• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Playoffs |OT| Men lie, Women lie, Bagels don't.

Shun

31-7 FT advantage

Steven Adams has attempted as many himself as the Spurs have

Not watching the game but how the fuck is this possible with an even foul count

It's not when this team is apparently self-entitled to these shitty calls.

I thought I could respect the Thunder, but like with 2012, this is the same stupid bullshit.

I'm just looking forward to how Thunders fans justify this crap.

Zach

It's not when this team is apparently self-entitled to these shitty calls.

I thought I could respect the Thunder, but like with 2012, this is the same stupid bullshit.

I'm just looking forward to how Thunders fans justify this crap.

Why is it the Thunder fans' responsibility to justify anything? And why, if the NBA is rigged as many of you seem to believe, do you watch and support it? Sounds pretty foolish.

dream

Why is it the Thunder fans' responsibility to justify anything? And why, if the NBA is rigged as many of you seem to believe, do you watch and support it? Sounds pretty foolish.

A story is told about a 19th century gambler who was gambling in a small town. A friend told him that the game was rigged, but the gambler remarked, “I know it’s crooked, but it’s the only game in town.”

It's the playoffs. Nothing wrong with taking whoever the Spurs' equivalent of Brian Scalabrine is and having him give Ibaka a couple of good, hard, clean playoff fouls to his lower body.

That's targeting players trying to cause them injuries. Either way, Serge is a very eclectic player and I like to see the good players participate in the games.

dream

That's targeting players trying to cause them injuries. Either way, Serge is a very eclectic player and I like to see the good players participate in the games.

Hey, if Serge is going to the rim, you gotta "block" the shot once he's in the air, even if he's gimpy and sure to exacerbate his injury if he lands badly. No easy layups in the playoffs.

HiResDes

My argument is based on what should be obvious. The Spurs don't look as impressive as they did last year, and therefore it's easy to say they were better last year. Plain and simple. Last year they didn't get pushed to 7 games in the first round.

You're underrating the Mavs let's be real.

j0hnnix

I'm with Syphon. I hope Dwyane gets another 95 FTs against OKC.

Ron-Paul_Its-Happening1.gif

Pop his hilarious.

His interview in between quarters with DA was funny too.

So is Craig Sager ever coming back? I remember a few weeks ago on NBA tonight they said that he was getting better and that he was out of the hospital. I don't know what he was in the hospital for.

I kinda miss his interviews with pop and pop commenting on what he's wearing.

MVP

Banned
You're underrating the Mavs let's be real.

Not in general, they're a solid team, but they became overrated by pushing the Spurs to 7, and they were the 8th seed for a reason. They haven't beaten the Heat since 2011 for a reason. It's like the Hawks pushing the Pacers to 7 games in the first round, so now the Hawks are some underrated dark horse? That happened because the Pacers are not who they were last year, and same with the Spurs.

Pimpwerx

I know what I believe. There are games where the refs just suck but then there's systematic favoritism that is supported by the numbers.
Nah. Outside of homecooking, that's tinfoil hat stuff. And homecooking evens out. There's no favoritism for OKC or anyone. It's always the losing team that blames the refs. It's a copout. PEACE.

strobogo

Banned
Nah. Outside of homecooking, that's tinfoil hat stuff. And homecooking evens out. There's no favoritism for OKC or anyone. It's always the losing team that blames the refs. It's a copout. PEACE.

Oh come on. No favoritism for anyone? Lebron getting calls anytime anyone breathes on him isn't favoritism? Or Kobe? Or Jordan? And the same goes for the opposite, when they somehow get away with blatant fouls that anyone else would be called on every time. Lebron was straight up grabbing jerseys Saturday night. Dude charges frequently. Stars have always gotten preferential treatment. Always and forever. No one can deny that.

I agree. Foul calls on the Thunder: 24 - foul calls on the Spurs: 20

Numbers don't lie.

22 FT's to 0 in one quarter. The numbers don't lie. They could make me a ref right now and I would know how to influence the game with all the right calls. It's not exactly incredibly nuanced to call shooting fouls consistently one way and call common fouls on another side.

Let's not forget that when you call fouls is important as well. Time and time again I see calls go heavily for a team in the first quarter only to get very little calls when it matters in the 4th.

effzee

Oh come on. No favoritism for anyone? Lebron getting calls anytime anyone breathes on him isn't favoritism? Or Kobe? Or Jordan? And the same goes for the opposite, when they somehow get away with blatant fouls that anyone else would be called on every time. Lebron was straight up grabbing jerseys Saturday night. Dude charges frequently. Stars have always gotten preferential treatment. Always and forever. No one can deny that.

Lebron was called for charging on Sat night.

Of course they get calls in their favor but Pacers get plenty of calls to go their way too.

strobogo

Banned
Lebron was called for charging on Sat night.

Of course they get calls in their favor but Pacers get plenty of calls to go their way too.

When was the last time he got a charging call? Even people that don't know the rules watch Lebron and can tell he's getting away with shit. Refs influence the games greatly. Way more than they should, because they are never consistent and if they make a bad call, they feel they need to make it up on the othe rside with a similarly bad call. And giving stars preferential treatment.

22 FT's to 0 in one quarter. The numbers don't lie. They could make me a ref right now and I would know how to influence the game with all the right calls. It's not exactly incredibly nuanced to call shooting fouls consistently one way and call common fouls on another side.

Let's not forget that when you call fouls is important as well. Time and time again I see calls go heavily for a team in the first quarter only to get very little calls when it matters in the 4th.

Isolation basketball vs ball movement.

Only slasher SAS have is Tony. Versus Reggie KD and Russ.

FT difference is style of play not in competence.

SAS also had 4 shots blocked in the 3rd. Just wasn't meant to be.

OKC won the FT line in Game one 23-17. Then lost 10-23, in a game they lost by 40. Game three 31-16.

Really has nothing to do with the refs and everything to do with the players on the court.

Isolation basketball vs ball movement.

Only slasher SAS have is Tony. Versus Reggie KD and Russ.

FT difference is style of play not in competence.

SAS also had 4 shots blocked in the 3rd. Just wasn't meant to be.

OKC won the FT line in Game one 23-17. Then lost 10-23, in a game they lost by 40. Game three 31-16.

Really has nothing to do with the refs and everything to do with the players on the court.

Sometimes a team can overcome refs if they are playing well enough though. San Antonio played well enough in those games and shot well enough that it didn't matter but in games where they're getting fucked on the calls and the 3 point shots aren't going down it makes a difference.

At the very least star treatment is a real thing.

All the stars attack the rim.

Its not like Kobe and the rest are drawing their FTs from being fouled on 3pt shots.

They are forcing the refs hand by going up strong.

Its an offense based game though. Should be plenty of FTs for star players. Or there would be many fights if you get mugged, like a certain era ESPN keeps trying to sell you on.

This FT narrative is absurd. OKC got virtually no calls in Games 1 and 2. Westbrook was fouled on literally every drive in Game 2 and didn't go to the free throw line once.

SAS wasn't aggressive going to the paint last night. Period. You're not entitled to calls in the NBA, you have to seek out the contact and make them happen.

This FT narrative is absurd. OKC got virtually no calls in Games 1 and 2. Westbrook was fouled on literally every drive in Game 2 and didn't go to the free throw line once.

SAS wasn't aggressive going to the paint last night. Period. You're not entitled to calls in the NBA, you have to seek out the contact and make them happen.

So what you're saying is that Thunder can't win without the Refs calling everything in their favor?

OKC got slapped the first two games. They are not getting away with much.

OKC at full strength is better than SAS. Last night was only the beginning of what's to come.

We're talking about star players. You said star players attack the basket, I said that doesn't explain what they (star players) get away with on defense.

What I'm saying is that the Spurs very much benefited from calls going in their favor in the first two games in equal or greater degree than the Thunder did in Game 3.

So where's the consistency then?

MVP

Banned
okc is an inferior team that needs the refs for wins.

Including the 4 straight wins OKC snapped off in the WC Finals, OKC has won 11 out of the last 15 games vs. Spurs. 2 of the 4 wins the Spurs have gotten have been without Ibaka.

Seriously, where do some of you come up with this shit? Do you just spout off random opinions hoping eventually you'll get one right? OKC matches up well with the Spurs, Miami matches up well with both of them, but much better with OKC, etc.

MVP

Banned
OKC got slapped the first two games. They are not getting away with much.

OKC at full strength is better than SAS. Last night was only the beginning of what's to come.

Don't bother, you're making too much sense, facts aren't allowed here. More random non-sensical opinions and you'll fit right in.

Including the 4 straight wins OKC snapped off in the WC Finals, OKC has won 11 out of the last 15 games vs. Spurs. 2 of the 4 wins the Spurs have gotten have been without Ibaka.

Seriously, where do some of you come up with this shit? Do you just spout off random opinions hoping eventually you'll get one right? OKC matches up well with the Spurs, Miami matches up well with both of them, but much better with OKC, etc.

Refs also helped them in 2012 WCF. Also you only want okc to win since heat will destroy them.

MVP

Banned
Refs also helped them in 2012 WCF. Also you only want okc to win since heat will destroy them.

Riiiiight...I don't want OKC to win, I think the storyline is better if the Spurs win. The Heat are beating either of them, but as a basketball fan I want to see the better series, and that'll be against the Spurs.

Top Bottom