• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Jan |OT| Raymond Felton attempts to eat a Knicks Fan

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
So I heard hollinger or some other stats man had the lakers with an 11% chance at pick número uno.

We just lost to the cavs and will lose 7 out of the next 9 easy. I started the season wanting the 8th spot, but have hopped on the tanking wagon.

Dr. Buss is rolling in his grave.

Honestly, as a fan of a franchise that tried over and over and over to build a "winning culture" by throwing a team without enough talent into the grinder and calling .400 seasons progress, I think what they're doing is the sign of a legit winning franchise. Spurs did it, Heat did it, Celts did it and are doing it again. I'd way rather see my team go for it and throw every game for an entire season than play .378 ball and pretend there's hope.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
This tank is going full speed ahead.

I actually think Pressey is pretty good, but they're spread so thin for the next few weeks. I know Rondos back, but the chemistry/timing won't be there 100% and hopefully he's on a minute restriction. I like that Danny is being aggressive, but we need a big piece to fall like Jeff or Rondo.

Blackace

Honestly, as a fan of a franchise that tried over and over and over to build a "winning culture" by throwing a team without enough talent into the grinder and calling .400 seasons progress, I think what they're doing is the sign of a legit winning franchise. Spurs did it, Heat did it, Celts did it and are doing it again. I'd way rather see my team go for it and throw every game for an entire season than play .378 ball and pretend there's hope.

As a team that drafted Bargs number 1...

So I heard hollinger or some other stats man had the lakers with an 11% chance at pick número uno.

We just lost to the cavs and will lose 7 out of the next 9 easy. I started the season wanting the 8th spot, but have hopped on the tanking wagon.

Hollinger's playoff odds have Lakers as tied for 3rd worst team with Philly (and Philly beat em!)

At that record, they'd have a 15.6% chance at the 1st pick. Right now it's like 3% but that's obviously changing soon. I think they could jump 2 teams tonight!

Blackace

awesome and true

cleaning house works

i mean shit.... or you can either be like detroit or milwaukee

because that's cool too

Has it worked for the Cats?

And not saying getting a top 3 pick doesn't help a franchise just can't say cheering for your team to tank makes sense.

As a team that drafted Bargs number 1...

Yep, and the Heat tanked, got the #2 pick and only came away with Supercool. No guarantees in the draft.

But honestly, the Raps' biggest mistake wasn't drafting Bargs (check out how many of the top 10 picks in that draft aren't even in the league anymore) - it was refusing to see him for what he was, and not going right back to the well when Bosh left.

giri

And not saying getting a top 3 pick doesn't help a franchise just can't say cheering for your team to tank makes sense.

Because at least it is A plan. With a purpose. With an actual targetable goal. It's not easy to get right. You have to draft the right guy, make the right trades before the pick so you can reload and surround any high lotto picks you get, and it will take 3 or 4 seasons to pay off.

But it's a more targetted plan that does work. And is better than treading water as the 10th seed in the conference and hoping for miracle trades for a superstar.

Omega

Banned
the thing with tanking is you have to get lucky.

1. You have to draft an elite player. There are not many of them in basketball
2. You have to draft good players to complement them
3. You have to be able to keep that core intact
4. You need to have good management, which maybe 3 teams in the NBA have

I made my account in 2009. Lurked for most of it. I've seen the same posters rooting for the tank since I joined, and yet their teams are still ass.

Most fans need to accept they're most likely never going to see their team get a ring. There's too many factors. Most teams are never even going to get to complete step 1. in the rare case you have a team like the Thunder that have completed the first two, kind of did the third until they fucked up on step 4.

Blackace

Because at least it is A plan. With a purpose. With an actual targetable goal. It's not easy to get right. You have to draft the right guy, make the right trades before the pick so you can reload and surround any high lotto picks you get, and it will take 3 or 4 seasons to pay off.

But it's a more targetted plan that does work. And is better than treading water as the 10th seed in the conference and hoping for miracle trades for a superstar.

It's not really a plan... let's suck and get a good pick...

Indeed. But he wasn't exactly happy with this recent CBA. I think he would understand our current predicament. Plus he rolled over in his grave enough when we whored ourselves out by putting signs up over LA.

Hollinger's playoff odds have Lakers as tied for 3rd worst team with Philly (and Philly beat em!)

At that record, they'd have a 15.6% chance at the 1st pick. Right now it's like 3% but that's obviously changing soon. I think they could jump 2 teams tonight!

Yeah he gave us a 0% chance at the playoffs. Sounds like we get a decent pick at least. I do feel dirty though.

diehard

Fleer
It's not really a plan... let's suck and get a good pick...

It is a plan.

The Jazz chose to not re-sign vets that would lead to another mediocre season and accomplished two things:

1) getting a higher pick in a much hyped, deep draft. 2) finally getting talented young players a chance to play the minutes they need to develop.

We are the Jazz.. not the Lakers. "We" have to draft our talent, no superstar FA will be signing here anytime soon.

to shorten it , its "tanking". Not losing games on purpose, but sacrificing short term for long term.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

Okay. We could've stayed with our "core" of Felton, Jackson, and Wallace and Hall of Fame coaching OR we could've cleaned house completely.

Toronto should've done it with Bargs three years ago (fortunately they got lucky with the Knicks making THE panic trade of the decade pt.2) instead of unsuccessfully trying to build around him and waiting for his breakout year.

I mean, hell. You tell me what the Bobcats should've done after letting Bob Johnson and Larry Brown run the arena and surrounding areas into the dirt for 4 years. You don't just say "Man, this doesn't look too good. Lets trade for a superstar! :D" that ain't how shit works.

Blackace

It is a plan.

The Jazz chose to not re-sign vets that would lead to another mediocre season and accomplished two things:

1) getting a higher pick in a much hyped, deep draft. 2) finally getting talented young players a chance to play the minutes they need to develop.

We are the Jazz.. not the Lakers. "We" have to draft our talent, no superstar FA will be signing here anytime soon.

to shorten it , its "tanking". Not losing games on purpose, but sacrificing short term for long term.

I like the Jazz look
They are developing young players too

But aren't just putting out a purposely shitty product

DY_nasty

For a lot of teams, the only other plan is "let's suck and get passed over in free agency."

"Come play with THE Evan Turner"

"Don't you want to be the guy who put the Milwaukee Bucks on his back and carried them to greatness?"

"You can be the next TRACY MCGRADY"

I like the Jazz look
They are developing young players too

But aren't just putting out a purposely shitty product

They have the worst record in The West because paying Milsap and Al didn't make sense long term, they could have been in the fight for the 8th seed, but why?

You could argue that they are purposely shitty this season compared to last for the sake of the franchise's future.

DY_nasty

Henderson has had a great month so far but I still can't stand watching him do anything other than catch and shoot.

Mik317

There are levels to "tanking"

There is what the Magic and Jazz are doing, which is giving a lot of playing time to their prospects with no pressure to actually win.

and then there is what the Lakers are currently doing and having Nick Young be a leader of your team.

and then there is what I think most people think tanking really is ; Faking injuries to your best players (a whole lot of back spasms), and purposely losing on some not trying shit.

I don't think a lot of teams are doing the last one...motherfuckers just suck. The Bobcat teams of recent...just sucked. Tanking as people think doesn't happen too often. Even the garbage the Lakers is putting out there isnt exactly on purpose, dudes are hurt mainly...but lets say they keep Kobe and Nash out for the rest of the season and send Pau home to weep in a corner...then that is true tanking.

basically no one is tanking to the max....

yet the end of the year should be awesome in terms of people "getting hurt" all of a sudden,

DY_nasty

Tolliver should get an invite to the 3pt shootout

mkg with 3 assists in 6 minutes wut

Kobe24

833728700.gif

Top Bottom