• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NHL Playoffs: A thread full of jerk 'yoffs

Acid08

Banned
That's my biggest fear. Can't fuck around, especially when I have books sitting here to be read. I just need to get into better habits and read more than when I'm on the train/going to bed. Basically get off the computer more. I don't doubt that e-readers encourage users to read more though. Maybe this summer, depending on how much I'm reading. What is everyone reading right now?
I have tons of stuff to read but haven't started any of it :| like you said, need to stay away from the computer more.

I just finished Wiseguys (the precursor to Goodfellas) the other day and rereading Siddhartha. I'm generally on a non-fiction/autobiographical kick so it's time to read something that has a little more going on

iLLmAtlc

Currently reading Flash Boys by Michael Lewis and Smarter By Dan Hurley. Haven't had time to really dig into either yet due to exams.

I've also got "Nothing to Envy" (about North Korea) in my sights.

True. But the chokings of playoffs past are haunting me right now D:

Have to win Game 5. Otherwise it's back to LA and they'll have momentum. Lose that game and all the pressure is on you.

Didn't watch the game but sounds like the Sharks played well. If they keep up the effort and Niemi bounces back they'll be fine.

Roflobear

Finally forcing myself to start and finish Oryx and Crake before I read Elizabeth Warren's new book. I've been pushing it back and back and back for over a year now.

Oryx and Crake is pretty good. Its sequel The Year of the Flood is even better. Had to read both for a couple of my English classes. I've been meaning to read the last book in the trilogy but haven't gotten around to it.

That's my biggest fear. Can't fuck around, especially when I have books sitting here to be read. I just need to get into better habits and read more than when I'm on the train/going to bed. Basically get off the computer more. I don't doubt that e-readers encourage users to read more though. Maybe this summer, depending on how much I'm reading. What is everyone reading right now?

Roberto Saviani's Gommorah, I fucking love reading about organized crime. Thinking of starting Cloud Atlas once I'm done with that. I got a huge pile of books dropped on me when one of my buddies moved though so I'm kinda spoiled for choice.

edit: But there's a new hardcore history out so that's my culture for the week.

Acid08

Banned
Have to win Game 5. Otherwise it's back to LA and they'll have momentum. Lose that game and all the pressure is on you.

Didn't watch the game but sounds like the Sharks played well. If they keep up the effort and Niemi bounces back they'll be fine.
Yeah, Game 5 is a must win. The coaching staff is driving that home so the players should be thinking like that too. Home ice has always been huge between these teams and the Sharks were able to take one in LA which is comforting. Hope TMac can use the last change to his advantage like he did in the first two games.

Fascinating book and highly recommended. I've also read Escape from Camp 14, which I would recommend as well if you enjoy Nothing to Envy.

There was a thread recently about North Korean camps and it made me very interested in checking out Escape from Camp 14. That shit is fucked up

Good news all around. I hope Sbisa can limit his penalties though... He likes to take stupid fouls.

I just bought my game 7 ticket as I feel this series is going the distance.

Hopefully good Sbisa is playing tonight. He's pretty good when he plays simple safe hockey. Gets in trouble with hooking penalties when out of position

Q0ucFJq.png

Edit: Damn that's a large picture, sorry.

What is everyone reading right now?

Joe Abercrombie's trilogy, Glen Cook (Garrett Files) and Thomas Madden's book on the Crusades are the ones I am actively trying to finish.

But I have a lot of ones I've started and then not finished - ie, some Gene Wolfe, Saviani's Gomorrah, Douthat's Bad Religion, some boring Niall Ferguson book and so forth.

Acid08

Banned
Joe Abercrombie's trilogy, Glen Cook (Garrett Files) and Thomas Madden's book on the Crusades are the ones I am actively trying to finish.

But I have a lot of ones I've started and then not finished - ie, some Gene Wolfe, Saviani's Gomorrah, Douthat's Bad Religion, some boring Niall Ferguson book and so forth.
I have Shadow of the Torturer in my bag right now. Might start it since I accidentally showed up to work 3 hours early.

AcridMeat

Banned
Just go on Amazon and find a kindle. It's a targeted ad so you may or may not see it (not sure why you wouldn't though)
Daaaaaamn wow. Ahgh now it's an internal struggle. I have a stack of physical books here I need to get through. I prefer physical books, and I like getting used older releases when I buy them.

I think I'll hold off.

...I'll post in an hour when I buy one...

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
San Jose Sharks ‏@SanJoseSharks 1h
Players With At Least One Playoff Goal:
SJS-12
MTL-10
PIT-10
CBJ-9
DAL-9
CHI-9
LAK-9
BOS-9
NYR-8
STL-8
ANA-8
TBL-8
MIN-7
PHI-6
COL-5
DET-3

Step your game up, Avs and Wings.

San Jose Sharks ‏@SanJoseSharks 1h
Players With At Least One Playoff Goal:
SJS-12
MTL-10
PIT-10
CBJ-9
DAL-9
CHI-9
LAK-9
BOS-9
NYR-8
STL-8
ANA-8
TBL-8
MIN-7
PHI-6
COL-5
DET-3

Well the Wings have only scored 4 goals the entire series...

AcridMeat

Banned
...I'll post in an hour when I buy one...
I didn't even make it an hour. Fuck. I'm going to wash this filth off now, I feel dirty.

Oh and to answer the question earlier. 1984 is what I'm getting through, then have Cat's Cradle I want to read next. Still have a fair amount of Chew to get through when I get the comic itch too.

Merguson

Banned
I have a 3 year old keyboard model kindle. I still use it, would like to upgrade but I'm not willing to lose the keyboard.

I have one of those. Unfortunately I don't use it that often. I find myself often reading using the Kindle android app on my phone. Very convenient.

I'm reading through The Devil's Pulpit by Robert Taylor and Lectures on Ancient Philosophy by Manly Hall. Both physical copies because neither have Kindle versions, but also anything I study I need a physical copy of. The tools just aren't there yet for e-readers in regards to studying, not for me at least.

Montresor

If anyone from Toronto-gaf and NHL-gaf here wants to come to the Jays game with me in 40 mins and you are already in downtown, let me know. I have four front-row tickets i got from work but my buddies couldn't make it... Boo.

My favorite player in Avs history proves he's a complete waste of space. http://vimeo.com/92970195

I feel for Avs management next season, we need to not only get better on defense but clearly we need much better third and fourth liners. Mitchell and I suppose Talbot are the only two players I'd like them to keep from those two lines. Everyone else needs to just get the hell out.

Roy after practice today
"Now it's our turn to — sorry for the words — put our balls on the table"

..lol

We are missing our leading scorer in Duchene, plus; Tanguay, Mitchell and Barrie.

My favorite player in Avs history proves he's a complete waste of space. http://vimeo.com/92970195

I feel for Avs management next season, we need to not only get better on defense but clearly we need much better third and fourth liners. Mitchell and I suppose Talbot are the only two players I'd like them to keep from those two lines. Everyone else needs to just get the hell out.

Roy after practice today

..lol

It would be nice to add some scoring, perhaps a veteran like Cammalleri.

O'reilly-Duchene-Parenteau
Landeskog-Stastny-MacKinnon
Cammalleri-Hishon-Tanguay
Talbot-Mitchell-McGinn

That would be pretty stacked.

Top Bottom