• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NHL Playoffs: A thread full of jerk 'yoffs

Marvie_3

Banned
Honestly wish they would just go back to the originals:
I have one of those. :D

Shit around the bottom of the jersey never looks as good in practice as it does in the concepts.

Bullshit. These space invaders look awesome

201092063856906.1.jpg

Really enjoyed the Ducks game. Stars showed a lot of heart and could have tied the game on a few occasions. Made it close, which is good for Anaheim. They won't be overconfident coming into game 2. Perhaps Getzy will be pissed that it got so close and take it out on Dallas next game.

Looking forward to the games tomorrow.

So apparently Getzlaf is gonna be all good and will just need a few stitches and some tidying up. This is good.

you are correct sir, this is the gaf nhl thread, and the ducks, if not from some terrible officiating, were gonna handle the stars with ease

This is incredibly incorrect. There were bad calls, but it in no way denied the Ducks anything. Defensive system was being played as soon as they were up 4-0 (keep both D and another player in the neutral zone unless pressure is established down low somehow by two players, then they execute a cycle game or pull the trigger depending on circumstances). Unfortunately when Boudreau choose his lines to play in that system, they end up coughing up the puck more than usual.

I think my comment regarding underestimating stems from people thinking it will be an easy 4-0 for Anaheim. I really doubt it will. We will push them pretty hard and it won't be a series they can breeze over. Wanted to clarify that.

Dallas will certainly have a renewed confidence going into Game 2. But teams usually do in the playoffs anyway. They could get blown out one game and come back and win the next. Playoffs are so unpredictable like that. Especially now that we have advanced stats, video coaches that are par for par just as good as assistant coaches and systems that teams are confiding in.

Who says this anymore? I thought I was in the NHL thread not the Jerry Springer thread?

No it's "Y'all dun narrr me!".

so just because someone doesnt post in this thread on a regular basis you automatically assume they're bandwagon fans?

newsflash: the majority of nhl fans dont post here.

again, you dont know me

If you've had a GAF account that's gotten to member and you haven't even posted in here once even after the past two awesome regular seasons we've been having, then you're gonna be a stranger to people and will have to wear the bandwagon label. The crux of the insular community.

But really, being a bandwagoner isn't a bad thing at all in that regard. We're all here to enjoy the game and have fun and banter while doing it. The more the merrier. Hell, I will only care about other sports teams in my area if they were playing well in the postseason. I'm literally a Brisbane Lions and Brisbane Roar bandwagoner.

What IS a bad thing is blaming refs for the Stars coming back (which COMPLETELY takes away credit from good plays the Stars made, like Seguin blurring in and shooting a laser) and being classless to established members. The Ducks were caught lazy, Perry was snakebit and frustrated (where have we seen this before?) and the Stars capitalised on those opportunities.

Chill out and enjoy the next few months with us and see what's on offer.

Just...

(when they win the cup)

... Don't say that. Ever.

So I forgot to shave my beard. By the time I found out playoffs starts today, it was too late (2 minutes late actually). Now I don't want to jinx shit regardless of how less control (note: no control) I have over playoffs. :/

I <3 Bryzgalov

Asked what the recipe for success is, Bryzgalov said there is no such thing, explaining, "You can't just add paprika."
Suter was partly amused and partly flabbergasted when Bryz- galov encouraged Jets fans to taunt him while the Jets were circling the puck in the offensive zone. With Bryzgalov waving his arms to the tune of “Il-ya, Il-ya,” the goalie suddenly had to drop into his butterfly to stop a point shot.

After a line change, Suter skated to Bryzgalov, whom he kiddingly calls “Vladimir,” and told him, “Hey, if they score, you’re going to look like an idiot.”

Bryzgalov’s reply? “Yeah, I know, but it’s just how it is. Tradition,” Suter laughed as he imitated Bryzgalov’s thick Russian brogue. “He’s a good dude.”

Solo

It occurs to me that last night was the first game all season where ALL 4 centres played really well. Top to bottom, DD/Pleks/Eller/Briere were dynamite and the reason we won. Encouraging sign.

Also, HFB entertaining me this morning:

BlYhp44CIAENI9O.jpg

aKYbe3E.gif
Drqb3Rt.gif

Gudas getting his ankles broken by Pleky:

848753171.gif

I actually sat next to a bunch of Australians last night, they were at the game as part of their vacation. They figured it'd be more entertaining than a baseball game. Good choice. They've never seen hockey in their lives. They enjoyed themselves.

They drank a lot of beer is what I'll remember.

Tonight we're all Sharks fans.

Alucard

Banned
Hoping the Pens just needed to get the initial playoff shakes out of their system last night. Expecting a more dominant performance on Saturday.

zroid

Banned
Confession time: I have a yotes branded jacket

in my defence it was in the 90s and we all made mistakes in that decade

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
It occurs to me that last night was the first game all season where ALL 4 centres played really well. Top to bottom, DD/Pleks/Eller/Briere were dynamite and the reason we won. Encouraging sign.

Also, HFB entertaining me this morning:

BlYhp44CIAENI9O.jpg

aKYbe3E.gif
Drqb3Rt.gif

Gudas getting his ankles broken by Pleky:

848753171.gif

Haha Bergevin

So I figure if I load up on enough caffeine I might be able to avoid the coma that watching Minnesota puts one in. Might have to grab some smelling salts, maybe a car battery to hook to my nipples. One way or another I will see the full length of this game. Any tips from our resident Wild fans? How do you so expertly keep the sandman at bay?

manfestival

canadiens fans are so funny. I have been going to the recent games but canadiens fans are far more tolerable than say... bruins fans. Lightning defense needs to step it up. otherwise RIP playoffs. Lindback sux and bring back bishop for wins

ZeroGravity

If the Habs get 40+ shots again Bishop won't matter.
On a consistent basis, sure. Lightning D was bad and that's probably the worst they'll play in the series (I can't imagine what would be even worse). But Bishop can easily steal a game making 40+ saves whereas Lindback can't, and never will.

TrueGrime

Consistently leaving guys unchecked in the front of the net will help no goaltender. No matter who they are. For what it was worth, that was a hell of a game between the Habs and the Lightning.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Fast was taking a "maintenance morning" and doesn't necessarily mean he's out, according to AV.

Miller, Diaz, and Falk stayed on the ice as extras after morning skate, so looks like they're the scratches.

I guess whether it's Fast or Carcillo in the lineup will be a game time decision.

You're Australian? How did you come to like the NHL if you don't mind me asking? Is hockey popular there?

It's anything but popular. It has a following, and a league, a national team, a pub night in our city CBD dedicated to it... And last year an Australian got signed to the Washington Capitals AHL affiliate. That's it though.

I like hockey because I watched the 2003 SCF with a friend who's a Devils fan and it kicked the shit out of all the terrible Australian sports. And Giggy and Kariya were fucking awesome etc.

I actually sat next to a bunch of Australians last night, they were at the game as part of their vacation. They figured it'd be more entertaining than a baseball game. Good choice. They've never seen hockey in their lives. They enjoyed themselves.

My friends parents were at the Jets 4-0 collapse. Kinda jealous.

They drank a lot of beer is what I'll remember.

Tonight we're all Sharks fans.

We do that.

And yes, yes we are.

Listen here Mr. Soap, I am an eloquent and temperate young man.

The Dallas Stars hideous logo is so terrible it reduces me to a puddle of daft incoherence.

Well look what they got to work with...

"OK, YOU'RE LIKE... THE MINNESOTA NORTH STARS. BUT NOT. YOU'RE IN DALLAS. AND YOU'VE ALREADY DONE A FEW REITERATIONS OF THE CLASSIC MINNESOTA LOGO AND YOU TRIED A CLASSIC SPORTS JERSEY WORDSCROLL THAT FAILED...

ERRR...

WELL FUCK.

HIRE A GRAPHIC DESIGNER GRAD STUDENT AND TELL HIM TO #SWAG IT AND YOLO"

I like the jerseys and logo fyi.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
So apparently Carcillo is NOT in. Which would leave the lineup tonight as:

Nash-Stepan-St.Louis
Pouliot-Brassard-Zuccarello
Hagelin-Richards-Fast
Boyle-D.Moore-Dorsett

McDonagh-Girardi