• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 Olympic Men's Ice Hockey Tournament | Salt on an international level

Status
Not open for further replies.
840048619.gif

[/IMG]

This will live on forever in infamy. The fact is that it shouldn't have happened anyways, but if it had gone in, it wouldn't have been fair regardless of which team it happened to.

mileS

You have a point there. As a Canadian, I will be straight up... we didn't deserve that win. Too many sloppy plays. US was vastly outplaying us. Lets not forget the first goal that went off the USA players knee and in. We held it together. Our goaltender saved the game for us.

The calls at the end were bullshit. But they would have gone either way and you guys could have won off them too.

So I'd actually rather take the power play over the penalty shot. Glad it went that way. It should have been a penalty shot but at 4 on 3 vs a one time penalty shot I actually think the odds would be more in favor of the power play.

Don't kid yourselves, any ref would have called a penalty on that breakaway.. just 99/100 would have made it a penalty shot (which may have actually worked out better for the US).

This is true. You gotta at least get side to side before you wipe them out or its an automatic call every time.

My theory on the no penalty shot call is that the ref grew up playing NHL '94 where it doesn't count as a breakaway until the puck carrier gets across the blue line all alone. My first thought on the replay was "wait it wasn't a breakaway yet, she didn't cross the blue line lol"

Dragon

Banned
So I'd actually rather take the power play over the penalty shot. Glad it went that way. It should have been a penalty shot but at 4 on 3 vs a one time penalty shot I actually think the odds would be more in favor of the power play.

It should have been nothing. But yes you're right, a 4 on 3 powerplay especially.

Silkworm

This kind of feels like the 2011 FIFA Women's World Cup when Japan won in penalty kicks.... But these wounds will heal eventually, and the USA's women's hockey team will be ready to play in the next winter Olympics. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom