• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 Olympic Men's Ice Hockey Tournament | Salt on an international level

Status
Not open for further replies.

calder

EXCITED.

Pity the US/Canada womens game was on exactly when I was going to work so I couldn't watch any of it.

Canada - get hype!

PREDICTIONS:

Womens:
Gold - US
Silver - Canada
Bronze - Finland

It's so tight but the US has a slight edge in talent. Canada can't keep gutting out crazy narrow wins in the gold medal game forever.

Mens:
Gold - Canada
Silver - Sweden
Bronze - Russia

Who knows, Canada could win, or they could easily lose in the quarter finals. There's 3 or 4 teams that could win gold on any given day, and there's 5 teams that could medal. I'm expecting a better result than the disasters of Torino or Nagano but honestly we could loss to the US or Russia in the semifinals and no one would be truly shocked, it's just that close.

EDIT: I put Canada winning the gold largely because I predict Sweden shocking the Russians in the semi finals. I had me one of those David Poile prophetic dream things.

calder

Oh yeah, secret convo for Canadians...

OK bitches time to rally round, yeah we all know Leafs/Habs/Sens/Jets/Flames/Oilers/Canucks fans are the absolute fucking worst but we need to put that aside and give 110%. Sure I see Tabris post and I instinctively root against whatever he's cheering for but we gotta let that go, for at least a week or two.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Women's
Gold: Canada
Silver: Finland
Bronze: USA

I believe there will be an upset at some point that gets USA out of the gold medal game

Men's
Gold: Russia
Silver: Canada
Bronze: USA

This is too tough to decide. I feel like USA, Russia, Canada, Finland and Sweden can all get in a medal match but I have no idea where they will end up.

zroid

Banned
Oh yeah, secret convo for Canadians...

OK bitches time to rally round, yeah we all know Leafs/Habs/Sens/Jets/Flames/Oilers/Canucks fans are the absolute fucking worst but we need to put that aside and give 110%. Sure I see Tabris post and I instinctively root against whatever he's cheering for but we gotta let that go, for at least a week or two.

You have my stick.

I like Jets fans

ICKE

Banned
First game is about to begin.

Sweden vs Czech Republic.

So-It-Begins.gif

dem

This iteration of team canada doesn't tickle my fancy for whatever reason..

i miss the old days

ICKE

Banned
Sweden is clearly trying to set the standard here. We all know this is a strong team, capable of winning gold. Lets see if they can keep this tempo up.

MBR

Banned
Tempo is looking good early on, if a bit wobbly.
Eh, I guess the Swedes will find each other more and more, it's already looking better.

And there's the goal, NICE

calder

Attention, commentary: you don't have to call him "Daniel Sedin" every time. He's the only Sedin on the team.

If you're watching the feed I am, give Hughy a break. He literally weeps at the thought of one of his precious Twin Princes not being there during every TV timeout.

Sweden scores first, guaranteed undefeated romp to gold.

I have a bad feeling Canada's gonna get battered this year. Hope I'm wrong.

I think everyone is somewhat concerned about scoring on the big ice.

But then, this roster does look a lot better than the one we sent to Turin. That roster was slooooooow and wasted several spots on 'character' guys (Draper, Smyth, Doan).

And look at who's expected to be scratched! The 2013 Norris and Art Ross trophy winners.

MBR

Banned
Any good streaming sites for the sweden - czech? I'm in sweden >____>
When at uni I use the ZenMate plugin (With Chrome) set to GB, and watch BBC.co.uk.
They stream everything, though I don't know about their hockey commentary...

Oj jävlar!

calder

Strader and Olczyk here

Huh, no excuses for those guys. Jim Hughson wears a Canucks sweater to all his broadcasting gigs so I thought you might be listening to him talking about Daniel. ;)

2-0. Sweden looking good, but frankly the Czechs are a second tier team at best here. I listened to the ESPN hockey podcast (yeah, I know, it's a long bus ride) talking about the Czechs getting hot (lol) and maybe sneaking into a medal (lol) if Pavelec stands on his head (LOL) but I can't see it.

This game needs more Karlsson points for my fantasy team.

ICKE

Banned
This is the reason why one should not use KHL goalies in a big tournament, it's like having good stats in the AHL and expecting them to produce something special against the biggest stars.

Perhaps I'm too harsh but those two goals were far from unstoppable.

2-0. Sweden looking good, but frankly the Czechs are a second tier team at best here. I listened to the ESPN hockey podcast (yeah, I know, it's a long bus ride) talking about the Czechs getting hot (lol) and maybe sneaking into a medal (lol) if Pavelec stands on his head (LOL) but I can't see it.

I would have given them a top-5 chance had they brought Vrbata and Hudler. It's amazing that they felt that there wasn't space on the roster for them, but for PETR NEDVED.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom