• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of the Last Hope for Image Quality

Spazznid

I like how you used the power lines to divide this shot into almost two separate, but linked, images.

Thanks. I was sitting on that one for a while because I'd already taken on that was similar, but not divided like that. Finally decided that this one was better than the old one enough to warrant uploading.

15410596474_4e714746ec_o_d.png

So I have turned off images for a couple of months now. I don't get spoiled unintentionally and my average internet connection doesn't crawl on it's knees when loading a thread like this.

I always have to click on links to see the images, I'm fine with that actually but some of you guys are using links that open up a download window when clicking on them? You doing this on purpose? For example Spazznid, your Flickr links always do this? (I can't see the pics that way and have to skip them)

DD

Are you injecting chromatic aberration so hard that it's affecting your steam overlay?
LOL, it's the way SweetFX works. ;(

The IQ in Euro Truck Simulator 2 is very lame. I'm forcing AA 8x through Catalyst + FXAA + SMAA, and it still looks like shit. :/

I always have to click on links to see the images, I'm fine with that actually but some of you guys are using links that open up a download window when clicking on them? You doing this on purpose? For example Spazznid, your Flickr links always do this? (I can't see the pics that way and have to skip them)

He's using the wrong image URLs. He's posting the "download" versions which will try to do that instead of opening in their own tab. The "_d" needs to be removed from the end of the file name.

I don't even know how you get the download version. Just open the original size image with the various flickr extensions out there and grab the URL from that page.

Oh... and this is a new page (for 50 per page people). I suppose I'll post a thing from Dragon Age.

16029742655_cba7c5f464_o.jpg

Parsnip

He's using the wrong image URLs. He's posting the "download" versions which will try to do that instead of opening in their own tab. The "_d" needs to be removed from the end of the file name.

The download version also makes it so that browsers are not caching those images.
Coincidentally it seems that abload images aren't always caching these days either, I wonder what's up with that. I hope that's not just me.

DD

The download version also makes it so that browsers are not caching those images.
Coincidentally it seems that abload images aren't always caching these days either, I wonder what's up with that. I hope that's not just me.
Abload has been shit since forever.

MDSLKTR

There is a configurator that looks like this:

That's great and comprehensive, thanks. How are the cinematic weapons in action? And are all those settings adjustable during a playtrough? Let's say I don't like a skin, can I save my progress, change it and continue my progress without the game glitching?

Spazznid

That's great and comprehensive, thanks. How are the cinematic weapons in action? And are all those settings adjustable during a playtrough? Let's say I don't like a skin, can I save my progress, change it and continue my progress without the game glitching?

The cinematic weapons are weird. They're based on real world weapons, but I personally don't like them with the HL2 gameplay. They feature an Ironsite, though you can also use ADS with the classic weapons using a hotkey IIRC. All of the configurator settings are changeable at any time, as in you can save and exit, then change something like visor reflections, and then load up the game. This is only not possible when stated otherwise on the configurator itself. I believe you can change Alyx at any time the same way, but IIRC, the civilians can't be changed when resuming from a save. Whenever you switch the Civilians, you must start the chapter over to bypass any glitches or instabilities. It will mention it in the description in case you wish to be safe. But I believe most main characters can be changed whenever.

Each and every one of the Cinematic Mod shots has looked terrible. Never seen a good one, through these years. FailFactory to the max.

Oh come on, you can't make sweeping statements like that. I get that people dislike the often overly sexualised and/or unnecessarily changed and soulless characters, and I agree that none of that has a place in Half-Life 2, but the mod is highly modular, and there are a lot of aspects that are objectively better, such as lighting, shadowmap resolution, texture quality, amount of particles, etc. Can you really say that the upper picture is better than the lower one? http://cinematicmod.com/images/cm_11/comparisons/cm_11_28.jpg

Anyway, using this as a chance to post more Unity shots.

15420096614_ac3db0496b_o.jpg

16016587666_5d10831425_o.jpg

Oh wow... What ENB is that?

I'm using tweaked settings for this ENB but you can find the default one on skyrimnexus.
It's a preset called "Horizon ENB". It's based on Natural Lighting and Atmospherics for ENB (you need to have the .esp from NLA) Looks insane and far better than NLA imo.
Remember to set your "fGamma=" in skyrimprefs to 1.4000 otherwise it will look bad and too bright.

Spazznid

Each and every one of the Cinematic Mod shots has looked terrible. Never seen a good one, through these years. FailFactory to the max.

Then you, sir, are blind.

Oh come on, you can't make sweeping statements like that. I get that people dislike the often overly sexualised and/or unnecessarily changed and soulless characters, and I agree that none of that has a place in Half-Life 2, but the mod is highly modular, and there are a lot of aspects that are objectively better, such as lighting, shadowmap resolution, texture quality, amount of particles, etc. Can you really say that the upper picture is better than the lower one? http://cinematicmod.com/images/cm_11/comparisons/cm_11_28.jpg

People can't be objective. They can try, but some have a hard time looking at something in a different way and appreciating it.

Black Desert looks amazing.

It sure as hell does, and gameplay to match. At lvl 12 I was having a really hard time with some level 15 quests. Quests don't give xp, but the mobs you kill, and other activities do give xp, so I was just doing quests and was underleveled. I looked around for other sidequests, but evventually decided to face the lvl 15 mobs, even though they could kill me in 2-3 hits easy. I had already died to them before, but this time I leveraged the game's mechanics, and the mobs never even hit me. Ever since then, combat has been fun as hell.

Lower is of course better, technically, but not artistically, and that's what my comment was about. FakeFactory sucks hard in the visual design department.

I could say that there are portions of the lower half that look better artistically due to the artistic limitations from the engine. For example. A wall that has a suitable texture in both versions and both having the same general lighting, the FAKEFACTORY one would look better if not only because the higher resolutions and better shadows allow the art to flourish. But whatever, you're not going to change your opinion any more than I am.

Top Bottom