• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 Olympic Men's Ice Hockey Tournament | Salt on an international level

Status
Not open for further replies.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Strombone ‏@strombone1 5m

I don't feel so bad anymore....... pic.twitter.com/lsFF57sA4V
5BhUNrh.jpg

lollu

I can't believe it came down to TJ fucking Oshie.

He used to be my favorite college player when he was at ND, fucking owned my Badgers every time he played them, and honestly hasn't done much in the NHL since he joined the Blues.

Just a shootout stud for the US. I love it!

bluehat9

This is the best of the best. You want your best to do their best all the time.

Teams of damn professional all-stars and they're scared to take penalty shots?

Guess I should blame the rules. I just know I'd be pissed if my coach told me and the rest of the team they no longer matter, we're just going to let these one or two guys decide it because apparently we're not good enough to score one on one.

Guess I should blame the rules. I just know I'd be pissed if my coach told me and the rest of the team they no longer matter, we're just going to let these one or two guys decide it because apparently we're not good enough to score one on one.

I'd be pissed until the other guy scored infinity goals and proved my coaches point.

Samyy

Lol this isn't basketball

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

Hockey players don't typically have egos like this. They know what they're good at, it's pretty obvious who excels in shootouts and who doesn't.

CrankyJay

Banned

They didn't look too upset on the bench.

yuraya

Russia got robbed but they also fucked up so many chances in this game. I don't think either of these teams winning gold. Both look vulnerable and weak. Canada or Finland taking gold most likely.

Samyy

lol why bother having three different shooters at the start in the first place?

I don't make the rules so why ask me - this is IIHF rules, NHL is different.
But yea, NHL players don't typically care about stuff like that... you think anyone on Russia is upset Kovalchuk and Datsuyk got all the chances? They are the best at stuff like that...

or Finland taking gold most likely.

Finland don't get the forwards or defence to do that

The disallowed goal. Whatever Radulov was doing. That Kane breakaway. Oshie's sly grin. Yeah, this was some legendary shit. Russia just generated enough salt to spin the mineral markets out come Monday.

patapuf

Russia got robbed but they also fucked up so many chances in this game. I don't think either of these teams winning gold. Both look vulnerable and weak. Canada or Finland taking gold most likely.

I think this game showed that predicting the winner of this tournament is pretty much impossible.

CAN, US, RUS, FIN and SWE all look good enough to win and CZE or SUI can also upset any of those in a QF match.

pringles

Finland???? That would the most surprising gold medal in olympic history. Doubt they make it to the top 4.

Samyy

Let's decide basketball games with three point shots or free throws in OT!

Kuro pls, basketball is way less likely to go to things like double OT then a hockey game is.
Anyone who doesn't understand the need for the shootout is kidding themselves. Blame the infrastructure of how sports content is delivered.

I understand the reasoning for the shootout during an NHL regular season. I know some people don't mind ties but I'd prefer a winner/loser and I certainly don't want to stay at Verizon Center until 10:30+ on a regular basis during the regular season.

However, I don't understand the need for it during an Olympic tournament and especially during medal games. Also, the NHL changing the OT rules for the playoffs and adding the shootout would be the worst thing ever.

Samyy

I understand the reasoning for the shootout during an NHL regular season. I know some people don't mind ties but I'd prefer a winner/loser and I certainly don't want to stay at Verizon Center until 10:30+ on a regular basis during the regular season.

However, I don't understand the need for it during an Olympic tournament and especially during medal games. Also, the NHL changing the OT rules for the playoffs and adding the shootout would be the worst thing ever.

There is no shootout in the Quarters and onwards
Just for the group stages I believe

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Kuro pls, basketball is way less likely to go to things like double OT then a hockey game is.
Anyone who doesn't understand the need for the shootout is kidding themselves. Blame the infrastructure of how sports content is delivered.
Joke. But I'd still prefer a 3-3, switch benches, and the 3 point regulation and 2 point OT games...even if that wouldn't benefit the Leafs this season.

OVERTIME During the preliminary round, tied games go to a four-on-four five-minute sudden-death overtime, as in the N.H.L. In the medal round until the gold medal game, overtime is played five on five for 10 minutes. In the gold medal game, the overtime is five on five for 20 minutes. In each case, if overtime does not break the tie, the game goes to a shootout.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/12/s...key-is-the-same-except-for-this-and-that.html

yuraya

The olympics are too short to allow sudden death. Teams are basically playing back to back games. Imagine if Russia and US just went through 3 or 4 overtime periods and they have to play again tommorow lol It would leave a bunch of injured bodies and wouldn't be all that competitive. They could maybe begin the hockey much earlier in the olympics but you would need enough stadiums as there are many other sports going on ..schedules would conflict etc.

Samyy

OVERTIME During the preliminary round, tied games go to a four-on-four five-minute sudden-death overtime, as in the N.H.L. In the medal round until the gold medal game, overtime is played five on five for 10 minutes. In the gold medal game, the overtime is five on five for 20 minutes. In each case, if overtime does not break the tie, the game goes to a shootout.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/12/s...key-is-the-same-except-for-this-and-that.html

Wow what the fuck?
I don't remember it being like this in Vancouver??

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I was wrong about that:

Olympic OT is 4v4. In the Olympics, tied preliminary games have 5 minute OT. Non-gold medal tournament games have a 10 minute OT. The gold medal game features a full 20 minute OT. If the game remains tied, it is decided by a shootout. If the game remains tied after the first three shooters, any player can be chosen to shoot any number of times.

A shootout deciding a medal game is the dumbest thing

calder

It's actually more important in the Olympics. They quite often have multiple games in the same building every day, they can't have endless OTs. I think ties are perfectly fine in the group stages but they do mean standings can be screwed up badly by a couple of ties with no logical tiebreakers so I can see why they really prefer winners and losers. In the medal round they need set end times too, like the gold medal game has to end before the closing ceremonies start so you can't just have sudden death OT the whole way.

One IIHF rule I love is three points for a regulation win. NHL should steal that, but oh wait the standings won't be artificially compressed creating the illusion of parity anymore. So it'll never happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom