• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 Olympic Men's Ice Hockey Tournament | Salt on an international level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cake Boss

Banned
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

I fucking knew it, the team didnt look that good on paper when they announced it.

fallout

Is that the Golden Boy off in the background? I didn't realize we had gotten so much snow.

lol Russian coaching. Should've had Bob in from the start. Varlamov is terrible in big games.
Yeah, I don't know if it cost them the game, but I thought Bob played great against the USA (despite the loss).

pringles

KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

I fucking knew it, the team didnt look that good on paper when they announced it.
Team was good on paper, horrible on the ice.

Tarasenko was invisible. Ovechkin one of the worst players on the team. Malkin ineffective. Nicushkin was good and got rewarded with less icetime while Popov was moved up. Varlamov over Bob also turned out to be a bad decision.

Stasis

They'll just get sent to live here.

879db717-7fc0-4519-b291-f7a428703829_980x551.jpg

I've heard about that place, but thanks for the link! Awesome photos.

I experience -40 (with wind) usually at least once a Winter here in Montreal so I have a very small inkling as to what they're living but man... All Winter long, and even colder? Damn.

deleted

Hey Olympic GAF, I seek some information regarding the Icehockey games later today. Is there a realistic chance of either the USA or Canada losing?

I have no knowledge in this regard, but I know that the USA and Canada should both be the favorites of their respective game. It's for a bet among friends.

Solo

Hey Olympic GAF, I seek some information regarding the Icehockey games later today. Is there a realistic chance of either the USA or Canada losing?

I have no knowledge in this regard, but I know that the USA and Canada should both be the favorites of their respective game. It's for a bet among friends.

Canada? No. US? 90% no.

calder

Datsyuk played great. Kovalchuk was pretty good. Ovechkin was a total non-factor (like I predicted), but so was Malkin (which surprised me). Radulov had some points but also was a turn over machine and really hurt the team overall I bet.

Add some questionable roster decisions and your typical shit-tier Russian "coaching" technique and yeah in hindsight the signs were certainly all there. Reminds me of this article I read last week:

Thanks to some incredible runs of dominance in the World Championships when Canada would send an amateur team, a loss in 1972, and a famous game on New Year's Eve in Montreal in 1975 the Soviet Union and therefore Russia since its collapse has become a myth. The mythology surrounding them has been built on losses, not wins. A rivalry has been built on a one sided battle. The myth of Russian hockey has been built on teams that are seemingly always just a little short of something to give them a win in a best on best tournament. After all, they only have one and that was in 1981, 33 years ago. There best finish in a best on best event since then was in Torino, where they finished with the bronze medal.

His performance gives hope to the wings reaching the playoffs. They are gonna need him. He looked good for Russia but than again Zetterberg got a herniated disk :( So I don't know.

Good to hear that Datsyuk played good, hopefully that carries back into the regular season. I don't think he could take two failures in the same year if we miss the playoffs. But the rest of the team will need to step up with Z done for a while if not the season.

calder

I'm still devastated the internet doesn't seem to have any photos of a classic NUMMINEN SETS THE TEPPO sign from the old Winnipeg Arena.

Kak.efes

Man, did Putin attend every game for Russia? He must have really wanted that gold. Did Harper attend every game for Canada in Vancouver?

Stasis

Thought so - I won't take my chances then.

Honestly I just see no chance in hell Latvia can win unless all three Canadian goalies are injured in the first 5 mins and they play a D in that position, but even then I'd still bet Canada. Strange shit has happened but that'd be something on a whole other level of crazy.

Czech Rep. Actually have a decent team. I mean it's not at all probable, but it's not impossible either.

Sendou

Sure is good to have another high stake Finland vs. Sweden game at this tournament. Those games are always so full of emotion. Sometimes you lose some and sometimes you win but that's what makes it fun.

So my best of luck to our western neighbors!

pringles

I`m taking the Fins over the Swedes.
I don't see much reason to do that. Swedes always have a mental advantage over the Finns and Finland didn't look amazing by any means today. They'll struggle to score on Lundqvist and Sweden has a much more well-balanced offense without any Ovechkins or Semins dragging things down.
Good to hear that Datsyuk played good, hopefully that carries back into the regular season. I don't think he could take two failures in the same year if we miss the playoffs. But the rest of the team will need to step up with Z done for a while if not the season.
After the first game, I think Russia scored like 1 goal that Datsyuk wasn't involved in. And he's still clearly not 100%. Sucks for him, he was really trying to carry that team. Hope he's ready to do the same for the Wings.

Zero chemistry between Ovi and Malkin. I don't know why the coach didn't try to split them. Malkin with Kovy, Dyatsuk with Ovi. The passing all around was atrocious. Horrible horrible coaching job IMO.

Sweden-Finland: With the current lineup that Sweden has, and with so many important players gone due to injury, its going to be very hard to win against them :(

Fuck! with our full lineup non of these teams would have a chance! :)

Zero chemistry between Ovi and Malkin. I don't know why the coach didn't try to split them. Malkin with Kovy, Dyatsuk with Ovi. The passing all around was atrocious. Horrible horrible coaching job IMO.

Yea coaching was just LOL

It's not like the Russian stars were the only good players on that team. I dont see why you wouldn't try out guys like Tarasenko with Dats/Malkin.

Sendou

I really have no idea what Russia's coach was thinking with that goalkeeper choice. What a baffling decision really.

I don't think that guy is going to be continuing in that position.

Antti

It is definitely not the first, nor the last time Finland has completely dominated Russia in the tactical aspect of the game. Like often, Russia was just a group of individuals in this tournament, not a team. All of their games in this tournament left something to be desired.

Sendou

It is definitely not the first, nor the last time Finland has completely dominated Russia in the tactical aspect of the game. Like often, Russia was just a group of individuals in this tournament, not a team. All of their games in this tournament left something to be desired.

In fact the name of the game reminded me closely of the game that went down in Turin eight years ago.

Dan Rosen 
@drosennhl
Malkin had to tell Bilyaletdinov to get Bobrovsky off the ice. Malkin had to tell the coach. I repeat, Malkin had to tell the coach.

Team was good on paper, horrible on the ice.

Tarasenko was invisible. Ovechkin one of the worst players on the team. Malkin ineffective. Nicushkin was good and got rewarded with less icetime while Popov was moved up. Varlamov over Bob also turned out to be a bad decision.

Tarasenko had the least ice time of any player afaik. Not saying that he did anything to deserve more, but throwing Semin at the first line for 3 games wasn't the best of choices perhaps.

Canada bitches about Babs, but that was some truly inept coaching.

Madness

how pathetically embarrassing for Russia. At this point, it seems they'll never be the hockey powerhouse they once were.

Nah, if anything this will light some fires under asses. It's one thing to lose during another Olympics, quite another to lose on home ice, and lose to the US in the same tournament as well.

They've put so much time and money in their other sports and becoming a Winter powerhouse again they need to focus more on ice hockey now. Not necessarily stack the team with superstars with large egos, but players that play great two way hockey, don't necessarily care about the name on the back, but the one on the front. Just sucks for someone like Datsyuk to have to go out this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom