• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NHL Playoffs |OT2| 'Yoff Harder

Calamari41

41 > 38
Lol, OC is cool ;)

I really just can't get down with LA proper though. Not my type of city. SD is super nice too.

San Diego is basically the best of both LA and OC. You've got the more urban lifestyle of LA with the clean, non-crowded, beachie atmosphere of OC.

Acid08

Banned
You have a perfectly good reason to root for New York teams. I just don't get dodger fans who were born and raised here in Orange County. Nomo-Mania/Fernando-Mania was a pretty big influence I suppose. Even I liked Hideo Nomo.

I'm just critical of local fans who seem to pick teams with no reason. I know local folks who are Giants fans just because they won some championships or had clam chowder in a bread bowl before. Terrible fans.
Our sourdough bread bowls and clam chowder are fucking baller.

But yeah Giants fans suck ass. Friend of mine who goes to games pretty often and he was describing a conversation a group of dudes, decked out in Giants gear, were having behind him:

"What's a foul ball?"

"I think it's when the person in the field catches it and the batter is out."

"Oh yeah that sounds right!"

I don't even pretend to like baseball but man, even I know what a goddamn foul ball is.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Our sourdough bread bowls and clam chowder are fucking baller.

But yeah Giants fans suck ass. Friend of mine was goes to games pretty often and he was describing a conversation a group of dudes, decked out in Giants gear, were having behind him:

"What's a foul ball?"

"I think it's when the person in the field catches it and the batter is out."

"Oh yeah that sounds right!"

I don't even pretend to like baseball but man, even I know what a goddamn foul ball is.

This is exactly what the Pond turns into during a Kings game, no joke. I think I chronicled some of the stuff from the most recent games I went to, but yeah. It's non-stop with stuff like that from Kings fans.

You have a perfectly good reason to root for New York teams. I just don't get dodger fans who were born and raised here in Orange County. Nomo-Mania/Fernando-Mania was a pretty big influence I suppose. Even I liked Hideo Nomo.

I'm just critical of local fans who seem to pick teams with no reason. I know local folks who are Giants fans just because they won some championships or had clam chowder in a bread bowl before. Terrible fans.

I went to the Dodgers/Giants games two weeks ago. I was surprised by how many people are Giants fans but born and raised in the GLAA. It's just weird.

LA is a fantastic city if you're super into music and food. I just happen to be. I can't find another city that let's me get two solid shows a week like clockwork (Low End weekly and miscellaneous tours otherwise). Then the other weekly showcases from time to time.

Otherwise, it has pros and cons. Probably a few more of the latter, but you can't get everything. And living in Playa Vista is nice.

If SD had LA's music scene it'd be paradise tho.

You go to Low End on Weds? I've been wanting to go but my friends aren't down. I'm going the next time Tokimonsta plays there.

Acid08

Banned
LA is a fantastic city if you're super into music and food. I just happen to be. I can't find another city that let's me get two solid shows a week like clockwork (Low End weekly and miscellaneous tours otherwise). Then the other weekly showcases from time to time.

Otherwise, it has pros and cons. Probably a few more of the latter, but you can't get everything. And living in Playa Vista is nice.

If SD had LA's music scene it'd be paradise tho.
Lol well aren't most big cities great if you're into music and food? What I love about the Bay Area is that we have multiple cities that all have their own kind of culture and scenes to them. SF is more upper crust/gets the biggest events, Oakland is much more low key/hip hop influenced, Berkeley is your quintessential college town and has a bit of everything. The South Bay keeps getting more and more interesting as more people are moving there. Great place to live, if you can afford it. Super grateful I got to grow up here. Basically lived in the Berkeley punk scene from 15-18.

This is exactly what the Pond turns into during a Kings game, no joke. I think I chronicled some of the stuff from the most recent games I went to, but yeah. It's non-stop with stuff like that from Kings fans.

I can confess to contributing to this. I take a lot of my friends to hockey games because it's a fun time for anyone, fan or not, and a significant chunk of the conversation will be "Why did they stop?" or straight up "What's going on?". LA Hockey Culture. Breeds a casual interest though, which can turn into something more.

You go to Low End on Weds? I've been wanting to go but my friends aren't down. I'm going the next time Tokimonsta plays there.

I'm there every week man, you should definitely go. Don't expect to see Tokimonsta announced. The past year or so they've stopped billing even moderately popular acts after some poor line behavior and a near riot. If there's a surprise guest it'll be announced after Daddy Kev around...maybe 10:15-30ish, or just before they go on randomly. Mary Anne Hobbs just showed up out of nowhere last week, as an example.

Was furious because DJ Shadow showed up one of the weeks I didn't go. Same with Cashmere Cat and Erykah Badu. :(

Let's just all agree that West LA sucks. Too commercial and full of tourist.

I'm there every week man, you should definitely go. Don't expect to see Tokimonsta announced. The past year or so they've stopped billing even moderately popular acts after some poor line behavior and a near riot. If there's a surprise guest it'll be announced after Daddy Kev around...maybe 10:15-30ish, or just before they go on randomly. Mary Anne Hobbs just showed up out of nowhere last week, as an example.

Was furious because DJ Shadow showed up one of the weeks I didn't go. Same with Cashmere Cat and Erykah Badu. :(

I was actually supposed to go to the night Erykah Badu showed up but my production classmates needed help.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I can confess to contributing to this. I take a lot of my friends to hockey games because it's a fun time for anyone, fan or not, and a significant chunk of the conversation will be "Why did they stop?" or straight up "What's going on?". LA Hockey Culture. Breeds a casual interest though, which can turn into something more.

Yeah, and really there's nothing at all wrong with someone trying to get into the game. The reason it bugs me with the general visiting Kings fan is because those same people have usually just finished telling you to suck their cock, or calling your grandmother a bitch for clapping after a home team goal.

Let's just all agree that West LA sucks. Too commercial and full of tourist.

I lived in West LA for four years, and it's not that bad. The main problem is the volume of people and cars. You basically have to live right where you want to go out and do stuff in the evenings, because there's no way in hell you're getting anywhere else.

Lol well aren't most big cities great if you're into music and food? What I love about the Bay Area is that we have multiple cities that all have their own kind of culture and scenes to them. SF is more upper crust/gets the biggest events, Oakland is much more low key/hip hop influenced, Berkeley is your quintessential college town and has a bit of everything. The South Bay keeps getting more and more interesting as more people are moving there. Great place to live, if you can afford it. Super grateful I got to grow up here. Basically lived in the Berkeley punk scene from 15-18.

That's fair, but with respect to music LA is kind of its own animal. Especially with local talent filling out venues every night, or artists who come here just to record and do one off afterparties/residency sets. I missed the hell out of it living in San Diego and now that I'm splitting time between both cities I find myself way more attracted to LA.

Lived in SF during highschool though, wonderful city and you're right about the diversity. LA replicates that a bit just by being so spread out and with different areas being distinct.

My overall CA rankings would be:

San Diego
San Francisco/Bay Area
Los Angeles
Santa Barbara
Orange County-area

In that order.

I was actually supposed to go to the night Erykah Badu showed up but my production classmates needed help.

Ugh, brutal. Props for being a good friend though.

Mentok

Banned
I seriously hope we can make a series out of this. Sweeping TB, beating the President's Trophy winners in an emotional battle only to be swept by NY would kill me...

not-like-this.gif

I hope someone in the MTL organization captured that shot of Sather with his feet up all relaxed, blew it up and posted it in the players' locker room. That's how NY is treating this series right now.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I can't imagine sweeping the Habs, and I can't imagine winning 3 times in a row at Bell Centre, so to me the most realistic best case scenario right now is losing tonight and winning the series in 6.

It sure would be swell to just get this series over with this weekend, though.

Three days in a row we've gone from bright hot day to raining and hailing like fucking crazy right around 2:30 and all the way into the evening. The tornados are a'comin, people. I will soon live in the clouds.

Roflobear

Three days in a row we've gone from bright hot day to raining and hailing like fucking crazy right around 2:30 and all the way into the evening. The tornados are a'comin, people. I will soon live in the clouds.

Jeez, hail in the spring? I was getting annoyed with a measly little thunderstorm today. Colorado weather is crazy

TrueGrime

Finally get back from Disney with a chance to watch this game and other individuals schedule hockey practice tonight during the entire game.

My overall CA rankings would be:

San Diego
San Francisco/Bay Area
Los Angeles
Santa Barbara
Orange County-area

In that order.

I'd go

Santa Barbara
San Francisco
LA/OC Tied

Santa Barbara has more of a small town feel to it vs the others on your list. I went to UCSB (I know technically not SB but Isla Vista) The whole area has a Spanish type architecture to it and the people are basically the same as the wealthiest areas of Orange County (most of the students at UCSB were from OC area when I attended). Great schools, chill atmosphere, good for raising kids.

San Fran is one of my favorite cities. My family has a vacation rental (rent control is crappy for business) up in Forest Hill, was built in 1927. You just can't beat the sense of history and culture in that city. Everything is close because of the muni. Great for young professionals but space comes at a high price.

As for LA vs OC I'd say if you are in a nice part of either it's a wash. Though LAUSD schools are crap, but you get a free iPad!

Only vacationed in SD so I can't really speak to it as a place to live.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I was jumping in with the Rangers thanks to Lundqvist, but after those Power Rangers experiences I am firmly back on the side of Habs GAF.

Some things are worse than losing.

Roflobear

TrueGrime

How were the crowds at Disney (World I assume)?

Yup. World. Very manageable. For all the parks during a four-day stay I don't think we waited over 60 minutes to get on any ride. It was only really crowded during the fireworks show at night at Magic Kingdom. I've been there before during the months of Jun-Aug and the crowd and wait times have been unbearable.

Montresor

Hopefully the Rangers do well early and the home crowd sings Ole. *knock on wood*

The Philly crowd did the same thing in 2010 when the Flyers beat MTL in the ECF.

zroid

Banned
Yup. World. Very manageable. For all the parks during a four-day stay I don't think we waited over 60 minutes to get on any ride. It was only really crowded during the fireworks show at night at Magic Kingdom. I've been there before during the months of Jun-Aug and the crowd and wait times have been unbearable.

I was there over New Year's this past holiday. We decided to go to Magic Kingdom on New Year's for the NY fireworks (which were indeed amazing). Actually went on Dec 30th which is like a dress rehearsal of sorts, and it's kinda awkward because they pretend it's the 31st, but it was (slightly) less crowded than the real thing. I have heard the park actually gets "full" on the 31st and they have to turn people away at the gates.

In spite of that... it required fastidious use of Fastpass to basically get anything done. :lol

Top Bottom