• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of the Last Hope for Image Quality

Teremap

Banned
ffxiv.exe_DX9_20141101_045017.jpg

ffxiv.exe_DX9_20141031_043316.jpg

It looks pretty good in motion as well, although it's a bit inconsistent. The main issue I've had is the lighting looks very flat at times so there is a large graphical discrepancy from area to area. Cutscenes seem to use depth of field and motion blur more extensively so they tend to look much better than the gameplay despite being in real time. Textures in general are pretty high res(even objects like signs, bottles, boxes, etc) but I just ran into a brick wall that wouldn't have been out of place in 2005. Game really needs tessellation!

Actually, yeah fuck that I'll keep on talking shit about this HOLY HELL.

3dywsfs.jpg

Yes. I get it. The devs do too (they've heard us).

I still like the way the game looks. I hate the CA, but I'll deal with it until they add in the option to remove it.

Just started a new game so I took a few shots in this room again.

15692243371_d81d8530fa_o.jpg

Games does seem to look pretty nice in general, will probably end up grabbing it sometime soon when I have a bit more time.

I don't really get chromatic aberation though, it's not even an effect used in film to any regular degree. It just makes things look terrible :/

TheRed

I'm really enjoying this game as my return to playing CoD. The graphics are great to me although some parts don't look as great as others.
The sound and feel of the weapons is fantastic and I'm having a ton of fun. Glad I decided to pick it up, I've already got more enjoyment from this than I did BF4 and I spent more money to get that game.

15510376497_ed3aafe285_o.png

15693622241_81d3a7b66d_o.png

Durante

I don't see it, especially not in-game and in motion. The character animations are far too good. If you want porcelain dolls you need to look no further than Star Ocean 4. I'd post screenshots but it would be OT :p

BONKERS

209650_2014-11-02_000fhsb5.png

209650_2014-11-02_000dju9p.png

2560x1440 with 2X Supersampling. Not sure what resolution that works out to.

as far as resolution goes, that'd be in the neighborhood of a few different areas depending on their definition of "2x"

It could be, 1.96x, 2.25x, or 2x exactly via only increasing one axis over the other or using silly multiples like 1.414375x1.414375=2.000456641 (Like Nvidia does with DSR)

But honestly, for whatever reason, texture detail on the ground seems to just turn to absolute mud very quickly. Is that lack of AF or just stupid Mipping?

The texturing in general looks extremely muddy and low resolution. CoD isn't Open world the last time I checked, so it should be better IMO.

Shadows too.

At least they aren't abusing shit like CA though. And at least they are doing Cutscenes REAL TIME.

Okay, this image is confusing me. What the hell is going on with the bottom of the van there? And the forklift? It looks like some kind of weird aliasing or something. Does it have something to do with the shadows?

Looks like some kind of subsampling and then upsampling poorly or something , I noticed it on this shot around the arms of the character in front of you as well

COD look as flat and lifeless as every other year :/

I guess they spend so much money marketing it they can't afford hi res textures, decent shadows or you know, actual lighting in 2014.

-SD-

Banned
Actually, yeah fuck that I'll keep on talking shit about this HOLY HELL.

3dywsfs.jpg
The use of Chromatic Aberration should be made illegal in games because prolonged exposure can damage eyesight. CA is like watching 3D stereoscopic stuff without the glasses.

BONKERS

The use of Chromatic Aberration should be made illegal in games because prolonged exposure can damage eyesight. CA is like watching 3D stereoscopic stuff without the glasses.

Even the slightest amount gives off this effect. Or that of playing a game over composite.

Nobody should have to know how to use it. Bloom makes sense and is often needed to liven up otherwise flat lighting. CA makes no sense at all. I've never seen a game with CA that would look worse without it.

Reese-015

Nobody should have to know how to use it. Bloom makes sense and is often needed to liven up otherwise flat lighting. CA makes no sense at all. I've never seen a game with CA that would look worse without it.

I disagree. Personally, I find shimmering and aliasing and several other types of imperfections break immersion more for me than having a subtle screwy-lens look that CA sort of creates. So if I don't have the horsepower to supersample etc, I often actually won't mind some CA.

For example, take Battlefield 4. Often, heavy FXAA is good enough for me but BF4 is still pretty aliased with it and my laptop isn't powerful enough to add MSAA. Would love to try adding some CA with SweetFX. Does SweetFX now work with BF4 btw? Saw shots using it a few pages back I think.

edit:
<screenshots>
How did you manage to use SweetFX on BF4? And do SMAA and/or CA work?

Top Bottom