• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Jan |OT| Raymond Felton attempts to eat a Knicks Fan

Name one player on the Portland roster that is shooting above what their career suggests that they shouldn't.

Go on. I'll wait.

charles-barkley-11.jpg

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
If anything, the one area where Portland is underachieving is their in-the-paint percentage. Damian is like 26% from 3-10ft and 42% on layups or some shit and he's a better player than that.

reilo

The crazy thing about Portland's shooting is that they just added McCollum to the line-up and he was drafted for his potentially elite shooting, too.

Ropez, Matthews, and Lillard all have made giant jumps in efficiency this year that have to be at least somewhat doubted:

http://bkref.com/tiny/L9dLw

None of those guys were that near this level in TS%, TOV%, or OREB% (for Ropez) last season.

It's probably just their new (great) scheme, but jumps that dramatic are still questionable in how legit they are.

edit: Looks like the #assets are having another great game.

reilo

Ropez, Matthews, and Lillard all have made giant jumps in efficiency this year that have to be at least somewhat doubted:

None of those guys were that near this level in TS%, TOV%, or OREB% (for Ropez) last season.

It's probably just their new (great) scheme, but jumps that dramatic are still questionable in how legit they are.

The discussion was about shooting, so not sure what TOV% and OREB% has to do with the topic at hand, and like you said, the latter can be attributed to the system.

Matthews entering his prime and being a 40-42 3PT% shooter isn't out-of-this-world nor surprising, and Lillard was drafted for his elite shooting ability. This isn't a case of Shumpert being a 40 3PT% shooter all of the sudden.

Mo, Batum, and Wright are shooting right in line what their career suggests from three.

oooh iwmtb droppin truth bombs

He's not even participating in the right discussion.

Steve Popper @StevePopper about 16 minutes ago
Knicks starters today versus @BrooklynNets : It's Small Ball with Felton, Prigioni, Shumpert, Anthony, Chandler.
Finally going back to the 2 PG look/Carmelo at PF that helped them have so much success last year. Just took injuries to the whole frontline to make Woodon actually make a smart decision.

Lopez is often uncontested down low because lma pulls his man outside. He gets a ton of put back dunks and fouls.

Lillard is just improving at handling the ball, and he doesn't feel as much on ball pressure throughout the game because mo initiates the offense when they play together.

Maybe matthews is a question mark, but he's stayed pretty consistent all season. Free throws and 3pt shooting improve ts% dramatically, don't they? Portland is at the top in each category.

I think a lot of people are underestimating how crucial lma and lopez are to the 3 point shot, and how well the offense is designed to take advantage of their presence.

The discussion was about shooting, so not sure what TOV% and OREB% has to do with the topic at hand, and like you said, the latter can be attributed to the system.

Matthews entering his prime and being a 40-42 3PT% shooter isn't out-of-this-world nor surprising, and Lillard was drafted for his elite shooting ability. This isn't a case of Shumpert being a 40 3PT% shooter all of the sudden.

Mo, Batum, and Wright are shooting right in line what their career suggests from three.

It's still a situation of "a bunch of guys suddenly improve their levels of offensive efficiency dramatically" that seems possibly unsustainable like the Knicks from last year. Matthews and Lillard shooting at this accuracy and volume would make them one of the best shooting backcourts ever which (5.9 made threes per game from them is very comparable to the 6.1 a game from Curry+Klay last year) and I think it's possible they decline to a more normal level. As three point shooting declines, spacing gets worse, leading to more turnovers which is why TOV% is tied to their good shooting somewhat.

I think it's sustainable but it might be a bit fluky or lucky.

reilo

It's still a situation of "a bunch of guys suddenly improve their levels of offensive efficiency dramatically" that seems possibly unsustainable like the Knicks from last year. Matthews and Lillard shooting at this accuracy and volume would make them one of the best shooting backcourts ever which (5.9 made threes per game from them is very comparable to the 6.1 a game from Curry+Klay last year) and I think it's possible they decline to a more normal level. As three point shooting declines, spacing gets worse, leading to more turnovers which is why TOV% is tied to their good shooting somewhat.

I think it's sustainable but it might be a bit fluky or lucky.

Here's Wesley in December and January:

FL1VS0S.png

Portland's record in those 24 games? 18-6 (.750).

And for comparison, Wesley in his first year with Portland (sophomore year):

nF5xtRh.png

The difference for Wesley this season? He's healthy, much like in '10.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Name one player on the Portland roster that is shooting above what their career suggests that they shouldn't.

Go on. I'll wait.
Seeing how Aldridge and Lopez RPG% went up this year, I'm guessing one of the biggest difference with Portland compared to last year is the avg. number of possessions, correct?

reilo

Seeing how Aldridge and Lopez RPG% went up this year, I'm guessing one of the biggest difference with Portland compared to last year is the avg. number of possessions, correct?

Oh, so you can't name anyone. Good to know.

exarkun

I was thinking that LaMarcus should win POTW with his 29.3PPG and 14.3RPG with wins against CLE, @SAS, and @DAL, but then I remembered Durant's crazy ass week: 39.3PPG on 56.5FG%, 40 3PT% and 6.5APG in a 3-1 week.

The West is too fucking good.

Trying too hard. Nobody besides people with herpes is buying that. Although I'll take 2 second round wins and pop bottles.

Wow, exactly how I feel about the Rockets. Its like we're brothers from distinctly different mothers.

The games on so far kind of suck. Brooklyn is gonna tap dat ass.

The Lin+Asik+2 picks thing that yahoo and rotoworld have thrown around as a potential trade for Rondo is so dumb. Rondo in our system isn't worth that much.

Brooklyn is packing the paint and daring Knicks to shoot from outside. It looks like the Celtics' strategy, four guys waiting for Carmelo to drive.

Top Bottom