes are too large? Even after saving these as JPGs they're a little over 5mb.

Noice.

GAF will make the images fit even if they are too large for the site's layout. A single click will force the image to display in it's full size. Another click and it's resized to fit again. Lovely implementation. Works for images in quotes too, which is why people will post tall, portrait-oriented images like such:

^^ Lords of the Fallen: "Generic Hero man"

Antonymity

Neo Member
What do you all think of this Nvidia DSR technology? Do you feel it is on-par with other techniques, or perhaps not as good? I find it nice because it's super easy to use, and as a downsampling n00b that suits me just fine :p

Top Bottom