• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 Olympic Men's Ice Hockey Tournament | Salt on an international level

Status
Not open for further replies.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I think Finland are looking really inspired. They have been looking good the whole tournament (from what I've seen only the US has impressed more, though I've only seen one of Canada's games). If they beat Russia (all signs point to 'yes' right now) they will eat us (Sweden) alive in the semifinal.

sweden has a more complete team though, no?

I think Finland are looking really inspired. They have been looking good the whole tournament (from what I've seen only the US has impressed more, though I've only seen one of Canada's games). If they beat Russia (all signs point to 'yes' right now) they will eat us (Sweden) alive in the semifinal.

Watching Finland is like watching the 2003 New Jersey Devils. I hope they lose.

Parch

It's been a disappointing olympics for Finland, but a win here would help heal those wounds. They'd also be fired up to smash their good buddies Sweden too.

repeater

sweden has a more complete team though, no?
Maybe on paper. But a lot of the team has been underperforming drastically the whole tournament, especially the offense. The 5-0 result against Slovenia today e.g. did not reflect the nature of the game. With all due respect to Slovenia who performed very well in this tournament, they are a team that we should dominate completely, yet we really struggled until after 2-0 where they kind of gave up. The only really convincing performance on our part in this tournament has been the first period against Czech Republic, and that was the very first period of the tournament, so... Yeah. :/

Blader

heh, didn't occur to me that if Finland wins here, the semifinals will both be rematches of the Turin and Vancouver gold medal games.

Uncle

DJdeIm1.jpg

Madness

Will this be the biggest upset of the tournament? Unless the next two games are crazy upsets.

Finland beating Russia isn't much of an upset. They're a strong team, the impact is greater because Russia is the home team.

Even the US losing to the Czech Republic isn't much of an upset as well because the Czechs are highly ranked, even with their older team.

Canada losing to Latvia would be an upset. The Latvians are not highly ranked, the Canadians are the top team and the defending champions.

I think Slovenia beating Slovakia was kind of an upset as well, not too huge, but enough that it's pretty shocking given the supposed strength of the Slovak team.

repeater

Ovechkin is choking big time in this tournament.
Yeah, what is it with him and international tournaments? I remember him not really delivering at all in Vancouver either (although it feels like he's of even less use this time around). And it has repercussions for the rest of the team as well beyond an individual player's not playing to his normal standard: despite not being in the zone, he insists on carrying the puck all the time and shooting at even the faintest hint of an opportunity. Simply awful.

Madness

Yeah, what is it with him and international tournaments? I remember him not really delivering at all in Vancouver either (although it feels like he's of even less use this time around). And it has repercussions for the rest of the team as well beyond an individual player's not playing to his normal standard: despite not being in the zone, he insists on carrying the puck all the time and shooting at even the faintest hint of an opportunity. Simply awful.

It's one thing to be a superstar on a mediocre team and standout, quite another to be a superstar on a team full of superstars and going up against above average opponents.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

he's also usually awful in playoffs too

he isn't a big game player

Because every single Russian superstar wants to be "the guy". Not to channel Cherry, but they honestly play for the name on the back. No idea of team play. No respek.

JoseJX

That's always been his style. He's never really developed into the all around player he could be with the Capitals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom