• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NCAA Tournament March Madness |OT| 67 Teams Vie For Second Place

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloudy

Banned
I think some people like the grindy play style and they love the fantasy of the amateur athlete and somehow that translates into them thinking it is good basketball. D league teams would beat Kentucky 9 out of 10 times if they played. First division euro squads would laugh and wipe the floor with them. It is bad basketball.

The big thing is the poor overall guardplay. So few players can get their shot off without screens and the zone actually works on most teams lol.

I really don't get how UK is undefeated with no guards that would be superstars in the NBA someday. Even the worst NBA teams have multiple guards better than the Harrison twins

spyder_ur

Big Al may be a plodder, but he's got post moves for days. Okafor gets lit up defensively by college scrubs, elite 4/5 men in the NBA are going to abuse him.

There aren't that many elite big men in the NBA, to be honest. Who in the NBA is going to kill him in the post? Plus he can improve defensively.

Guys with that size and post game come along very, very rarely. He is probably the most polished post player coming out of college since maybe Duncan? I can't think of anyone else right now.

Jarate

Banned
College teams would play a lot better if they changed the rules. Stop letting defenders keep their hands all over the offensive players. Give it a 24 second shot clock so teams can't just dribble up top for 12 seconds before they start the offense and kill any flow for both teams. Make the 3 point line NBA range so all these guys who can't actually play don't get hot one night and hit 100 3s and win a game they shouldn't. Call games more consistently from an officiating standpoint.

Part of the problem with college basketball is the rules and officiating.

I don't really see any problems that much, I agree with the 3 point lines, but none of those other points improve the game at all, just change it to mirror a NBA which has James Harden get to the line 20 times a game consistently

Y'all just don't like the college game, quit trying to compare it to the NBA which is literally at a peak for talent in the league

Fjordson

He didn't have to this game since the ND coach was too dumb to double him so I'll have to take your word for it that he is a good passer. Since he is only 18 he might well develop into an outstanding NBA player but his skills seem to be far from that right now (skills will get better but how much? and he will probably get stronger and taller!)..
He just has a lot of different tools. Can finish with either hand, has a decent jumper, and shoots over 80% from the line. Crazy good for a guy his size.

He's also leading the best defensive team in the nation in blocks. Been a very good rim protector.

Not saying he'll be a superstar or anything, but I think he'll be good.

Cloudy

Banned
He didn't have to this game since the ND coach was too dumb to double him so I'll have to take your word for it that he is a good passer. Since he is only 18 he might well develop into an outstanding NBA player but his skills seem to be far from that right now (skills will get better but how much? and he will probably get stronger and taller!)..

He should have been doubled late. Not like UK was scorching from 3. Abysmal coaching decision

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
College teams would play a lot better if they changed the rules. Stop letting defenders keep their hands all over the offensive players. Give it a 24 second shot clock so teams can't just dribble up top for 12 seconds before they start the offense and kill any flow for both teams. Make the 3 point line NBA range so all these guys who can't actually play don't get hot one night and hit 100 3s and win a game they shouldn't. Call games more consistently from an officiating standpoint.

Part of the problem with college basketball is the rules and officiating.

They could also stand to cut the number of time outs in half. At least. Just brutal.

Actually would feel pretty good if we played Kentucky. They're really long on defense but not very smart, and everyone on our team is a decent passer. More worried about Duke tomorrow and dealing with Winslow as SF is our biggest weakness.

Kacar

Crazy game. Upset UK won.

Always thought the Anthony Davis team was kinda/reasonably better than this team. Didn't they just lose on 2 buzzer beaters??

Also they pretty much steamroller the tourney.

Cloudy

Banned

He should have been doubled late. Not like UK was scorching from 3. Abysmal coaching decision

spyder_ur

The big thing is the poor overall guardplay. So few players can get their own shot off without screensand the zone actually works on most teams lol.

I really don't get how UK is undefeated with no guards that would be superstars in the NBA someday. Even the worst NBA teams have multiple guards better than the Harrison twins

Well, of course, they are professional players. I can only think of one college guard (D. Russell) who seems like he is immediately ready to play in the NBA. To be fair, this seems like a big-heavy draft class.

Jarate

Banned
I find it hilarious that people are watching amateur basketball and expecting talent equal to literally professional players

Cloudy

Banned
Crazy game. Upset UK won.

Always thought the Anthony Davis team was kinda/reasonably better than this team. Didn't they just lose on 2 buzzer beaters??

Also they pretty much steamroller the tourney.

Davis, MKG and Terrence Jones are better NBA players than anyone on this UK team will be

Cloudy

Banned
Well, of course, they are professional players. I can only think of one college guard (D. Russell) who seems like he is immediately ready to play in the NBA. To be fair, this seems like a big-heavy draft class.

It wasn't always that way. In the recent past, watching guys like Kyrie, John Wall and D-Rose etc. in college, you could tell they would be NBA stars. You don't see many guards that stand out like that these days

offtopic

I find it hilarious that people are watching amateur basketball and expecting talent equal to literally professional players

The talent level of college basketball used to be much higher so for old people like me the current massive drop from pros to college makes it difficult to watch. And by pros, I mean like the Spanish league and not even the NBA.

I can go watch my local high school teams if I just want to see kids having fun playing bad ball. Not sure I should feed these educational and media institutions my money for something similar.

Cloudy

Banned
MKG? Better than Towns? You're high breh. Towns is 6-11 and has a better jumper than MKG.

Edit: Towns also shoots 10% better than him at the line :lol

I don't think his game translates to NBA star but we'll see. Also I think MKG is just in a bad situation

Jarate

Banned
It wasn't always that way. In the recent past, watching guys like Kyrie, John Wall and D-Rose etc. in college, you could tell they would be NBA stars. You don't see many guards that stand out like that these days
Last year we had a bunch of good guards, this year we don't

That's what happens, some years there aren't great guards

https://twitter.com/FSKPart3/status/582002836646432769/photo/1
CBOwfTwUMAA9T3w.jpg

So impress with the Badgers. Came back as a #1 seed and beat Arizona worse than last year.

Jarate

Banned
The talent level of college basketball used to be much higher so for old people like me the current massive drop from pros to college makes it difficult to watch. And by pros, I mean like the Spanish league and not even the NBA.

I can go watch my local high school teams if I just want to see kids having fun playing bad ball. Not sure I should feed these educational and media institutions my money for something similar.
Maybe the college game isn't for you then. Its very obvious why there's not as much talent. If you can't accept that then you shouldn't watch the games

Fjordson

I don't think his game translates to NBA star but we'll see. Also I think MKG is just in a bad situation
I agree about MKG, but I think you're selling Towns a bit short. But tough to say right now.

Definitely no Anthony David or John Wall type of star on this team, I agree with that. I think UK has done so well mainly because they have 9-10 players who are at least solid. Most college teams are lucky to have 7.

Cloudy

Banned

Anytime I watch NCAA football, I feel I see several NFL players. Just not the case with NCAA hoops these days. Their talent doesn't have to equal the pros but they should be competent vs. college competition. It doesn't help that there's a very loud contingent that keeps telling us NCCA ball is better than the pros

Fjordson

Anytime I watch NCAA football, I feel I see several NFL players. Just not the case with NCAA hoops these days. Their talent doesn't have to equal the pros but they should be competent vs. college competition. It doesn't help that there's a very loud contingent that keeps telling us NCCA ball is better than the pros
I love college ball, but yeah that's nuts. NBA is great right now and college definitely has issues.

spyder_ur

Sample size. It's one year. For sure those guys stood out, but that 3-4 year stretch was kind of an outlier. You're right though, it was clear with those guys and there hasn't been a guard like that the last couple years.

I mean looking back on it last year did have Wiggins and Smart. Smart might not turn out to be a star, but it was obvious those two were NBA players.

Jarate

Banned
So are you implying you see 0 NBA players on any team even though they will literally be drafted in the NBA. And not every NBA draft has been filled to the brim with studs, do you remember the shit class of 2 years ago, this one is way better

There hasn't been this many good big men in a while for a draft either, the guard play is meh, but the bogs play has been great

offtopic

Maybe the college game isn't for you then. Its very obvious why there's not as much talent. If you can't accept that then you shouldn't watch the games

Well, I don't watch the games anymore but I've been hit over the head all week in the media (many different sources) about how historically good this Kentucky team is. And by that they didn't mean merely that they were undefeated but that they might be one of the greatest teams of all time.

So they got me to watch and I came away very unimpressed (with both the level of the game and the team). Just wanted to post my thoughts from that perspective.

offtopic

If college doesn't change their business and development model I think most NBA players in 10 years will be coming from overseas. Either foreign players or US players going abroad to get a higher level of training.

MisterR

Well, I don't watch the games anymore but I've been hit over the head all week in the media (many different sources) about how historically good this Kentucky team is. And by that they didn't mean merely that they were undefeated but that they might be one of the greatest teams of all time.

So they got me to watch and I came away very unimpressed (with both the level of the game and the team). Just wanted to post my thoughts from that perspective.

This was about UK's C level game.

Talon

What they've done is historic and all, but I still think that the UK team with AD/MKG/etc. and the Florida repeat team are better overall. Again, not fair because this team is so freshmen heavy in the rotation, so it's definitely an impressive feat.

As much as I loved that 09 UNC revenge team, Kentucky's size would have killed that team's rebounding ability.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I'm talking about how their talent translates to NBA ball. I don't think Towns is a franchise big in today's NBA. Not versatile enough IMO

Towns is 18, I feel like this needs to be put into perspective.

within the one and done era, we've seen Russell Westbrook and Kevin Love; Mike Conley and Greg Oden; Al Horfod and Joakim Noah; and John Wall and Boogie Cousins all play on teams together. The argument that the quality of play is down because players aren't as talented at the highest level anymore doesn't make sense; the NBA siphoning talent as soon as it presents itself is one of the main reasons the quality of play in the Association has risen so much in the past 10 years.

Towns is 19. But yeah still.. he's pretty damn good for being 19.

Though I will say, it's hard to judge these guys completely individually on Kentucky.. you have like 6 guys (maybe 8) who'd be just about the best player on any other college team. They aren't being asked individually to carry the team.. and sometimes it seems to hurt them.. because they should have been feeding Towns even more throughout the 1st and early 2nd.. they waited too long to go that route.

I think Cal rotates guys a bit too much, not enough consistency at times to keep things flowing.

Cloudy

Banned
So are you implying you see 0 NBA players on any team even though they will literally be drafted in the NBA. And not every NBA draft has been filled to the brim with studs, do you remember the shit class of 2 years ago, this one is way better

There hasn't been this many good big men in a while for a draft either, the guard play is meh, but the bogs play has been great

No, I meant that it's rare to see a D1 football game with no one who I think could be an inpact NFL player. On the other hand, I see many college hoops games where the "stars" will be role-players at best on the next level

Jarate

Banned
No, I said that it's rare to see a D1 football game with no one I think could be an inpact NFL player. On the other hand, I see many college hoops games where the "stars" would be role-players at best on the next level
Well no shit, each team needs 22 different players on the NFL on the field at a time

A team only needs 5 in basketball

spyder_ur

If college doesn't change their business and development model I think most NBA players in 10 years will be coming from overseas. Either foreign players or US players going abroad to get a higher level of training.

It's somewhat possible but that feels like a stretch to me. These elite players view themselves as brands more and more and are thinking about that at an earlier age. Think about it. Unless you're a real NBA draft buff, you don't know who Emmanuel Mudiay is. Lots of people know who Towns, Okafor, Russell, Winslow and Kaminsky are right now.

iamblades

MKG? Better than Towns? You're high breh. Towns is 6-11 and has a better jumper than MKG.

Edit: Towns also shoots 10% better than him at the line :lol

MKG is a top 3 defensive player in the league(definitely the most impactful perimeter defender), so it's not as crazy as it sounds. Charlotte's D goes from terrible to top 5 when he's on the court.

Euro teams don't really offer a 'higher level of training' when they know the player is just going to leave to the NBA as soon as possible.

The Euro player development model has it's strengths, but the idea that Euro players are so superior in skillset is pretty much debunked by now. Plenty of Euros come over and play like garbage. There is a Jan Vesely and Darko Milicic for every US college player that comes in unprepared, and there are US college players that show way more game in the pros than they did in college. Textbook case is Anthony Davis. People familiar with the team knew that AD had a great offensive touch and was working hard on his offense in his spare time, but the book on him was that he was raw offensively because he didn't show it in games.

Basketball players have to develop skill on their own, regardless of if they are in a pro system or an 'amateur' system. There simply isn't enough time in games or practices for players to get better at fundamental skills.

tokkun

No, I meant that it's rare to see a D1 football game with no one who I think could be an inpact NFL player. On the other hand, I see many college hoops games where the "stars" will be role-players at best on the next level

Part of that is just math. Football teams have much larger rosters than basketball teams. If you limited your search to only defensive linemen, then you might see a lot more football games without NFL prospects.

Fjordson

MKG is a top 3 defensive player in the league(definitely the most impactful perimeter defender), so it's not as crazy as it sounds. Charlotte's D goes from terrible to top 5 when he's on the court.
I love MKG, but I just think Towns could be really good. A higher ceiling because of his offensive game.

Edit: just read UK didn't miss a single field goal over the last 12 minutes? Holy shite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom