• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Off-season |OT| Our cap is tellin me NO! But my fandom is tellin me YEAH!

I'm all for better Eastern teams. I don't think Klay will be ready for that type of workload in CHA.

Kemba ain't Steph. If Klay came in, they'd force 'the man' mantle on him. IMO.

Its better for the league if CHA is good, and better for 2K. I'm down tho.

Bowser

I'm all for better Eastern teams. I don't think Klay will be ready for that type of workload in CHA.

Kemba ain't Steph. If Klay came in, they'd force 'the man' mantle on him. IMO.

Its better for the league if CHA is good, and better for 2K. I'm down tho.

I'm not saying Klay's the be-all, end-all for CHA. I think we are a 45-50 win team in the East as currently constructed with an actual legit scoring option in the lineup beside Kemba and Big Al instead of Hendo, who's a decent slasher off the bench, but not a threat at the 2.

If we can land a legit 2 (one of those 4 I mentioned earlier) and hit on a draft pick (doesn't have to be ROY, but a solid guy that can provide offense off the bench), we should be a legit contender in the East.

BTW, all these guys getting $5m per (Kerr, Fisher, Blatt) to be first time NBA head coaches is insane. Clifford at $2m per is a fucking steal.

jbug617

Banned
Woj was just on Boston Radio saying he is getting the feeling Love isn't getting traded anytime soon. Woj said the Wolves want Barnes and Thompson and GSW doesn't want to give up everything for Love. He said Flip believes he can get the Wolves into the playoffs.

Furyous

I need a beer, some wings, some alpha brain, some good female accompaniment, and a pomeranian to soak my anguish into.

WHAT IN THEE SHIT IS DAN GILBERT THINKING?

Someone tell me why hiring a coach with no NBA experience is a good thing.

Kyrie is leaving now.

Is it too late to talk tanking?

There's no way Dion buys into this system.

I just don't know what's going on or ... *throws remote through HDTV*

Mark Jackson was sitting right there ready to coach for less than $20 mill. Watch us fire this guy after two seasons.

I need a beer, some wings, some alpha brain, some good female accompaniment, and a pomeranian to soak my anguish into.

WHAT IN THEE SHIT IS DAN GILBERT THINKING?

Kyrie is leaving now.

Is it too late to talk tanking?

There's no way Dion buys into this system.

I just don't know what's going on or ... *throws remote through HDTV*

Mark Jackson was sitting right there ready to coach for less than $20 mill. Watch us fire this guy after two seasons.

Oh man, if you were an owner you'd be making some terrible decisions, too, judging from that comment.

Furyous

Oh man, if you were an owner you'd be making some terrible decisions, too, judging from that comment.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....reach-deal-with-david-blatt-to-be-head-coach/

Mark Jackson was available for less than $20 million based on his last contract. He guided a team to a great run considering where they were prior to his arrival. He's a proven NBA coach that we know can coach at this level. Blatt is unproven at the NBA level. I'd much rather have a coach I know is capable at the NBA level than an unknown quantity.

jwhit28

I'm not saying Klay's the be-all, end-all for CHA. I think we are a 45-50 win team in the East as currently constructed with an actual legit scoring option in the lineup beside Kemba and Big Al instead of Hendo, who's a decent slasher off the bench, but not a threat at the 2.

If we can land a legit 2 (one of those 4 I mentioned earlier) and hit on a draft pick (doesn't have to be ROY, but a solid guy that can provide offense off the bench), we should be a legit contender in the East.

Even if it is kind of pie in the sky, I would feel a lot more comfortable with this than taking Doug McDermott. Doug seems just athletic and basketball savvy enough that he wouldn't completely kill the team too bad in an overall defensive effort, but Doug had historically bad defensive numbers for a college star of his caliber. Not a great fit for such a blue collar effort team.

Try to find a solid floor spreader in free agency (Jodie Meeks, Gordon Hayward etc.) and shoot for the stars at #9 with someone like Aaron Gordon, Zach LaVine or James Young (aka MKG with a jumpshot). I think scoring more points in transition (which Steve Clifford said himself wasn't an emphasis) would be as much if not more help than a 3rd option behind Kemba and Big Al in a half-court set. Then use #24 for a solid Kemba back-up (maybe his old backup Shabazz Napier).

fertygo

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....reach-deal-with-david-blatt-to-be-head-coach/

Mark Jackson was available for less than $20 million based on his last contract. He guided a team to a great run considering where they were prior to his arrival. He's a proven NBA coach that we know can coach at this level. Blatt is unproven at the NBA level. I'd much rather have a coach I know is capable at the NBA level than an unknown quantity.

You're cavs fan but angry your team not picking Mark frigging Jackson?
I guess at this point you just happy enough if ESPN game being more watchable without mute button.

Woj was just on Boston Radio saying he is getting the feeling Love isn't getting traded anytime soon. Woj said the Wolves want Barnes and Thompson and GSW doesn't want to give up everything for Love. He said Flip believes he can get the Wolves into the playoffs.

Yes do it Flip! Make that misguided playoff run!! Everything's coming up Lakers.

because short of Lionel Hollins, there's absolutely no one on the market with "NBA experience" who wasn't fired for a damn good reason?

the only reason you hire mark jackson is to get his voice off TV.

More Embiid fallout. Lakers could move Nash and #7 to Philly for MCW and T Young. 76ers would take Exum at #3.

According to Ryen Russillo of ESPN, the Lakers could be willing to send veteran guard Steve Nash and the No. 7 overall pick in the draft to Philadelphia.

In exchange, Michael Carter-Williams and Thaddeus Young could make the switch to Los Angeles.

If that scenario was to play out, the belief is that the 76ers would select Dante Exum with the No. 3 pick.

Damn it Lakers management how do you do it?

According to Ryen Russillo of ESPN, the Lakers could be willing to send veteran guard Steve Nash and the No. 7 overall pick in the draft to Philadelphia.

In exchange, Michael Carter-Williams and Thaddeus Young could make the switch to Los Angeles.

If that scenario was to play out, the belief is that the 76ers would select Dante Exum with the No. 3 pick.

Fuck that shit.

That's a really really good trade for the Lakers.

Fjordson

Eh, Jackson isn't that great. And people seem to be very high on Blatt.

I guess he could fail, anything's possible, but if my team was already rebuilding I'd rather see them roll the dice on the potential great coach than the surefire mediocre one.

Lakers fans believe in Mitch Kupchak. Huge trade win for them if this trade goes through. 76ers, I don't understand first Jrue Holiday and now MCW. Just giving away their all-star caliber PGs when they get them. Guess they hoping Exum can be the face of the franchise for years to come.

I still don't like this trade, maybe I'm just underrating MCW. Do you guys really think he's the real deal? The Lakers can't trade their pick so it would have to be a draft day thing with LA picking for Philly. Wonder what would happen if Embiid were still on the board.

I still don't like this trade, maybe I'm just underrating MCW. Do you guys really think he's the real deal? The Lakers can't trade their pick so it would have to be a draft day thing with LA picking for Philly. Wonder what would happen if Embiid were still on the board.

Lakers aren't a good drafting team (since 2000). You should be worried they drop the ball with whomever they pick. Only good pick was Andrew Bynum like 9 years ago, and the dude didn't even last 9 years in the NBA. I have no doubt in my mind even though this draft is deep, the Lakers will still pick a BUST at #7.

Lakers aren't a good drafting team (since 2000). You should be worried they drop the ball with whomever they pick. Only good pick was Andrew Bynum like 9 years ago, and the dude didn't even last 9 years in the NBA. I have no doubt in my mind even though this draft is deep, the Lakers will still pick a BUST at #7.

Lakers have been picking in nothing but the 20s-range their entire existence because of how successful they are. Their drafting history in that range isn't that bad, all of those guys are pretty hit or miss. Even the Spurs, who are a pretty elite drafting/scouting organization, are probably 50/50 on draft picks since that time. They've had exactly two lottery picks EVER, and took Eddie Jones and Bynum. Not exactly bad picks. Not sure how you can decide based on that that they would pick a bust.

Lakers have been picking in nothing but the 20s-range their entire existence because of how successful they are. Their drafting history in that range isn't that bad, all of those guys are pretty hit or miss. Even the Spurs, who are a pretty elite drafting/scouting organization, are probably 50/50 on draft picks since that time. They've had exactly two lottery picks EVER, and took Eddie Jones and Bynum. Not exactly bad picks. Not sure how you can decide based on that that they would pick a bust.

I understand the Lakers were in championship contention and having high picks deprived them of quality, but still can get some solid support players. I think drafting in the top 10 has always been uncharted territories for the Lakers franchise. I am referring to players drafted during the Mitch Kupchak's tenure. Thus my analysis on why the Lakers might not get "the" player in the draft. Dude, I am a Raps fan during the 2000-2009 look at the Raps drafting history it's nothing to brag about. Just sayin, I know when a team can't draft players for shit. But that all changes. We have MASAI UJIRI.

masai-ujiri-peterjthompsonpm1.jpg

Started as international scout then made his way up the ranks.

I understand the Lakers were in championship contention and having high picks deprived them of quality, but still can get some solid support players. I think drafting in the top 10 has always been uncharted territories for the Lakers franchise. I am referring to players drafted during the Mitch Kupchak's tenure. Thus my analysis on why the Lakers might not get "the" player in the draft. Dude, I am a Raps fan during the 2000-2009 look at the Raps drafting history it's nothing to brag about. Just sayin, I know when a team can't draft players for shit. But that all changes. We have MASAI UJIRI.

masai-ujiri-peterjthompsonpm1.jpg

Started as international scout then made his way up the ranks.

I get what you're saying I just don't think there is enough there to say either way because of the circumstance. There is no team that nails every pick int eh 20s. I doubt the percentage of guys taken in that range that amount to anything is very low. Too small of a sample size to decide definitively that a team is bad at drafting, or will blow a top 7 pick. I think most Laker fans have faith that Mitch and co. have a pretty good eye for scouting, not just in the draft but also taking into account players they have signed and sometimes picked up on via trade or FA. Scouting encompasses all of that.

Tom Penny

Why would we help GS get Love while trading our pick for a guy who will be looking to get paid really soon?

I like Thompson but I feel we need another elite triple-threat offensive guard at this stage of Kobe's career

You mean why the fuck would Minn want the 7th and David Lee over 6th 17th and players from the Celtics. Saunders has screws loose or needs rehab.

effzee

Wait just so I understand this correctly, in this scenario the Sixers would then have the #3, #7 (with LA picking for them), and the #10 pick?

If the Sixers are much higher on this draft class than they are on MCW, then yes on paper it sounds good for both sides but I just don't see it happening. Don't want Nash in any capacity.

Although it does make it that much easier for Lebron to take over the team with 4 top 10 picks playing along side him with hunger.

jbug617

Banned
Bulls going after Affalo according to Woj
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--bulls-pursuing-trade-for-magic-s-aaron-afflalo-142632914.html

Wait just so I understand this correctly, in this scenario the Sixers would then have the #3, #7 (with LA picking for them), and the #10 pick?

If the Sixers are much higher on this draft class than they are on MCW, then yes on paper it sounds good for both sides but I just don't see it happening. Don't want Nash in any capacity.

Although it does make it that much easier for Lebron to take over the team with 4 top 10 picks playing along side him with hunger.

the rumor is that you would use 2 of those picks to trade up with the Bucks so you can get Wiggins or Parker.

Just take Aaron Gordon or Lavine and keep the cap flexibility open. Why trade for a guy who A) plays the same position as the guy we have making $25 million a year and B) will be looking for a max deal of his own next season. Hopefully the fact that we can't even trade our pick will complicate things too much for deals like this. I gotta believe these rumors are all some sort of smoke screen.

effzee

Bulls going after Affalo according to Woj
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--bulls-pursuing-trade-for-magic-s-aaron-afflalo-142632914.html

the rumor is that you would use 2 of those picks to trade up with the Bucks so you can get Wiggins or Parker.

Not worth using 2 of those picks to move up when at #3 you can still end with one of the two and still have 2 more of the top 10 players.

Even if we stay as is and don't trade MCW we could end up with 4 players who are top 10 players in back to back drafts. Not a bad haul especially if 2 of them develop into all stars.

Plus Lebron.

About negative 1000%.

Don't be like this friend.

Bread

Banned
Getting the rookie of the year for Steve Nash's corpse is just amazing
Uh it's more like getting Thad young for Nash's expiring and MCW for the 7th pick. Good trade IMO for the Sixers, who get even younger (and most likely better assuming they take Exum) and lose another long term contract.

Furyous

So what are the chances of lebron and melo going to 76ers?

I have similar odds of catching Kris Jenner in a shitty club with a terrible sound system, bad lighting, and going raw with the sole purpose of receiving hush money for fostering a child.

Fjordson

Trade talks within Golden State for Love stalling. Apparently Jerry West and Steve Kerr aren't fans of dealing Klay.

Man, I don't know. I don't want to lose Klay either, but if we have any shot of luring a big name player like Love to GS then we need to pull the trigger. Assuming the Wolves were even going to take that deal of course.

Bowser

I think Klay's great, but realistically speaking, you're not giving the max to both Steph and Klay. So if you're going to have to choose between one, the answer is Steph and you move Klay to get another big-time player, and that guy is Love.

GSW needs to pull the trigger.

sans_pants

avec_pénis

Blatt is supposed to be very flexible with his system and supposed to be able to maximize talent. Cavs aren't sitting on gsw talent levels right now

What's so great about mark jackson?

I don't get the Mark Jackson love either. He didn't do anything overly exceptional in GState. He had a talented roster and won a great amount of games with them, but he strikes me a lot as a guy that gets by on personality and his motivational speeches (which tends to coincide a lot with guys that are "players coaches" versus "x's and o's" guys) but going by history that only gets you by for so long before players tune you out and you wear out your welcome.

I don't get the Mark Jackson love either. He didn't do anything overly exceptional in GState. He had a talented roster and won a great amount of games with them, but he strikes me a lot as a guy that gets by on personality and his motivational speeches (which tends to coincide a lot with guys that are "players coaches" versus "x's and o's" guys) but going by history that only gets you by for so long before players tune you out and you wear out your welcome.

Someone needs to hire him so we don't have to hear his commentary on TV. The Orlando Magic owner should hire Jackson. Doesn't he hates gays as well, supposedly?

Jackson's strength is that he got the W's to buy into the system- play defense and rebound well. However, that defensive system was constructed by assistant coach Mike Malone. Then on the offensive side, he managed to make a talented W's squad with a gifted shooter rank near the bottom in offensive efficiency. Dude was terrible with XO's and his substitution patterns were absolutely maddening (gang substitutions only work when the next 5 men down can actually play). For all the beautiful ball movement during most of the first 3 quarters, the 4th quarter would often degenerate into post ups for D Lee (who is a pick and roll player not a low post threat). Finally, for a guy who preached to his team about no egos and playing for each other, he sure had a habit of alienating his own assistants that could've potentially covered for his deficiencies.

In saying all this, I like Jackson for the most part and appreciate how he got the players to buy in and play hard. But the W's have a talented roster and for the most part, they underachieved last year.

Bowser

a) Why would the Magic do that? Afflalo is arguably their best player and cheap as fuck.

b) What are the Bulls giving up? Either Butler or Gibson would hurt a lot and just picks + filler isn't gonna do it.

It seems like the Magic are gearing up to go with an Oladipo/Exum backcourt, and Afflalo is redundant and would impede their development.

I know Charlotte is interested in Afflalo, but the word is Orlando is looking for a really good package for him. I would be willing to give up 9, 24, and a player (Henderson?) for Afflalo and 12 though.

jwhit28

It seems like the Magic are gearing up to go with an Oladipo/Exum backcourt, and Afflalo is redundant and would impede their development.

I know Charlotte is interested in Afflalo, but the word is Orlando is looking for a really good package for him. I would be willing to give up 9, 24, and a player (Henderson?) for Afflalo and 12 though.

You really think it would take that much? What would the Bulls offer be, Gibson and 16?

Top Bottom