• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NCAA Tournament March Madness |OT| 67 Teams Vie For Second Place

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grant lost them this game.

They went completely away from how they normally play offense and starting going full ISO and that's just not going to work against the size Kentucky has.

If Dekker still has some juju magic left, Sconi could beat them. I just think this game will have the effect of waking UK up and now they're going to roll through people again.

Cloudy

Banned
I don't understand why in that situation the don't foul earlier on the floor. Could have fouled the worst foul shooter and had a one-and-one situation and save time on the clock.

Game was tied. You can't foul there lol

Grant steps back way too much. Why not try for a 2 instead of making the shot harder?

iamblades

Most competitive but I dunno about the best

Yeah pace was way too low to call it the best.

Was high level of execution though, and it wasn't a sloppy foul fest mostly.

ND did what you need to do to beat this team, but as I said earlier today, they simply did not have anyone who could defend Towns.

spyder_ur

I don't understand why in that situation the don't foul earlier on the floor. Could have fouled the worst foul shooter and had a one-and-one situation and save time on the clock.

What? You mean on the last possession? I can't even tell what team you're suggesting do this, but putting someone on the line to either go ahead or tie the game would be idiotic.

Zalasta

Oh well, at least it was a close game and not a blow out, but it's a shame that Grant's last 3 shots (all 3 pointers I believe) were really poor.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
So, haven't watched much college bball this year (or the last few for that matter). Used to be a huge fan but the quality has just declined so far relative to the NBA that I've had a hard time watching the brutal level of play.

Tuned in to see this Kentucky juggernaut...just no. Overall level of play very low (by both teams). Kentucky players just not that good...see 3-4 NBA role players maybe?

RoKKeR

They went completely away from how they normally play offense and starting going full ISO and that's just not going to work against the size Kentucky has.

If Dekker still has some juju magic left, Sconi could beat them. I just think this game will have the effect of waking UK up and now they're going to roll through people again.

Yep. Terrible stuff, pretty disappointing after how well they played.

Jarate

Banned
Wiscy vs Kentucky will be so fucking good

If I was in that locker room I'd be pissed at grant, dude literally lost them the game by trying to play hero ball

Jarate

Banned
So, haven't watched much college bball this year (or the last few for that matter). Used to be a huge fan but the quality has just declined so far relative to the NBA that I've had a hard time watching the brutal level of play.

Tuned in to see this Kentucky juggernaut...just no. Overall level of play very low (by both teams). Kentucky players just not that good...see 3-4 NBA role players maybe?
Lol

bachikarn

That's cause they wasted their last time out when there was a good shot they would get the ball back.

I wasn't really talking about the last play. The last couple of possessions was just one guard dribbling it for the majority of the shot clock and hoisting up a shot. It's not like they were up much to be wasting clock. They were beating KY by great ball movement, but decided to just go ISO.

El_Chino

This Kentucky team reminds me of FSU football this past season. So close to losing many times but always find a way to claw back at the last second.

Notre Dame looked like they were good for this win. Come on Wisconsin!

jmizzal

This wasnt the best UK game but only 1 NBA star on that team and its Towns, but having 3-4 role players on one college team is why they are really good

eznark

Banned
We're all Badger fans now.

B5UCKIDCYAA0Z_G.jpg:large

uhh, you're insinuating that the decline in the level of play is because of a lack of NBA talent? And that the lack of NBA talent is evident on Kentucky?

Cloudy

Banned
I see this A LOT in basketball.
Hero ball and highlight ball.

The point of a stepback should be to evade the defense for an easier shot. Grant seems to like taking difficult shots but he isn't nearly as good as he thinks he is. On that last shot, stepping back for the winner instead of the long 2 caused him to have to adjust mid-shot

spyder_ur

Game was tied. You can't foul there lol

Grant steps back way too much. Why not try for a 2 instead of making the shot harder?

Yeah, he had two near 7 footers closing on him though. At least he got a makeable shot up. Not having a TO killed them there.

He did hit the biggest shot of the game for ND after that Harrison 3.

Kentucky was plenty awake. They played a close game against a really good team that is very hot right now. You're not gonna win every game by 40. Wisconsin could certainly challenge them. Kinda similar to ND in a lot of ways - deliberate tempo, efficient offense, limited athletically, lots of shooters.

You think Karl Anthony-Towns looks like a role player?

Fjordson

I may throw up. So happy to win. GG Notre Dame-GAF. We got a little lucky to be honest. Hell of a team you got.

Wisconsin will literally steal our souls if we play like this next weekend, but whatever. Happy to get the win right now.

Huh? You didn't see Towns get 25...? Didn't miss a shot in the second half.

Towns and Lyles will be very good pros, with Towns going 1 or 2 in the draft. Willie Cauley-Stein and Booker will also be lottery picks, but will have to see how they succeed at the next level.

And UK isn't a juggernaut at this point. All the teams left are good and will give Kentucky a good game with a good chance to win. But there are good future pros on this team for sure.

As for tomorrow's games, I think MSU will be able to make more buckets to win a low-scoring defensive battle with Louisville.

And as a Duke fan, I feel strangely very confident about playing Gonzaga. Utah scared me more.

I think that's going to be a very open, high-paced, cleanly played game and Duke tends to play at their best in those.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Feel gutted for ND.. they controlled almost that entire game.. but the foul trouble on Auguste just killed them down the stretch.. he couldn't play tough on Towns.. and Towns just was getting easy shots down low. Just not the depth on the bench for them to compete for the full game.

That said.. some big shots by both teams down the stretch. Anyone who says Kentucky didn't have tough games this year didn't watch the Ole Miss and A&M games.. they deserved to lose both of those too.. but somehow pulled a miracle out of their ass.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
This wasnt the best UK game but only 1 NBA star on that team and its Towns, but having 3-4 role players on one college team is why they are really good

Towns looks like he could be an average big man at the NBA level. He certainly won't be able to just back his way to the rim against smaller defenders without getting instantly doubled (was ND coach stupid? he should have just doubled every time). 2-3 others at end of bench maybe. I dunno...college teams in the past have had legit stars and a couple other really good players.

That was just...unimpressive (edited from "bad").

Cloudy

Banned
Wiscy vs Kentucky will be so fucking good

If I was in that locker room I'd be pissed at grant, dude literally lost them the game by trying to play hero ball

They kept giving it to him though. Auguste was destroying Kentucky, they should have looked for him inside as soon as he came back in

I'm sorry, ND is pretty good but not a great team. IdC if Kentucky goes 40-0. This team isn't in the top 5 best of all time. They look very very ordinary a lot of this game.

Zigzz14

Great game Kentucky, you guys are a hell of a team. Hated our last two offensive possessions.

Cal is the scum of the earth, literally might be one of the worst people on the planet. Classless as always, even in a postgame interview. Scary that the kids he coaches are classier then him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom