• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NBA Finals |OT| the deli is closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siegcram

warriors in 6 prediction seems to be on point

Finals MVP should be interesting, but most likely won't be due to the NBA's risk aversion.

Would love to see him completely shut down in gm6 then see what he has to say.

Did kobe or mj ever call themselves the greatest like that?

Entirely irrelevant. His team losing would not revise statistics proving his claim. You're taking what he said at face value and not in context to the answer gave in response to the question that was asked.

Dude is secure in his ability that he does not need concern himself with the outcome of his efforts. He has repeated this in almost every post conference this series. He knows he is exerting more effort and more individual results than he ever has and that is what is ultimately in his control. If the dude is going to lose the series, he will do so knowing he did the very best he could. Simple. That's what this is about.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Entirely irrelevant. His team losing would not revise statistics proving his claim. You're taking what he said at face value and not in context to the answer gave in response to the question that was asked.

Dude is secure in his ability that he does not need concern himself with the outcome of his efforts. He has repeated this in almost every post conference this series. He knows he is exerting more effort and more individual results than he ever has and that is what is ultimately in his control. If the dude is going to lose the series, he will do so knowing he did the very best he could. Simple. That's what this is about.

Every time Lebron says shit like that it sounds to me like he's trying to convince himself more than anyone else lol. I mean why even say it if you really think you're the best. He always comes across as a dude trying too hard to be a badass.

Every time Lebron says shit like that it sounds to me like he's trying to convince himself more than anyone else lol. I mean why even say it if you really think you're the best. He always comes across as a dude trying too hard to be a badass.

It wasn't unsolicited. He was asked a question.

It is freaking weird that some of you were raised to think that holding yourself up on a pedestal is a bad thing. Wow. There is nothing inherently wrong with saying you're the best at something when you know you are.

otapnam

Lol.

This shit writes itself.

I only brought those 2 up because of lebrons statement.

No doubt hes the greatest player playing and has performed at a ridiculous level.

Now really, who actually talks like that at a press conference ?

Trey

I don't see a game 7. Warriors finish up in Cleveland. I should've stuck with my original prediction.

I don't know why anyone would switch from a Warriors in 6 or 7 prediction. Curry was extremely off and Cleveland was only barely winning their games.

Spinluck

Whatever happened to lebron making his team better

My god why are you all so fucking dense? Lol.

Come on man. This shit team is astronomically better because of Lebron. Do you see how they play without him on the floor? Zero offense and defense.

Curry can at least sit back and rest and not have to worry about his team completely shitting the bed while he's out.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I bet Lebron wishes he never got Jones, Marion and Mike Miller to sign with the cavs. He could've used some live bodies right now.

fritolay

Well...he is..?

Yeah I don't see the problem. I have a problem with the question more than anything. Best player in the world who is a 2x champion, who has also been the best player in this series by far and you ask him about his confidence level.

Its almost like the reporter was fishing for an answer like that.

What is he suppose to say when asked a stupid ass question?

There's nothing wrong with that answer.

How about "I'm looking forward to heading back to our home court and evening the series" or something about the team.

You are right, ask about confidence after a loss and state you are best in world it's simple truly is a good answer if you think players should be cocky and all about themselves. This is one reason why LeBron doesn't get as much respect as he should compared to other NBA greats and other sport star athletes. He's awesome, but that doesn't mean as many people like him as you would expect for his playing greatness.

Trey

The LeBron second guessing has long been played out. Don't even interact with people who continually question his impact in this series. They're either disingenuous, or out of their depth in the conversation.

Same goes for people who dick ride too aggressively. It's kind of hilarious how much hyperbole can be generated for a player who is unquestionably the best player in the league.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Why the hell would LeBron even want the MVP of a losing team. "I'm the most valuable player on a loser." I don't know why people are even talking about it.

I remember when Dirk won MVP on that great Mavs team. They handed him the trophy after they lost to a #8 seed in the first round. He looked embarrassed to take it, like he was gonna throw it in the trash as soon as he got home.

fritolay

The LeBron second guessing has long been played out. Don't even interact with people who continually question his impact in this series. They're either disingenuous, or out of their depth in the conversation.

Same goes for people who dick ride too aggressively. It's kind of hilarious how much hyperbole can be generated for a player who is unquestionably the best player in the league.

You ever have that guy that was good on your team, and everyone knows it, but when in the spotlight is a c**k and full of himself? Work, sports, anything, well it gets old. It's not second guessing, he just keeps them from ever guessing again cause his attitude never changed.

Why would anyone be an MVP on a losing team? Doesn't make sense.

If you da MVP, then your team has to win it all.

If this series went 7 games and if Curry and Igu basically split on Gooden State, I could see LeBron getting the MVP. He's their only option and is keeping them in this.

Spinluck

I think LBJ would take the MVP trophy and give it to the city. At least they'llthey'll have something.

Yeah, I used to wonder why Eff bothered, but it's hard not to point out the "lolwut?" post.

rambis

Banned
I don't have a problem with Lebron's answer because it's true

Some of you guys need to get off the internet
Exactly. People are trying way too hard here to grasp at the straws of an interviewer who was obviously trying to bait him into some kind of response.
How about "I'm looking forward to heading back to our home court and evening the series" or something about the team.

You are right, ask about confidence after a loss and state you are best in world it's simple truly is a good answer if you think players should be cocky and all about themselves. This is one reason why LeBron doesn't get as much respect as he should compared to other NBA greats and other sport star athletes. He's awesome, but that doesn't mean as many people like him as you would expect for his playing greatness.
Did you even hear the question?

BumRush

For everyone saying Lebron has MVP on lock...how can you give the NBA Finals Most Valuable Player to a player who loses the NBA Finals. Sure he's been insane, but if they do in fact lose it just doesn't make sense (to me) that he win.

Not sure LeBron has even been better than Curry in the series after Game 5.

LeBron is putting up volume scoring and system assists. He hasn't been making particularly outstanding passes, and his assists aren't magically pulling points out of hopeless-looking possessions like what Nash would do. He's just holding the ball so much that he puts up volume assists over the course of the game.

Redd

For everyone saying Lebron has MVP on lock...how can you give the NBA Finals Most Valuable Player to a player who loses the NBA Finals. Sure he's been insane, but if they do in fact lose it just doesn't make sense (to me) that he win.

It's happened before. That's not insane. MVP is Most Valuable Player. Not most valuable player only if your team wins. Winning just increases your chance of winning it greatly.

It's happened before, 40 years ago. To me the conditions have to be 3 things. 1) It has to be a fairly close fought series. 2) the guy on the losing team has to be putting up astronomical numbers. 3) nobody from the winning team is stepping up in a similar fashion. I mean the Warriors best player, Steph Curry, has played poorly (for his standards) in 3 of the 5 games so far. Is that MVP-worthy?

offtopic

He measures in centimeters

LeBron is putting up volume scoring and system assists. He hasn't been making particularly outstanding passes, and his assists aren't magically pulling points out of hopeless-looking possessions like what Nash would do. He's just holding the ball so much that he puts up volume assists over the course of the game.

This.

They need to somehow normalize his stats by usage rate. The fact is that the warriors are going without any rim protection and aren't double teaming him lets him have big stats. Hell, Curry gets doubled far more frequently than LeBron.

rambis

Banned

LOL what? Am I living in an alternate universe where James was the one being questioned of being shut down by an undrafted 3rd stringer this series?

Curry has bounced back but he hasnt even been the best player on his team this series.

Also wtf at system assists. Lebron is ISOing more than most any player in finals history. Which is saying something. Cavs don't even run an offense FFS. Do people just throw shit at the wall to see what sticks?

This.

They need to somehow normalize his stats by usage rate. The fact is that the warriors are going without any rim protection and aren't double teaming him lets him have big stats. Hell, Curry gets doubled far more frequently than LeBron.

They started double teaming in game 4. And did constantly in game 5. His usage rate took almost a 10 percentage point dive after. What are you on about?

http://fat.gfycat.com/PointedActiveIndigowingedparrot.webm
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....e-and-the-art-of-double-teaming-lebron-james/

diffusionx

Gold Member
It's happened before, 40 years ago. To me the conditions have to be 3 things. 1) It has to be a fairly close fought series. 2) the guy on the losing team has to be putting up astronomical numbers. 3) nobody from the winning team is stepping up in a similar fashion. I mean the Warriors best player, Steph Curry, has played poorly (for his standards) in 3 of the 5 games so far. Is that MVP-worthy?

Do you seriously think Igoudala hasn't stepped up?

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
There's an Internet forum argument to be made for Lebron for MVP, sure. I can buy it because I'm a big Lebron fan but even I feel it's about 50 50 with him and Curry right now.

But if you think there's a chance the league is going to deny a rising superstar a Finals MVP at the end of a season like the one he's had because of one bad shooting night...

Idk. Don't see it as any sort of realistic possibility. Obviously excluding a Cavs series win.

Do you seriously think Igoudala hasn't stepped up?

He's had great spurts and moments when the Dubs needed it but has he been consistently the best player in the series? Even close?

There's an Internet forum argument to be made for Lebron for MVP, sure. I can buy it because I'm a big Lebron fan but even I feel it's about 50 50 with him and Curry right now.

But if you think there's a chance the league is going to deny a rising superstar a Finals MVP at the end of a season like the one he's had because of one bad shooting night...

Idk. Don't see it as any sort of realistic possibility. Obviously excluding a Cavs series win.

The award is voted on by the media. And if anything having LeBron win MVP while his team goes down in flames gives the media more of a story to keep talking about all summer. It's a great narrative for the likes of Skip Bayless and SAS, ect...

The Finals MVP, like the regular season MVP, is very narrative driven for this reason. I could absolutely see if LeBron has another 40 point/Triple Double type game in games 6 or 7 (if it goes that far) them giving him the award, short of Steph Curry having himself a couple of 40 point games. It's very much in them (the media) to do something like that for the story.

Iggy isn't a rising star tho.

If the Finals MVP must go to the winner, it'll go to him deservedly.

Curry has been a scoring machine, but it's Iggy's defensive stops and key plays that has helped the Warriors win those 3 games and help keep those 2 losses close.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
Also XFD @ Lebron's "system assists".

What? Are you watching this series? I mean that is the exact opposite of what's happening.

People expect the NBA to re-establish the precedent that was made when the very first Finals MVP was given out.

40 years ago.

In other words its not happening, if Curry has another game like last night he will get it, if not, then Iggy.

diffusionx

Gold Member
He's had great spurts and moments when the Dubs needed it but has he been consistently the best player in the series? Even close?

But MVP isn't the best player. It's the most valuable. I seriously question the idea that the most valuable player on a losing team is something that matters. If the Cavs lose, somebody will ask James how he feels about putting up those numbers in a losing effort, and he will say it doesn't matter because they lost.

If the Warriors win game 6 and Curry puts up numbers like he did yesterday (which nobody is talking about, even though he scored 37 on 23 shots), he will win the MVP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom