• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA |OT| Let's just wait it out. Be NKY/LAL fans and lose our games together.

Bowser

Good Grantland piece on Hinkie / Philly: http://grantland.com/the-triangle/l...it-of-crappiness-a-closer-look-at-the-sixers/

The point isn’t that Hinkie got lucky, it’s that every great team has to get lucky. Sometimes it’s stumbling into a superstar at the perfect moment; other times it’s landing the top pick in the perfect draft. You can’t plan your way into getting struck by lightning — and that’s really what the Sixers are trying to do. It’s not particularly clever, and it’s not even a little bit complicated. Sam Hinkie is the GM who’s out there in the rain, holding a giant metal pole in the air. Every new lottery pick is another pole for him to wave at the sky.

When it’s over, he might look like a genius, or he might look like a sad man who spent three or four years standing in a storm with a bunch of poles in the air. You might say this whole process depends on the outcome.

Did Bish choke out steve Francis?

a_reeves_sp.jpg

You know it

Brian Shaw was just fired by Denver.

Update:

"With Brian Shaw out in Denver, I'm told Mike D'Antoni would definitely have interest in the job." -@Sam_Amick

Fjordson

Isn't the current plan to extend the length of the season and keep 82 games?
That would be a start. I just remember everyone agreeing with LeBron and Dirk that there was already too many games.

Would prefer them to straight up cut games, no reason for 82, but I doubt that'll happen.

That would be a start. I just remember everyone agreeing with LeBron and Dirk that there was already too many games.

Would prefer them to straight up cut games, no reason for 82, but I doubt that'll happen.

I think that would be hard to sell on the networks and advertisers.

How so? They all have chips and all have during the finals have put there respective teams on there back when push came to shove.

They had help like all great players do but they also took over the game in crucial moments. Melo and Harden have not and will not do that.

Like I said Harden and ESPN can enjoy his victory over Lebron and maybe get a undeserving MVP trophy (it's eithet Steph Curry or Lebron IMO) but he's not making it past the 2nd round with or without Dwight.

Nope. It takes a whole season of effort, and Lebron's first half was uncharacteristic.

Harden and Curry are 1 and 2 or 2 and 1. Either of them could win it. Either of them deserve it.

zychi

Banned
I think Harden is the frontrunner for MVP right now. He's carrying HOU without Dwight.

Curry is a very close second, but he has a great team around him, and in the NBA this actually hurts the MVP chances.

A lot of people are sleeping on Marc Gasol too. He should be number 3

rambis

Banned
Nope. It takes a whole season of effort, and Lebron's first half was uncharacteristic.

Harden and Curry are 1 and 2 or 2 and 1. Either of them could win it. Either of them deserve it.
I disagree.

And even if I were to argue with your logic, his full season stats are currently MVP level. Currently in and out of being the second/third best scorer in the league with Westbrook and shooting on a crazy 49%. And the best non pg assist numbers.

It comes down to Clevelands record in his case. I'm a GS fan but I'm not ready to dismiss Lebrons effort. He totally has a shot and deserves it. Curry is finally starting to get his due and respect, that's fine with me MVP or not.

RBK

Banned
Doesn't Pierce kind of disprove your point? He was an awful lot like these guys but as soon as he got KG and Ray he won it all.

He doesn't have a point. How can you write off someone who's only 25 and again has only one season with a contender-worthy team?

I think Harden is the frontrunner for MVP right now. He's carrying HOU without Dwight.

Curry is a very close second, but he has a great team around him, and in the NBA this actually hurts the MVP chances.

A lot of people are sleeping on Marc Gasol too. He should be number 3

I'll have to disagree with the bolded, I think most MVP awards were given out to players who had their teams as the 1 seed...Durant being the only exception I can think of off top.

Harden for me is the more deserving of the award, Curry is the most realistic as of now.

Fjordson

Curry is finally starting to get his due and respect, that's fine with me MVP or not.
As a Warriors fan, I totally agree with this. Just nice to see him even get consideration.

I really have no idea if he'll win it at this point since the MVP is an odd, vaguely defined thing. If the Warriors keep rolling and hold onto the #1 seed then people may use the weak "his team is too good around him" argument. But if the Warriors falter a bit and drop from the top spot in the West then voters may try to pin it on Curry as the team's leader and best player. Unless you're having just a monstrously good year with huge numbers like LeBron a few years ago, winning the award means straddling a super fine line as far as a team's success coming from the individual versus the team around him.

If LeBron gets any higher than 3rd place, the fix is in.

it's a testament to how low my regard is for awards voting that I thought this meant "if the Cavs finish above the 3 seed, they're fixing the vote for him" instead of "if LeBron finishes above 3rd place in the vote"

spyder_ur

He might want to realize he's not Kyle Korver and tone down on the 3's when he sucks at them.

I wouldn't say he sucks at them but he's definitely fallen in love with them when he should be driving more.

He actually definitely doesn't suck at them, especially catch-and-shoots. I wouldn't mind seeing him take it to the hoop a bit more, but it's obvious that this is an intentional direction that the coaching staff is pushing him towards for his development. I don't think it's his best skill but the rest will come I think.

At the time of writing this the rockets are up 14 on the hawks. Wow, didn't expect that start. Maybe this has the potential to be a game after all.

Top Bottom