• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of the Last Hope for Image Quality

I think it's cool that it exists, but you don't get very much control at all. The 2x cap is pretty limiting. I still use custom resolutions though because I like to play games and take screenshots at various aspect ratios. And for DX9, I prefer GeDoSaTo because you can go well beyond 2x your native resolution AND you get all those other nifty features.

Antonymity

Neo Member
I think it's cool that it exists, but you don't get very much control at all. The 2x cap is pretty limiting. I still use custom resolutions though because I like to play games and take screenshots at various aspect ratios. And for DX9, I prefer GeDoSaTo because you can go well beyond 2x your native resolution AND you get all those other nifty features.

2x cap? I'm using 4x.

Eh, that's what I meant. 2x2 = 4x. Whatever. 1920x1080 max is 3840x2160. 2560x1440 max is 5120x2880.

GeDoSaTo max is.... there is no max.

What do you all think of this Nvidia DSR technology? Do you feel it is on-par with other techniques, or perhaps not as good? I find it nice because it's super easy to use, and as a downsampling n00b that suits me just fine :p

I really like it too, my question is, should it work well with all games or did somebody experience any problems?
Alien Isolation looks astonishing in 4K, I should try 8K with GeDoSaTo and compare the results.

Nnhb.png

Onhb.png

I really like it too, my question is, should it work well with all games or did somebody experience any problems?
Alien Isolation looks astonishing in 4K, I should try 8K with GeDoSaTo and compare the results.

GeDoSaTo is DX9 only, so it does not work with Alien Isolation. It's a planned feature but Durante is a busy man.

Lime

What do you all think of this Nvidia DSR technology? Do you feel it is on-par with other techniques, or perhaps not as good? I find it nice because it's super easy to use, and as a downsampling n00b that suits me just fine :p

It makes me regret my 290 purchase despite getting it for $250.

BONKERS

There are a lot of issues. They use obscure ratios that are basically pointless. (1.20x resolution is pointless, dafuq I need that for?. Such a small increase in resolution without using other AA isn't going to give much benefit) They Don't give you much control aside from Smoothness. Limited to to a max ratio of 2x2. Limited based only on your display's native resolution (Whether it's reported correctly).

It really doesn't explain to people WHY the ratios/factors are what they are. Like what "4xResolution" actually means. They end up confusing the shit out of people who think that 4xResolution DSR is actually 2x (Because it's 2x2 your native), but it actually IS 4x resolution because it works on a ratio of 2x2 and 2x2=4 as many pixels.

DSR with no AA on top is still going to look bad and like before, DSR is really only suitable as a last resort when no proper AA works or exists or when combined with existing AA methods like MSAA,SGSSAA,FXAA,SMAA,etc.

DSR is actually better for combining with other AA methods than regular driver downsampling because of the far superior resampling.

And in some case IMO it works better than high ratio downsampling with GeDoSaTo because of that. (Depends on the game and what you find important in IQ/AA)

I think it's ultimately a fix that was a long time coming for regular driver downsampling. But it's no replacement for proper AA support like SGSSAA.

TheRed

Even though BF4 might be more technically impressive I prefer the way this game looks so much, I don't feel like I have a bunch of shit in my face constantly.
Kevin Spacey looks good but my favorite real time model is Cormack he looks damn amazing, and his eyes aren't weird like Spacey's.

15730394145_57bdcce566_o.png

15545547500_d9ec1d2eb8_o.png

Even though BF4 might be more technically impressive I prefer the way this game looks so much, I don't feel like I have a bunch of shit in my face constantly.
Kevin Spacey looks good but my favorite real time model is Cormack he looks damn amazing, and his eyes aren't weird like Spacey's.

cod is technically more impressive than bf4. physically based rendering makes the materials MUCH better looking across the board. real time reflections, light sources actually cast shadows, better post processing, better AO, subsurface scattering etc

TheRed

cod is technically more impressive than bf4. physically based rendering makes the materials MUCH better looking across the board. real time reflections, light sources actually cast shadows, better post processing, better AO, subsurface scattering etc

Yeah true, I guess I was thinking about multiplayer which still looks like old CoD to me and not as good as BF4. Single player is definitely on another level.

i was being genuine. and yes i was referring to SP. MP is not impressive, tho the PBR still makes a huge difference in how materials appear.

KKRT00

It lacks real time reflection. SSR is only for speculars
It has similar post-processing
AO is the same on PC - HBAO.
All Light sources cast shadows in BF 4.
PBR is not really resources intensive, more memory intensive
It has PoM on some surfaces that BF4 lacks. But geometry, particles and water is so much better in BF 4 that its not even competition.

Multiplayer looks much worse in COD.

Spazznid

It has PoM on some surfaces that BF4 lacks. But geometry, particles and water is so much better in BF 4 that its not even competition.

KKRT00 tellin' it like it is.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

Frostbite's HBAO solution looks terrible and is certainly not HBAO+.

still far ahead of bf4
the post-processing quality during gameplay matches that of bf4s cutscenes. during bf4 gameplay its quite bad
no not even close
nope
it requires huge changes to the rendering pipeline and produces results that cant be replicated without it
as i said before ill give you the particles, but only in terms of the amt on screen. that said bf4s particle system is so unoptimized its actually kind of funny
yes

in bf4 every single material in the game looks exactly the same. its like the entire world is made out of 1 material with different textures and colors.

KKRT00

in bf4 every single material in the game looks exactly the same. its like the entire world is made out of 1 material with different textures and colors.

1. BF4 also has specular reflections
2. COD doesnt even have motion blur in MP, dof is 1/4 res
3. But they do, ok maybe not all, but most of them, like in COD
4. Yeah, but its not really technical advantage in terms of resource management. But yeah, it makes game look a lot better.
5. BF 4 particles systems run on past-gen consoles with ability to cast shadows! How is this unoptimized?
6. I dont play COD's singleplayer [or BF for that matter] since COD 4 :p

1. BF4 also has specular reflections
2. COD doesnt even have motion blur in MP, dof is 1/4 res
3. But they do, ok maybe not all, but most of them, like in COD
4. Yeah, but its not really technical advantage in terms of resource management. But yeah, it makes game look a lot better.
5. BF 4 particles systems run on past-gen consoles with ability to cast shadows! How is this unoptimized?
6. I dont play COD's singleplayer [or BF for that matter] since COD 4 :p

1.bf4 does not have realtime reflections of any elements. cod does. cod also reflects more than just speculars on various materials. no dynamic objects are reflected, but static geometry is.
2. im referring to SP
3. very few of them. <5%
4. its a huge technical advancement.
5. you have 2 choices in bf4. particles that cause massive artifacting or particles that drain performance by up to 1000%

bonus - cod achieves FAR better IQ with a post process aa than bf4 with hardware msaa. even adding transparency ssaa doesnt change matters. thats such an epic fail on dices end from both a tech and art standpoint.

Top Bottom