• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015-2016 NCAA Men's Basketball |OT| 2 can play the 1-and-done game

Dragon

Banned
^^^ that's a good point, being banished to community was a heavy blow. This thread never had the activity of the bigger sports threads.

98%.

It is what it is.

I would be in here more, but my team sucks, my coach sucks, and my university just wants sports to balance the budget. Feels bad man

Who's your team?

^^^ that's a good point, being banished to community was a heavy blow. This thread never had the activity of the bigger sports threads.

98%.

It is what it is.

I would be in here more, but my team sucks, my coach sucks, and my university just wants sports to balance the budget. Feels bad man

Basically how i feel, the sport has become so boring and uninteresting to me outside of the tourney. All the one and dones are really ruining the sport for me.

Silkworm

The Illinois Fighting Illini. :(

Hey, you guys weren't so bad when you had Bruce Weber as coach, and you were good during the 2012-2013 season with Coach Groce. I'm sure you'll get back on track eventually. You guys were this close to beating Providence tonight, though a missed dunk to win the game has to hurt.

Hey, you guys weren't so bad when you had Bruce Weber as coach, especially for the 2012-2013 season. I'm sure you'll get back on track eventually. You guys were this close to beating Providence tonight, though a missed dunk to win the game has to hurt.
Weber was a disaster, ran the program into the ground. He's why we suck! Well, turns out his replacement (John Groce) isn't any better, and now more than one coach can share the blame for continued irrelevance. Alas.

Losing tonight doesn't hurt, our NIT chances remain strong.

Silkworm

Weber was a disaster, ran the program into the ground. He's why we suck! Well, turns out his replacement (John Groce) isn't any better, and now more than one coach can share the blame for continued irrelevance. Alas.

Well compared to Self, I guess Weber isn't all that great. Too bad you couldn't hold onto Self more than three seasons.

When I think of Illinois basketball I think of Lou Henson but that was a while ago (time flies). I guess those were the good days for Illinois basketball compared to now. :-\

Well compared to Self, I guess Weber isn't all that great. Too bad you couldn't hold onto Self more than three seasons.

When I think of Illinois basketball I think of Lou Henson but that was a while ago (time flies). I guess those were the good days for Illinois basketball compared to now. :-\
Henson, Lon Kruger, Bill Self. Pretty good 20 year run, I grew up with it.

Handed the keys to Weber, he had two fantastic seasons with the team Self built. Then he drove us off a cliff.

Lunar FC

New Mexico?

Yeah. After a rather terrible season last year my expectations weren't very high. But we have looked solid on both sides of the ball in our three games thus far. Top 10 back court in the country in my opinion.

edit: Just got news that a player of ours who went down with strange neck injury and had to be stretchered off last game career seems to be done. Really tough news.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

When I think of Illinois basketball I think of Lou Henson but that was a while ago (time flies). I guess those were the good days for Illinois basketball compared to now. :-

Weber is not great compared to anyone. The man is borderline retarded.

He ran Illinois into the ground and is now doing the same thing at KSU with what Martin had built there.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
SR1QVcCz.jpg

114123-612x612-1.jpg

Silkworm

Hoosiers looked good tonight. Wonder if this could be a good year for Indiana. Still way early for me to feel confident.

Also glad to see Vandy avoid an upset at home to Stony Brook. I'd like the SEC to look halfway respectable this year -- meaning teams besides UK doing well, as UK is UK and they'll always do well :-D

Duke looks raggedy

Kennard having that Matt Jones Freshman Year experience (I.E. big time high school shooter, who looks like he's never seen a basketball before when he plays in college games)

SCChappy

Banned
Great win, but it sucks so much that like 80% of the students here (UT Arlington) don't give a shit about our basketball team.

NewLib

Banned
Maryland has looked completely unimpressive. I just don't see them being better than Michigan State this year in the Big 10.

Who knew the cure to all that ailed Scrappy was not playing Kentucky?

Team's still a work in progress. Like how they toughened up down the stretch though.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Hell of a comebak game by GA, and its not like he went right back to the shit he did before and during the UK game. Its just great to have that player that gets his shit fucked up one night, and comes back the next game fired up.

Ingram tho...dem FTs is rough. He and Kennard have to improve.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
In not mad that we lost to Xavier. But I am mad that we lost to Xavier like that. Mark Donnal better not start against UConn. It's time to end that experiment. He is 100% useless.

Not since Craft hung it up after playing 20 years sadly.

Grandstaff will be that person. He's just a year away.

Bowser

smh...of course we always get bit in the ass for these homecoming games. Get well soon Paige, this team is fringe top 25 without you.

iamblades

Kentucky will be #1 again Monday. yawn

Should have been from the start(or MD or Duke or Kansas even), this is the same UNC team that lost 12 games last year, starting #1 never made any sense to me.

Granted UK didn't really deserve #1 coming into the season with all that we lost, but that's part of the stupidity of pre-season polls, and I understand that more than putting a middling team from a year ago at #1 because they have experience returning and should be better.

UNC should be a solid top 10 team when Paige comes back, and they have a decent shot at the title, but the #1 preseason ranking is a bit of an overestimate IMO.

Silkworm

Gators face off against Purdue today. Should be a fun game. Both teams definitely have different styles of playing so it should be interesting to see which team imposes their style of play on this game. This will definitely be the biggest test of the year so far for the Gators and they'll be facing their first team that has lots of size, which Purdue has in spades. Anyway, I was pleased to watch the Gators come together late against St. Joe's yesterday to get the win. Finney-Smith played a big role in that. Hopefully they'll start out strong against Purdue and not fall too far behind early (and avoid getting into foul trouble). Go Gators! :)

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Eamonn Brennan
‏@eamonnbrennan
Someone in the crowd just taunted Grayson Allen with "You look like Ted Cruz!" Harsh.

Again, admittedly didn't watch much of it, but this would be a really nice win if Duke pulls it out.

G'Town's probably fringe top 25.

I know they didn't really look like it for large stretches in this game, but I think K's on to something with this zone. This may be the longest Duke team ever, especially if he plays Jeter, Ingram, and Jefferson together. He can definitely use all that length in a 2-3 or 1-3-1 look

DominoKid

whew Brandon Ingram gonna fuck around and have to stay another year. that boy been some shit against the 3 real opponents yall played. Kennard too.

Grayson lookin like the truth tho Kentucky game aside.

UCF got their first win last night after two tough losses. Finally there appears to be some depth there and more skill players in the paint and around the perimeter.

Still a long way to go, but I'd like to think UCF won't look like the dumpster fire of a team they have been since basically the middle of the 2011 season. Once we get our main PG back, I would hope we can be ready to go for conference play and at least compete in the AAC.

Fjordson

whew Brandon Ingram gonna fuck around and have to stay another year. that boy been some shit against the 3 real opponents yall played. Kennard too.

Grayson lookin like the truth tho Kentucky game aside.
Yeah Ingram doesn't look goodl. Thought he would be great quickly, even if just because of his physical tools (6-9, 7-2 wingspan, etc.).

Not as shocked about Kennard. 6-5 white shooting guard, gonna need some time to acclimate to the college game.

that sounded kinda racist, but you know it's true

Ingram's just got to bulk up.

He could outskill and outheight everyone in high school. He's not used to being challenged by dudes that are tall, athletic and strong like they are at the college level.

Kennard will be fine, he's just not making shots. Matt Jones went a whole year before he ever started shooting as well in college games as he did in high school.

DominoKid

if it's just bulking up then Ingram's in for a long year because that's something you do in the offseason. he's really going to struggle in ACC play.

personally though i think he just isn't as good as advertised. he's got a good 3-5 years before he'll really have good control over his length. even his HS highlights didn't really pass the eye test for me because he looks so awkward and his handle is nothing to write home about right now. and while we were recruiting him i thought he should be a 2 or 3 year player anywhere he went. obviously he gonna run ASAP under the current draft climate though. any KD comparisons were really just doing him a disservice.

inm8num2

AP Top 25

1. Kentucky (59)
2. Maryland (6)
3. Michigan St.
4. Iowa St.
5. Kansas
6. Duke
7. Oklahoma
8. Villanova
9. North Carolina
10. Gonzaga