• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015-2016 NCAA Men's Basketball |OT| 2 can play the 1-and-done game

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Can't complain of that win or 4 wins in a row. Seemed unlikely a few weeks ago, but this team has found some fight. I just don't see how they can overcome these injuries tho.

I also want it noted that I've kept my cool this season.

That's an impressive win for Duke.. they played 5 players for almost the entire game.. that's some insane crazy shit you don't see.

Unranked last week, to top 10 this week?

If they beat Louisville on Saturday, maybe.

It's a really hard ask to take 6 dudes from a tough road game on Wednesday and have them competitive in a tough road game on Saturday. But we'll see.

Pitino's teams can't shoot worth a lick though so maybe Duke will have a shot.

Duke has to go to Louisville this weekend. This was a good win, says a lot about the toughness of Duke (and says a little something about the toughness of Carolina, too), but let's not go crazy. This is going to be a struggle as long as depth is an issue.

Bowser

UNC took 62-55 lead with 11:09 left, Plumlee checked in with 4 fouls, Tar Heels scored 11 points the rest of the game.

Jesus fucking Christ.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
UNC took 62-55 lead with 11:09 left, Plumlee checked in with 4 fouls, Tar Heels scored 11 points the rest of the game.

Jesus fucking Christ.

Jokes, and supposed NCAA sanctions aside, I don't think Roy enjoys coaching that much anymore. I think he wants that one last run and then its off Shady Acres.

DominoKid

Jesus fucking Christ.

i despise Roy now. please fuck off ASAP for the sake of the program.
i've always disliked his coaching but whatever. it usually worked more often than not. but now breh can go find the nearest bush and toss himself in it.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Duke didn't sub for the last 10:32 of the game, apparently. Dat conditioning.

Duke didn't sub for the last 10:32 of the game, apparently. Dat conditioning.

The only dude to put in was Jeter, but Carolina never went at Plumlee to get the fifth. They had no perimeter players to sub in after Jones went out. Allen played all 40, I want to say Ingram did, I think I heard that Thornton went 39.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I know Domino loves the Jordan emojis so....

CbeB4j9W4AA_kCB.jpg

Karl2177

Texas Tech has to be off the bubble and pretty much in at this point. Three consecutive wins against Iowa State, at Baylor, and against Oklahoma.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
^ I want to say that photo is from halftime, due to loudness of whatever was happening.

Randolph...one of the rules of being a Duke fan is if you see a UNC fan in a sweater vest, you must mock, laugh and deride. Even your FSU side knows to make fun of any UF fan wearing jorts.

C'mon son, you hurt me.

Fjordson

Tyler Ulis for Kentucky with 40 assists and 5 turnovers in his last 4 games. Whew. But Marcus Lee out with a back injury at halftime.

Opened the door for Skal's playing time. He's got...4 points and 3 fouls...

200x200px-ZC-0069ac24_508.gif

Fjordson

Not exaggerating when I say he reminds me of a Willie Cauley-Stein type of player. As in a project that will be around for like 3 years. I think of past one-and-done big men in the Calipari era and Skal hasn't even been in the same universe. Even flawed players like Nerlens Noel were infinitely more developed and productive.

Yet somehow Skal is still in the top 15 of mock drafts and the vibe according to some media guys is that he'll still be one and done so who knows. Just crazy how overrated in he was as prospect.

iamblades

Not exaggerating when I say he reminds me of a Willie Cauley-Stein type of player. As in a project that will be around for like 3 years. I think of past one-and-done big men in the Calipari era and Skal hasn't even been in the same universe. Even flawed players like Nerlens Noel were infinitely more developed and productive.

Yet somehow Skal is still in the top 15 of mock drafts and the vibe according to some media guys is that he'll still be one and done so who knows. Just crazy how overrated in he was as prospect.

He is basically the holy grail of prospects in today's NBA game, an athletic big man who can shoot. The fact that he hasn't really learned how to play organized basketball yet doesn't really deter teams who see what he can do and how valuable those particular things are at the NBA level. The WCS comp works on mutiple levels, both are complete physical specimens that never really played basketball on a high level before college.

The flipside of this is that project bigs basically never work out for the team that drafts them, it usually takes them till their second or third stop. Do you really want to put in all those resources if more than likely it's going to be the team after you that benefits?

Some team will take him in the first round, the potential is just too high. What would scare me about him is that maybe he is one of those guys who just isn't all that into basketball and his heart isn't in it. The rebounding and lack of improvement in that area points to that. Maybe he was just pushed into basketball because of his size and his circumstances without any real desire to be good at the game.

Once you get to the late teens and twenties in the draft though, you have to take a flier on him regardless, because the chances of getting an impact player after that point gets pretty small, so it's a relatively small risk for a potential huge reward if he develops into what he has the potential to.

I've come around on Roy calling that TO. Because even if he had called one, do we really trust him to draw up a functioning play against a set defense? The only late game play he's drawn up in the last two years is "PASS THE BALL TO PAIGE". I think I'd rather roll with the kids and let them play it out.

No surprise to anyone, but Matt Jones isn't playing tomorrow.

Not so fast my friend (S/O to Lee Corso)

Adam Rowe
‏@BlueDevilLair
Duke: G Matt Jones warming up, testing injured ankle; may have chance to play at Louisville

EDIT:

Dick Vitale ‏@DickieV 5m5 minutes ago
Just met with the coaches / Matt Jones will play / can Cards contain 3 ball noon espn Duke vs… https://www.instagram.com/p/BCA-MPqArQ7/

If Richard says it, I believe. Amile and Jah to play also

Brandon Ingram's probably lost Duke this game.

He's been absolutely abysmal

EDIT: And now Allen has 4 fouls

gg Rick

Eventually Duke not having enough dudes had to catch up to them. Looks like its today

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Did K just get T'd up on purpose to give the team more rest?

I feel like we're about to see the first court rushing for a winning team ranked higher than the losers in history.

This is literally the most important game Louisville will play this year.

I'm not in the business of complaining about refs. I mean, I root for Duke, I gave up my pass to whine about officiating a looooooong time ago.

There were a few bad calls, but it doesn't change the fact that Ingram came up unbelievably small when things weren't going his way. Simmons playing passive against Oklahoma a few weeks ago was one thing. BI was actively detrimental to Duke today. You'd say they would have been better with him on the bench except for the fact that they had no one to take his place.

Top Bottom