• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NBA PLAYOFFS |OT| One man's Smith.. Is another man's treasure.

Chichikov

pisYeIX.jpg

The faces on the fans...

It's certainly possible but I don't think its very probable. Not yet anyway.

Cavs in 5. Six at the very most.

5 games? :lol There is no way the Cavs are going to cruise through the Bulls. The Cavs aren't a very good defensive team and they aren't as experienced as the Bulls. How are they going to stop Rose and Butler? I would be scared of Rose, he looks like he is on a mission this year.

Fjordson

Didn't Steph have a four point play at the end of regulation? I've seen the replay half a dozen times now and it looks like he gets hammered.

random25

5 games? :lol There is no way the Cavs are going to cruise through the Bulls. The Cavs aren't a very good defensive team and they aren't as experienced as the Bulls. How are they going to stop Rose and Butler? I would be scared of Rose, he looks like he is on a mission this year.

Put James on Rose. He did it before, and he can do it again.

I don't see the Cavs cruising, but I'll give them the edge over the Bulls in the 2nd round. The Bulls are more experienced as a team, but this team is not as good as the Bulls of previous years too.

overcast

Steph Curry did go 10-29, so he had a bad shooting night. Hit a big shot though, so props.
I don't see the Cavs cruising, but I'll give them the edge over the Bulls in the 2nd round. The Bulls are more experienced as a team, but this team is not as good as the Bulls of previous years too.
Hmm. I would argue this Bulls team with everybody healthy is the best they've been in a bit. Rose, Butler, Noah, Gasol, Gibson, Brooks, Mirotic. Pretty deep.

Steph Curry did go 10-29, so he had a bad shooting night. Hit a big shot though, so props.

Hmm. I would argue this Bulls team with everybody healthy is the best they've been in a bit. Rose, Butler, Noah, Gasol, Gibson, Brooks, Mirotic. Pretty deep.

Talent-wise, this is the best the Bulls have been since the Jordan era.

I don't know how people think they were better in the recent past.

Boozer(didn't hate him), Bogans(didn't hate him) are not better than what they have now.

Plus, it's very arguable that Jimmy Butler is better than Deng was.

Both great man to man defenders but Jimmy's way more athletic and more of a playmaker than Deng ever will be.

Fjordson

I don't think Lebron has it in him to guard D-Rose full time anymore. He's older and has gotten worse on D.

D-Rose may be frail, but when he's healthy he's still quick as hell. Or at least it seems like he is watching these last few Bulls game.

I don't think Lebron has it in him to guard D-Rose full time anymore. He's older and has gotten worse on D.

D-Rose may be frail, but when he's healthy he's still quick as hell. Or at least it seems like he is watching these last few Bulls game.

He's as fast as he's ever been, he just loses his wind a lot quicker.

random25

They are pretty deep right now, no doubt about it. But the team when Rose was MVP and the team a year after were much better and was also deep. Rose, Deng, Noah, Asik, Gibson, Korver, Boozer and some pretty decent veterans. And Mirotic right now is still injured so that's a decent loss to their depth right now if he's not yet ready to play.

He can't guard D-Rose from the start.

They put him on him at the end of the game.

No way LeBron can stay in front of a fresh Derrick Rose.

I'm sure James won't be 100% guarding Rose the whole game. But we'll see him cover Rose for the majority since he's very familiar with the match-up from their previous playoff games. He can't stop Rose especially since Rose is an explosive scorer, but he can contain Rose and force him to take difficult shot selections.

They are pretty deep right now, no doubt about it. But the team when Rose was MVP and the team a year after were much better and was also deep. Rose, Deng, Noah, Asik, Gibson, Korver, Boozer and some pretty decent veterans. And Mirotic right now is still injured so that's a decent loss to their depth right now if he's not yet ready to play.

Butler > Deng(and Luol was my favorite player on those teams probably)

Any offense > Asik(and I wanted the Bulls to keep that one dimensional wall but NOT at the expense of Taj)

Korver=Dunleavy(Korver is having the better year but they both are very good threepoint shooters and Dunleavy is better on D and more versatile)

Gasol >>>>>> Boozer(I liked Boozer but Gasol is way better on defense and better on offense)

The Bulls may have had the better records back then but this Bulls team is easily more potent than those.

By the way, I don't see LeBron guarding Rose the majority of the game, just on and off.

Put James on Rose. He did it before, and he can do it again.

Yep, this. Bulls need to worry about Kyrie going off. Love has been very good these past 3 games too, and if JR is on, then there's not much they can do.

One of the things I was wondering during that GS game in the 4th quarter was where the hell Asik went. Did he get hurt or foul out or something?

AD was getting abused by Bogurt on D and held a lot of times which neutralized AD from helping out someone. I know GS went small but Bogurt was still out there and the Pelicans were getting killed on the boards. It didn't make any sense to me keeping Asik on the bench during that stretch.

edit: The lineup for having Anderson at the 4 and AD at the 5 gives you a boost offensively, but it's horrible for D and rebounding.

random25

Butler > Deng(and Luol was my favorite player on those teams probably)

Any offense > Asik(and I wanted the Bulls to keep that one dimensional wall but NOT at the expense of Taj)

Korver=Dunleavy(Korver is having the better year but they both are very good threepoint shooters and Dunleavy is better on D and more versatile)

Gasol >>>>>> Boozer(I liked Boozer but Gasol is way better on defense and better on offense)

The Bulls may have had the better records back then but this Bulls team is easily more potent than those.

By the way, I don't see LeBron guarding Rose the majority of the game, just on and off.

Deng > Butler. Arguable both ways, but I've seen Deng score and defend in the playoffs more, so I maybe biased in favor of him.

Asik is more of Noah's backup, and Taj is Boozer's backup. It's really Boozer who takes time off of Taj. They should've dumped Boozer and make Taj their full time starter a long time ago.

I just don't like Dunleavy. But I admit he plays pretty well for Thibs. Korver just didn't get that much chance on offense for the Bulls.

I agree that Gasol is tons better than Boozer.

And Noah from before > Current Noah.

I think that the current team is the better offensive team in that they aren't too dependent on Rose for the buckets. But the former team is an elite defensive team, even with the weak link Boozer. And that's why I put that version of the Bulls team above the current one.

They put Lebron on Rose because the Bulls teams in the past didn't have a second shot creator. Butler and Gasol can both do this. If you switch Lebron on Rose, Butler will be guarded by Kyrie. And Jimmy would school Kyrie in the paint every single time. Same with Gasol, pick &roll, pick & pop, just throw it to him in the paint. The guy is not afraid like Boozer was. Of course it kinda depends on Thibs too. If he runs Iso plays in crunch time every possession that might be our death kiss.

I predict a tight series with the Bulls winning it in 7.

Tom Penny

I think the Bulls could beat the Cavs and they matchup pretty well. The problem is they have stretches were they look like they never played basketball even though there is lots of talent on the court and those stretches can be the difference in a series. If Evan Turnover can get shots off on Kyrie and JR I'm sure Rose and Butler can. I'm interested to see if Gasoft can do work in the paint. The X factor will certainly be if Butler gets the quick whistle on Lebron. They cannot win if he doesn't play near 40 minutes a game.

I think the Bulls could beat the Cavs and they matchup pretty well. The problem is they have stretches were they look like they never played basketball even though there is lots of talent on the court and those stretches can be the difference in a series. If Evan Turnover can get shots off on Kyrie and JR I'm sure Rose and Butler can. I'm interested to see if Gasoft can do work in the paint. The X factor will certainly be if Butler gets the quick whistle on Lebron. They cannot win if he doesn't play near 40 minutes a game.

Having not watched the Bulls this season outside of when they played my crappy heat team, how are they defensively? Thibs's previous Bulls teams were pretty strong on the defensive end and I'd like to see what the Cavs are like against a team playing playoff defense

Having not watched the Bulls this season outside of when they played my crappy heat team, how are they defensively? Thibs's previous Bulls teams were pretty strong on the defensive end and I'd like to see what the Cavs are like against a team playing playoff defense

We're still a very good defense, but there are stretches where we look lost out there, and Gasol is one of the worst defensive bigs I've seen in a long time.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Yes prior Bulls teams were deeper but they were thin as hell when it came to actual playmakers.

That is the biggest difference this year is that every player in the starting 5 can pass the ball under pressure. Besides passing Butler, Gasol. and Drose are great one on one players.

Then you have Brooks and Mirotic off the bench that also move the ball and break down the defense. That was the Achilles heel of the Bulls in years past, once you shut down Rose no one else could handle the ball besides Hinrich, and CJ Watson :/ Ben Gordon was great during Rose's rookie year but he left.

Todays games. Some of us with no NBATV... We eatin.. as everything is on ESPN

G 3: At Dallas, Friday April 24, ESPN, 7 p.m.
G 3: At Washington, Friday April 24, ESPN, 8 p.m.
G 3: At San Antonio, Friday April 24, ESPN, 9:30 p.m.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Reggie was great but he depended a lot on getting the ball coming off screens. Curry does not much to get his shot off and he can handle the ball with the best of them. Scary player :O

Fjordson

Reggie was great but he depended a lot on getting the ball coming off screens. Curry does not much to get his shot off and he can handle the ball with the best of them. Scary player :O
Exactly. The variety of ways he can get his shot off puts him ahead of most. He's also on pace to break all the career records for 3's and already has the two best single seasons for 3's made in NBA history.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Didn't Steph have a four point play at the end of regulation? I've seen the replay half a dozen times now and it looks like he gets hammered.

The refs, rightfully so, would never call that on the final play of the game on a made shot, especially since he got the shot off clean. They MIGHT have called it if he missed it.

I understand that it's hard to call fouls on a game tying shot or winner but that's as blatant of a foul as it gets.

So if someone like football tackled another player, as long as the ball goes in it shouldn't be a foul. That's what's ridiculous about shit like this.

Trey

I understand that it's hard to call fouls on a game tying shot or winner but that's as blatant of a foul as it gets.

So if someone like football tackled another player, as long as the ball goes in it shouldn't be a foul. That's what's ridiculous about shit like this.

Chil' please. It's playoff crunch time basketball. Refs didn't call that and-one just like they didn't call Speights for walking right before he passed the ball to Curry. Refs let them play and it was the right choice.

RELAYER

Banned
Chil' please. It's playoff crunch time basketball. Refs didn't call that and-one just like they didn't call Speights for walking right before he passed the ball to Curry. Refs let them play and it was the right choice.

Is it a foul or not?

Fjordson

full
not sure if I'm down with the idea of selective foul calls. Especially when they're so clear.

I'm gonna go with the ref just missed it.

Trey

Is it a foul or not?

Probably. Curry likes to rotate his body into the contact after he releases the ball so certain refs might take that into account, but out of context, yeah I'd call that a foul. Just like I'd call Speights for travelling out of context.

But we have context.

full
not sure if I'm down with the idea of selective foul calls. Especially when they're so clear.

You implicitly have to be down with selective foul calls if you want an NBA game to not last four hours and have the starters on the bench fouled out.

Fjordson

You implicitly have to be down with selective foul calls if you want an NBA game to not last four hours and have the starters on the bench fouled out.
Sure, but when they're that clear and that important I feel like that's extra incentive to call it.

Trey

Sure, but when they're that clear and that important I feel like that's extra incentive to call it.

The incentive is a good game that gives players the chance to exert maximum influence over the game on their terms. Basketball is not a pure sport so context matters, and Curry got his shot off unmolested before turning his body to absorb inevitable contact from a crunch time hard close out.

It's also easier to swallow because Speights' traveled right before the shot, which nulls the entire situation right there. As a result we got a clean, clutch shot from one of the greatest shooters in NBA history. Everybody wins. Refs did the right thing.

Top Bottom