• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NHL Playoffs |OT2| 'Yoff Harder

So I just got off work and HOLY SHIT WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY ESPN APP

5 goals in the 3rd, 3 of which were scored by Carter?

IN CHICAGO?

What was the actual score and how much did the Kings lose by?

Oh man

This was the first odd game I've ever watched

"COOL, Hawks are up 2-0, time to walk to the closest bar and enjoy the the victorious conclusion to the game", I think to myself

One hour sitting by myself at the local dive and three drinks later: "Am I drunkenly hallucinating?"

Seriously, what the hell happened? Not only am I new to hockey, but I'm new to sports in general. How often are momentum shifts that dramatic?

Oh man

"COOL, Hawks are up 2-0, time to walk to the closest bar and enjoy the the victorious conclusion to the game", I think to myself

One hour sitting by myself at the local dive and three drinks later: "Am I drunkenly hallucinating?"

Seriously, what the hell happened? Not only am I new to hockey, but I'm new to sports in general. How often are momentum shifts that dramatic?

The Hawks love to take periods or entire games off. Get used to it.

Oh man

It's not unprecedented. Especially these days where the rules favor speed. Years ago whenever a team would get a lead they can sit on it and muck up the neutral zone to hold off the other team.

Also this is Chicago where they decide on a whim they don't want to play too hard

ShaneB

Oh man

Get used to the idea that sports are never over until it's over.

Crazy shit happening is par for the course.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I come out of Godzilla and everything is right in the world, then I come back to this? What in Christ's name happened?

WHAT DID YOU DO, BLACKHAWKS?

Mentok

Banned
It's not unprecedented. Especially these days where the rules favor speed. Years ago whenever a team would get a lead they can sit on it and muck up the neutral zone to hold off the other team.

Also this is Chicago where they decide on a whim they don't want to play too hard

Ahh the days of the 'ole New Jersey trap...exciting hockey times those were. Chicago fans shouldn't worry yet, it was 1 terrible period. This series will be a doozy.

The Hawks love to take periods or entire games off. Get used to it.

While I don't understand how "speed" can turn a game that dramatically, I'm sure I'll learn why that's such an important element in time.

Chicago "taking a period off" though is clearly the bitter inside joke of a jaded fan, which would be great if I had been following the team for years, but as of now doesn't help me understand anything :p THe Hawks are clearly a great team, so I highly doubt they randomly get tired on the ice and think "fuck it, lalallalalalala!" 2/3rds through a game.

Get used to the idea that sports are never over until it's over.

Crazy shit happening is par for the course.
Yeah, that's one of the things I'm most excited about!

Ahh the days of the 'ole New Jersey trap...exciting hockey times those were. Chicago fans shouldn't worry yet, it was 1 terrible period. This series will be a doozy.

Exactly New Jersey.

Anaheim and other teams ran the trap then too. Jacques Lemaire just ran it to boring perfection.

Marvie_3

Banned
While I don't understand how "speed" can turn a game that dramatically, I'm sure I'll learn why that's such an important element in time.

Chicago "taking a period off" though is clearly the bitter inside joke of a jaded fan, which would be great if I had been following the team for years, but as of now doesn't help me understand anything :p THe Hawks are clearly a great team, so I highly doubt they randomly get tired on the ice and think "fuck it, lalallalalalala!" 2/3rds through a game.

.....that's what they do though.

Speed is important when you want to score, either by rushing in or counter attacking a turnover. Back in the day you'd have to go through a bunch of players just to get in the zone and they'd all clutch and grab you as you went by. With rules where interference is called more often than not it allows for speedier teams to skate without getting held up. More chances to get in the zone to try to score.

Chicago probably doesn't consciously take a period off. At least I hope not, but they weren't ready for the Kings coming out gunning. After they scored the tying goal LA didn't let up and Chicago were on their heels 'defending' when they should have taken it right back. LA with the lead know how to play by not turning the puck over. Probably a coaching thing too where Coach Q doesn't make the adjustments

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

.....that's what they do though.

As a Canucks fan that watched his team go from 3-0 at the end of the second period to losing 3-7 against the fucking ISLANDERS......... that can definitely happen.

Calamari41

41 > 38

One thing you'll find as you watch more and more hockey, especially important games, is that shit can flip in an absolute instant. All it takes is one shot, and you can add a point to the board. Five seconds later, another shot can put one more up.

Just look earlier in these playoffs, Game 6 of Anaheim vs Dallas. Ducks were down by two goals with just over two minutes left to go in the game, and they won. It ended up being three goals scored in something like four or five minutes, including overtime. You will become so jaded and paranoid that you will be a nervous wreck no matter how big your team's lead is and no matter how little time they have to run out.

It's a huge part of why hockey is so fun to watch, and it is also the reason that everybody in this thread will die of a heart attack around this time of year at some random point in their lives.

Oh, and I know you asked about what resources you can get into in order to learn a thing or two way earlier in the thread. When I was 8 or 9, after I had been going to games for a year or two and realized that hockey was the shit, I straight up bought and studied Hockey for Dummies. Any book like that will be a really good resource as you watch games.

Just look earlier in these playoffs, Game 6 of Anaheim vs Dallas. Ducks were down by two goals with just over two minutes left to go in the game, and they won. It ended up being three goals scored in something like four or five minutes, including overtime. You will become so jaded and paranoid that you will be a nervous wreck no matter how big your team's lead is and no matter how little time they have to run out.

Happier times. Kingslunk will never forget.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
stupidsexyhankstatsglkb9.png

Who wants smoothies?

Smiley90

So I'm mindlessly browsing online dating sites when suddenly

"My self-summary
i'm a die hard San Jose Sharks fan"

way to kill it with the first sentence girl

Smiley90

Maybe she knows how to choke
on a penis.

Give her a shot, I say.

Given how many Leafs/Canucks-couples there are in Vancouver, I'm gonna start assuming this kind of choketeam-choketeam partnership might actually work.

Smiley90

Wow, I don't get how the puck changes direction after he headbutts it. Did it just bounce off his head twice?

looks like it bounces on top of his helmet onto crossbar to me, but I'd need another angle to confirm.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I've watched that shit from every angle they've got multiple times, and I still have no clue what the hell happened.

Like, I don't think it actually hits his helmet.

Clydefrog

^^^^^^

not only that, but when you have two teams that are pretty close, subtle momentum shifts and fluke happenstances can swing games. The Kings and the Hawks are super close and the series will be back and forth like this.

Felt like it was weirder during the Ducks games. Ducks could have gone up 10-1 in like... three games.

edit:

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Hawks could be on their way to a 3rd cup in 5 years, but lets fire Quennville. Anything less than 5 straight cups is down right embarrassing.

I kind of want the Habs to lose tonight so I don't have to think about this series while I'm away this weekend.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Felt like it was weirder during the Ducks games. Ducks could have gone up 10-1 in like... three games.

edit:

Clydefrog, bro, you missed me calling you out before the game started because you had already left for whatever it was you were doing. I stumbled upon your admission in the "Where To Live In Orange County" thread that you live in Newport Beach but wish you could live in Laguna Beach.

Why on earth are you a Kings fan when you clearly have the good taste to actually choose to live in Best County? The best city in the county, at that.

Clyde, it's time to get on the Ducks train. Give back to the community that has given you so much.

Top Bottom