• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 Olympic Men's Ice Hockey Tournament | Salt on an international level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boogdud

Are US fans this obnoxious when they crush people in basketball in the summer olympics? I mean, there's celebration but this is pathetic.

Blader

So should everyone there. They got a silver medal, that's no easy feat.

They lost in the gold medal game, to their arch rivals, after an unbelievable choke job.

Silver medalists in hockey always feel like shit because you have to lose to get the silver, but this loss was especially tough. I don't blame them for feeling like shit.

Parch

This is true. You gotta at least get side to side before you wipe them out or its an automatic call every time.
When it's a clear breakaway like that it has to be a call, even when it isn't an obvious hook or cross check. The only judgement involved is whether it's 2 or a penalty shot.

zedge

Are US fans this obnoxious when they crush people in basketball in the summer olympics? I mean, there's celebration but this is pathetic.
Crush??? Lol..wtf. Not even the same thing. US is just as good.. They were down 2-0. Did you even watch?? And yes you guys are probably worse.

Dragon

Banned

I wouldn't go into the NHL thread on GAF if you think this is obnoxious.

Not even the same thing. US is just as good.. And yes you guys are probably worse.

Based on what? It's a stupid thing to even compare. Which country is worse on GAF about talking about toilets might as well be the followup.

yyzjohn

Banned

You'll always get a percentage of fans who are sore winners and love to rub it in. That's human nature. I think most Canadian fans are pretty respectful as we've lived through huge hockey wins and losses many many times.

Fixed1979

Came in to check for salt...leaving happy. Hopefully another hockey loss tomorrow will be enough to push some over the edge.

Stet

Banned

Did you miss the posts earlier in the thread telling Canada to suck it? Turnabout is fair play.

Blader

You'll always get a percentage of fans who are sore winners and love to rub it in. That's human nature. I think most Canadian fans are pretty respectful as we've lived through huge hockey wins and losses many many times.

Not here :lol

This is nothing though, plenty of Canadian GAFers during Vancouver were downright assholes.

freshair

dat linesman

840048222.gif

Not here :lol

This is nothing though, plenty of Canadian GAFers during Vancouver were downright assholes.

Sports fans in general are hyperbolic trolls that make participation in conversation downright unpleasant and unapproachable. I follow and enjoy MMA but I won't touch a thread on here with a one thousand foot pole with any seriousness.

Might has well either join in with the over-the-top nature or watch from the side.

Canada didn't even make the olympics in basketball in 2012...

Yeah and they pulled that game out of their butts too. It's just setting themselves up for when it actually blows up in their faces.

Lol I kind of can't stand Tim and Sid anymore but the karate kid song lollllll

zedge

Sports fans in general are hyperbolic trolls that make participation in conversation downright unpleasant and unapproachable. I follow and enjoy MMA but I won't touch a thread on here with a one thousand foot pole with any seriousness.

Might has well either join in with the over-the-top nature or watch from the side.
Funny that the worst post came from a US fan.. Who was banned. :lol

Trey

US is so far ahead of the rest of the world in basketball it's never in doubt unless we send second tier players. Last two Olympics it came down to Spain, which seems to not have a huge presence on GAF.

Compare to hockey, which is Canada's national sport. Relative to US and basketball, there's much more national competition in Olympic hockey, particularly from a bordering country that shares a lot of culture. And there's a significant Canadian population that frequents this board.

Zabka

Anyone thinking they're better or worse than any other country when it comes to winning at international events is just fooling themselves.

Fixed1979

I haven't visited every sports thread, but MMA/UFC threads have a few loud voices that make it difficult to even read.

People are passionate about their sports teams, and in a thread about sports you should expect that, it's not like they're accosting people who are just walking down the road.

zedge

US is so far ahead of the rest of the world in basketball it's never in doubt unless we send second tier players. Last two Olympics it came down to Spain, which seems to not have a huge presence on GAF.

Compare to hockey, which is Canada's national sport. Relative to US and basketball, there's much more national competition in Olympic hockey, particularly from a bordering country that shares a lot of culture. And there's a significant Canadian population that frequents this board.
Technically, lacrosse is Canadas national sport. ;) In women's hockey US and Canada are equals. Games can go either way.

lol crush

Canada doesn't crush anyone in hockey. The women's tourny isn't too competitive, but the men's is, and any comparison to international ball is ludicrous.

The US has the best team right now from the games we've seen, not Canada

Umm, you're in a hockey thread with hockey fans. They're going to be passionate about the sport, and the fact that we're familiar with each other fuels the (mostly harmless) rivalry.

I have no interest in MMA so I bet the MMA thread will be incomprehensible for me, but at least I don't post in it saying how stupid all MMA fans are.

Trey

No hyperbole. Sports are just that hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom