• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Playoffs |OT| Men lie, Women lie, Bagels don't.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Not quite sold on Embiid so I'm not sure if i'd even want it. Give me at least a top 4 though.

Yeah, I don't get the hype on this guy. I watched him play quite a bit too.. just never saw something screaming "pick me" over Wiggins or Parker. Wiggins and Parker are freaks.. and the potentially MVP type guys. They had some uneven games, sure.. but that happens... they are young.

Remember the last big man who had an injuries at college? I do.. Portland drafted him.

No thanks. (well, Blake turned out okay though)

Parker or Wiggins should be #1/#2.

andthebeatgoeson

I don't give a fuck if Lebron leave from shithole that's cleveland to the better team, but taking big paycut with two other Superstar for building super team, LMAO.. Any team on out there would wish any of better player that they had leaving a little salary cap as possible if they can, but you don't seeing that thing often.. let alone three player that should got paid at full-max range making their way through with compensating with the system, forcing thing that shouldn't happen.
So your upset that the superstars did not ignore winning and do the douche bag option of talking all the money?

This is amazing how people contort themselves. I think the decision want the best approach but was happy a player was in full control of his destiny. There are many times when owners (golden state with mark jackson), GMs and coaches make business decisions that are terrible or suspect. Seeing a player have that much control is progress. Nearly every team wanted him and several made specific moves to attract him. I'm tired of shitty owners and GM's. I'm tired of their decisions. The players are why I show up and should have more power.

I'm a football fan; i'm all for the players having more control. I would watch more baseball if it wasn't so boring. These athletes put so much on the line that they deserve the position. It's also why I don't watch college ball. Too many social implications of players not having freedom and 'having' to serve these assholes.

I'm happy for Bron: he worked his ass off and got to go where he wanted when his former owner was terrible and refused to give him a complimentary top 20 talent. Bron didn't sit around like Garnett waiting for a trade. That's progress. Now you guys can continue hating him for not being selfish and money hungry. Or maybe you aren't being honest and just hate him for other reasons.

Jag

I'm happy for Bron: he worked his ass off and got to go where he wanted when his former owner was terrible and refused to give him a complimentary top 20 talent. Bron didn't sit around like Garnett waiting for a trade. That's progress. Now you guys can continue hating him for not being selfish and money hungry. Or maybe you aren't being honest and just hate him for other reasons.

I agree. Bron was chasing a title which he got, now he's forming his legacy. The money will come. A few million in salary isn't going to make or break him. The fact he came down here just makes it all sweeter.

fertygo

So apparently George got concussion symptom after that collision with Wade at 4th quarter, might as well close the series if he sat out for at least 2 game, ugh.
So your upset that the superstars did not ignore winning and do the douche bag option of talking all the money?

This is amazing how people contort themselves. I think the decision want the best approach but was happy a player was in full control of his destiny. There are many times when owners (golden state with mark jackson), GMs and coaches make business decisions that are terrible or suspect. Seeing a player have that much control is progress. Nearly every team wanted him and several made specific moves to attract him. I'm tired of shitty owners and GM's. I'm tired of their decisions. The players are why I show up and should have more power.

I'm a football fan; i'm all for the players having more control. I would watch more baseball if it wasn't so boring. These athletes put so much on the line that they deserve the position. It's also why I don't watch college ball. Too many social implications of players not having freedom and 'having' to serve these assholes.

Dude, we talking about breaking the even ground.. Any team in NBA will have problem if signing more than one max player, and that's fine.. Do you not seeing anything wrong three superstar working around the system to make formidable team while other building their team around various difficulties?

andthebeatgoeson

I agree. Bron was chasing a title which he got, now he's forming his legacy. The money will come. A few million in salary isn't going to make or break him. The fact he came down here just makes it all sweeter.
It's interesting to follow that logic out. Everyone is chasing a title. But you can't chase a title a certain way. It's okay to force a trade on draft day. Or force your GM to trade for pieces. Or wait for luck. Or spend your entire youth in a city not committed to winning then force a trade (sorry Barkley). I'm not saying one way or another is right. But when the focus is on winning, cats will do anything for that ring

Bowser

God so many early mocks have the Hornets taking McDermott at #9. I have to assume MJ will pass simply because of the Ammo nightmare experience.

Please don't take Dougie, anyone else. Take PJ Hairston, take Zach LaVine, take Gary Harris, take Nik Stauskas, take fucking Dario Saric, but please don't take McDermott.

So apparently George got concussion symptom after that collision with Wade at 4th quarter, might as well close the series if he sat out for at least 2 game, ugh.
Dude, we talking about breaking the even ground.. Any team in NBA will have problem if signing more than one max player, and that's fine.. Do you not seeing anything wrong three superstar working around the system to make formidable team while other building their team around various difficulties?

Its free agency for a reason.

Go wherever you want. Fans just salty he didn't pick the Knicks to create that fairy tale story line.

Just a quick heads up to any lurkers or casual posters in this thread: I used to try to follow the discussion here around playoff time but I couldn't stand the venemous insults and the flippant cockiness by many posters. Recently I stumbled onto reddit.com/r/nba and it's so much more fun. Posters are more open minded and have an interest in discussing the more nuanced parts of basketball tactics, matchups, politics, whatever. And any rivalry is usually on the playful side and rarely personal. Or at least it seems that way to me because the other comments are probably down voted. Anyway, sorry for the meta post; I'm hoping it helps someone out who is looking to talk to other fans.

You aren't wrong, and I'm surprised this particular thread isn't more heavily moderated after all the fallout earlier this year.

Bottom line is that trash talking in a sports thread is to be expected, but personal attacks and silly talk about "true fans" don't belong here. Debate should focus on people's comments and opinions, not the person making the comment.

If someone makes a ton of ridiculous comments with nothing to back it up, then by all means call them out for it using logic and facts. It's one thing to debate a person with an absurd opinion, especially when they try to state it as a cold, hard fact. It's another altogether to go on a personal skirmish against an individual. If you stay here long enough, you come to learn who brings substance to their posts and who are blind fanboys with horse blinders on. People's reputation on here usually preceedes them, and you have to approach what they post in that paradigm.

Sometimes, the right thing to do is stop feeding the beast when someone is trolling you or coming after you. Some guys just want to watch the world burn around them before they can admit they are wrong or don't know everything. Isolate them and move on. If they can't get the hint, use the ignore feature. I used it for the first time this past week and it has made my stay here that much more enjoyable.

Calling someone out for not being a "true fan" is dumb. We should welcome new people into the fold. We shouldn't ridicule an infrequent poster who only shows up when their team wins. Yes, a ton of new people who have never posted in here before will show up and claim "lifelong" status when the finals roll around and their team wins. Okay. Don't rip on them for it. Welcome them to the mix or move on.

I consider myself a fairly active member of this community, and I didn't comment at all in the second half of last night's game because I spent the evening with my wife and son. Was I dodging this thread because I didn't want to give the Heat their props for winning on the road? Nope. I'm a husband and dad with shifting priorities.

Nobody here wants another death nail driven into NBA GAF, and the simplest way to avoid that is to not act like collective assholes. Simple golden rule stuff here. Call people out on juvenile, inappropriate behavior. Don't engage in personal attacks. Don't violate the TOS. It's all fairly easy stuff to do.

Pimpwerx

Good post, Tragic. I didn't mean an insult calling what fertygo said jealousy, I just think that was the best label for that sort of reaction to what is honestly unselfish behavior. I don't see a problem with irrational hatred in sports, just admit it's irrational. I guess saying I felt like that as a kid was an unnecessary dig though, so I take that back. But it's kinda true. The older I've gotten, the easier it's been to give credit to a good team. 20 years ago I would have has a meltdown after losing to Dallas in the finals. In 2011, I could just nod and acknowledge they just played better.

I think the major problem before was the real fan nonsense like you said. I have no problem with extreme fans who love their teams. Forever got lots of heat for just being upbeat about his team that was bad for a long time. Getting called out all season as a bandwagon fan isn't welcoming. Trash talk is part of what makes sports so fun. Welcome people into the discussion so there's more people to trash talk. LOL. PEACE.

Jonm1010

Banned
Tragicomedy lecturing about substance to posts and humility is about the biggest joke of the day.

The guy who wants to make up shit arguments and then run away when the board pummels him with actual facts and then attacks people for shit he makes up and then puts them on ignore when they confront him. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

I mean anyone would agree with all his points but if your gonna spit it then at least try and live by it.

BoKkLJzCYAA0pJL.jpg

Just a quick heads up to any lurkers or casual posters in this thread: I used to try to follow the discussion here around playoff time but I couldn't stand the venemous insults and the flippant cockiness by many posters. Recently I stumbled onto reddit.com/r/nba and it's so much more fun. Posters are more open minded and have an interest in discussing the more nuanced parts of basketball tactics, matchups, politics, whatever. And any rivalry is usually on the playful side and rarely personal. Or at least it seems that way to me because the other comments are probably down voted. Anyway, sorry for the meta post; I'm hoping it helps someone out who is looking to talk to other fans.

I don't mind those post at all. I like the fact that most if not all of NBA gaf has that kind of fire in them when they post lol. One that makes this community different from the rest. And I agree with tragic, once the discussions goes on to become personal attacks/ were better fans than you are/ gtfo you dont know shit, that's when I stop paying attention and move on to other subjects... When I was new to the forum game, having the constraint to not reply on trollish post was tough, but I think I eventually learned it.

Tragicomedy lecturing about substance to posts and humility is about the biggest joke of the day.

pMUZET0.png

I don't mind those post at all. I like the fact that most if not all of NBA gaf has that kind of fire in them when they post lol. One that makes this community different from the rest. And I agree with tragic, once the discussions goes on to become personal attacks/ were better fans than you are/ gtfo you dont know shit, that's when I stop paying attention and move on to other subjects... When I was new to the forum game, having the constraint to not reply on trollish post was tough, but I think I eventually learned it.

Which in turn you make difficult for me when you quote Jonm1010's inane nonsense. ;)

This is just the exact type of behavior I'm talking about. He posted a poorly formed argument about FT distribution, several of us commented on how silly and narrow-sighted it was in the context of a game, and he went on a diatribe about how my opinion of Rajon Rondo is wrong and kept referencing some random post about Harden that means nothing to me. I might as well bring up my master's thesis as evidence for why the polar icecaps are melting.

One shortfall of putting a troll poster on my ignore list is I can apparently still read his nonsense when quoted by others. EviLore, get on that.

I guess on a positive note, that's the first time it has happened since I stopped responding to his near-constant nipping at my heels. Maybe it's a sign that more folks are tired of his garbage, but I suppose time will tell.

Bottom line: Be respectful of people. Respond to their posts. I don't need a small ADHD puppy swinging from my jockstrap because they can't beat me in a logical debate.

----

Back on topic, I really don't see OKC taking tonight's game. We'll see what sort of adjustments Brooks (LOL!) makes to cover down in the middle. I don't see us winning with a small ball lineup. We need some combination of Perkins, Collison, and Adams on the court at all times. At least one of them to plug the middle up. Let Durant and YNB do their thing, with some assistance from Jackson and Butler. Sefolosha should put in some work guarding Parker, as well.

Losing Ibaka probably killed our chances this series, but we have to stick to what works for us: solid defense leading to quick transition offense. That doesn't work when the Spurs have bigs posting up on Reggie Jackson in the paint.

Isn't Kevin Love just Carlos Boozer 2.0?

Love is a very impressive player that I've come to take for granted/underrate based on how awful his teams are. At least some of that rests on his shoulders, but the dude puts up huge numbers.

26 PPG, 12.5 boards, and 4.4 assists. He shoots well and doesn't commit too many TOs. He's a big value added to any team.

If the rumors of the Celtics swapping their pick for him come to fruition, I think that's a steal. Love is only 25 and is a proven contributor.

Jonm1010

Banned
If I can't get tragicomedy to actually face reality and admit he spewed a bunch of bullshit he can't backup, at least i'm having a ton of fun watching him try and turn into the moral authority of the board while simultanously getting all worked up about me while trying to(fairly poorly) bully by exclusion.

It's rather fun to watch.

If I can't get tragicomedy to actually face reality and admit he spewed a bunch of bullshit he can't backup, at least i'm having a ton of fun watching him try and turn into the moral authority of the board while simultanously getting all worked up about me while trying to(fairly poorly) bully by exclusion.

It's rather fun to watch.

He can't see your posts, you're on his ignore list.

Jonm1010

Banned
You just can't hate Tim Duncan - and man did I try after he bounced the Hornets from the playoffs - the guy just spending warm ups messing around with his kids before the game, you just can't hate that.

Top Bottom