• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NCAA Tournament March Madness |OT| 67 Teams Vie For Second Place

Status
Not open for further replies.

spyder_ur

So, haven't watched much college bball this year (or the last few for that matter). Used to be a huge fan but the quality has just declined so far relative to the NBA that I've had a hard time watching the brutal level of play.

Tuned in to see this Kentucky juggernaut...just no. Overall level of play very low (by both teams). Kentucky players just not that good...see 3-4 NBA role players maybe?

Maybe you shouldn't judge on one game.

And 3-4 NBA role players on a college team is really good. I think that's underselling them a little though. We'll see.

I wasn't really talking about the last play. The last couple of possessions was just one guard dribbling it for the majority of the shot clock and hoisting up a shot. It's not like they were up much to be wasting clock. They were beating KY by great ball movement, but decided to just go ISO.

True, but calling their last timeout on the dead ball with the shot clock violation right after they had a ton of time to draw up a defensive play while the refs were reviewing who got possession cost them. I know I'm armchair coaching but a timeout in those last 6 seconds would have given them a chance.

Yeah, he had two near 7 footers closing on him though. At least he got a makeable shot up. Not having a TO killed them there.

He did hit the biggest shot of the game for ND after that Harrison 3.

Kentucky was plenty awake. They played a close game against a really good team that is very hot right now. You're not gonna win every game by 40. Wisconsin could certainly challenge them. Kinda similar to ND in a lot of ways - deliberate tempo, efficient offense, limited athletically, lots of shooters.

And then he took two terrible possessions where he held the ball for twenty seconds and then tried to throw a 22 footer over a 7 foot Kentucky player. Get something going towards the rim and get fouled or kick it out to an open shooter when the defense collapses. That's how they've scored so efficiently all year. Not hero ball.

Yeah, I'm well aware of how good Notre Dame is. My team lost to them twice.

We're all Badger fans now.

B5UCKIDCYAA0Z_G.jpg:large

I don't root for conferences and I hate this guy. Hope he loses by 50. Problem is I hope the racist coaching Kentucky loses by 50 too.

jmizzal

Towns looks like he could be an average big man at the NBA level. He certainly won't be able to just back his way to the rim against smaller defenders without getting instantly doubled (was ND coach stupid? he should have just doubled every time). 2-3 others at end of bench maybe. I dunno...college teams in the past have had legit stars and a couple other really good players.

That was just...unimpressive (edited from "bad").

Towns only move isnt just back down players, he can shot on the outside too, but he had lil guys on him so he went to work in the low post, which is what your suppose to do

Fjordson

Towns looks like he could be an average big man at the NBA level. He certainly won't be able to just back his way to the rim against smaller defenders without getting instantly doubled (was ND coach stupid? he should have just doubled every time). 2-3 others at end of bench maybe. I dunno...college teams in the past have had legit stars and a couple other really good players.

That was just...bad.
Don't think there are any Anthony Davis or John Wall-level stars on this team, but there are 3-4 lottery picks.

Towns in particular will be really good at the next level. To score like he does in the post with the lack of space and shooters in college is impressive,

Bowser

Really thought this UK team was going to be the first to win every NCAAT game by 10+ points since '09 UNC...surprised they struggled so much offensively vs. a pretty mediocre defensive team in ND.

spyder_ur

And then he took two terrible possessions where he held the ball for twenty seconds and then tried to throw a 22 footer over a 7 foot Kentucky player. Get something going towards the rim and get fouled or kick it out to an open shooter when the defense collapses. That's how they've scored so efficiently all year. Not hero ball.

Yeah, I'm well aware of how good Notre Dame is. My team lost to them twice.

That's fair. They could've used more structure on some of those last possessions for sure. That happens a ton at the end of college and even NBA games. Not having a TO on that last possession killed them.

The last one though wasn't his fault. I was impressed he even got it near the rim. It was doomed once he caught it heading away from the basket.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Maybe you shouldn't judge on one game.

And 3-4 NBA role players on a college team is really good. I think that's underselling them a little though. We'll see.

Maybe it isn't fair to judge one game. I'll admit that my perception is coming from someone who has lost interest in college ball just because of how bad I think the play is relative to the pros. But I kept hearing about this "perfect!" team and how they might be the best of all time and then I watch that...well...disappointing. Not even close to the best college teams of all time. To even discuss that is a joke.

iamblades

This wasnt the best UK game but only 1 NBA star on that team and its Towns, but having 3-4 role players on one college team is why they are really good

I'm almost positive that Lyles will be an NBA star as well. He is just so skilled and smooth, playing out of position at the college level and he still beasts. He's been getting way better defensively over the year as well.

WCS will be as good as he wants to be, but I'm not sure he really wants to be a superstar.

Dakari is an NBA role player, you always need big bodies in that league. Booker could go the role player path or could be Klay Thompson, but most probably a role player.

The rest of the guards are probably role players/bench rotation guys though. I do think the Harrisons will be better than many people think in the NBA, but probably not all stars.

offtopic

Don't think there are any Anthony Davis or John Wall-level stars on this team, but there are 3-4 lottery picks.

Towns in particular will be really good at the next level. To score like he does in the post with the lack of space and shooters in college is impressive,

Lack of space? He was single guarded by a guy he outweighed by 50 pounds all night (something you'd never see in the pros). I think he'll be OK but definitely not a force. They did play good defense though...although part of it is just that college offenses are so bad..

Jarate

Banned
Maybe it isn't fair to judge one game. I'll admit that my perception is coming from someone who has lost interest in college ball just because of how bad I think the play is relative to the pros. But I kept hearing about this "perfect!" team and how they might be the best of all time and then I watch that...well...disappointing. Not even close to the best college teams of all time. To even discuss that is a joke.
Are you implying that the college game, which is led by one and done freshman and has a hard time developing players can't compete with the NBA which might be at a peaknfor how talented it is?

WHO WOULDVE EVER THUNK IT!

Fjordson

That talk is just more about accomplishment I think since no team has gone 38-0 before.

I would agree though, level of play in college is not great. Even as a UK fan, I've been saying that all year.

That was just...unimpressive (edited from "bad").
Towns is 18, I feel like this needs to be put into perspective.

within the one and done era, we've seen Russell Westbrook and Kevin Love; Mike Conley and Greg Oden; Al Horfod and Joakim Noah; and John Wall and Boogie Cousins all play on teams together. The argument that the quality of play is down because players aren't as talented at the highest level anymore doesn't make sense; the NBA siphoning talent as soon as it presents itself is one of the main reasons the quality of play in the Association has risen so much in the past 10 years.

iamblades

You're honestly suggesting intentionally fouling in a tie game with 30 seconds left?

Actually wouldn't have been a terrible idea if UK had thrown the ball into towns on that final play. But the play was drawn up for Drew, so ND actually had a decent shot of defending that last play. The guy shouldn't have tried to draw the charge and just forced Andrew to make a tough layup(which is his weak spot, he is really poor finishing at the rim because he fishes for fouls too much).

Cloudy

Banned
I would agree though, level of play in college is not great. Even as a UK fan, I've been saying that all year.

It's really atrocious to watch a lot of the games if you also follow the NBA seriously. I just don't understand how some people still think college ball is better

offtopic

Are you implying that the college game, which is led by one and done freshman and has a hard time developing players can't compete with the NBA which might be at a peaknfor how talented it is?

WHO WOULDVE EVER THUNK IT!

Hah! I would never suggest such a thing!

Seriously though, what you say is incredibly obvious and yet all I hear all week on the radio, espn, sports blogs is that this might be the greatest college squad EVER ASSEMBLED. So, some people aren't getting it.

Jarate

Banned

Seriously though, what you say is incredibly obvious and yet all I hear all week on the radio, espn, sports blogs is that this might be the greatest college squad EVER ASSEMBLED. So, some people aren't getting it.
They have like 6-7 NBA players and went undefeated

The hype is just ESPN and talking heads trying to get you to watch the game, I'd take the older teams in a heartbeat, but this Kentucky team might be the best defensive team ever

jmizzal

I'm almost positive that Lyles will be an NBA star as well. He is just so skilled and smooth, playing out of position at the college level and he still beasts. He's been getting way better defensively over the year as well.

WCS will be as good as he wants to be, but I'm not sure he really wants to be a superstar.

Dakari is an NBA role player, you always need big bodies in that league. Booker could go the role player path or could be Klay Thompson, but most probably a role player.

The rest of the guards are probably role players/bench rotation guys though. I do think the Harrisons will be better than many people think in the NBA, but probably not all stars.

Its really hard to judge these guys since they are all on the same team, Lyles is hard to judge like you said hes outta position. They have about 8 guys who will get drafted at some point, how well they do remains to be seen

spyder_ur

I am an NBA fan first and foremost as well. I've been on here alot criticizing the quality of these games for various reasons and I think it's a sharp contrast to the NBA which has made structural changes to improve its game.

I mean, noone knows how these kids will do as pros - it's always hard to imagine college kids in the NBA - hell, people whose job it is to do that make a ton of mistakes. I personally see alot to like though. Towns seems totally solid to me as a franchise big that you don't see that much anymore. Cauley-Stein immediately will give an NBA team athleticism and shot blocking. Booker, Lyles and Aaron Harrison all seem like they would have niches.

I haven't seen that many people really arguing that this is one of the best teams in college history. The fact that they are so freshman-heavy makes that a stretch. But it's still an incredible achievement.

As a Notre Dame grad sometimes it's harder to lose a game by 2 than by 20. Those men played their hearts out and came up a bit short. Should have fouled with 30 left on the clock. I hate playing for overtime.

Fjordson

Again, I think you need to parse that talk a little more. No team has ever gone 38-0, that's where the discussion is coming from. Obviously these aren't the greatest basketball players of all time.

If there are people saying this is the single greatest team ever then yeah, that's crazy. And I say this as a UK fan.

Lack of space? He was single guarded by a guy he outweighed by 50 pounds all night (something you'd never see in the pros). I think he'll be OK but definitely not a force. They did play good defense though...although part of it is just that college offenses are so bad..
College is way more congested inside than in the pros. Lack of outside shooting, zones, etc.

And Towns is a great passer. Hasn't had much trouble this year finding shooters when he gets doubled.

offtopic

It's really atrocious to watch a lot of the games if you also follow the NBA seriously. I just don't understand how some people still think college ball is better

I think some people like the grindy play style and they love the fantasy of the amateur athlete and somehow that translates into them thinking it is good basketball. D league teams would beat Kentucky 9 out of 10 times if they played. First division euro squads would laugh and wipe the floor with them. It is bad basketball.

spyder_ur

They fouled him anyway and couldn't stop shit in the pant. I'd rather have the time for a do or die 3, or hope they miss one.

Actually wouldn't have been a terrible idea if UK had thrown the ball into towns on that final play. But the play was drawn up for Drew, so ND actually had a decent shot of defending that last play. The guy shouldn't have tried to draw the charge and just forced Andrew to make a tough layup(which is his weak spot, he is really poor finishing at the rim because he fishes for fouls too much).

They do it in Europe all the time. Doesn't mean it's the better strategy, but,

when you consider this:

You might wanna look into it.

No, that makes no sense at all. You don't just forfeit defensively because you have failed to stop them recently.

Kentucky isn't a bad shooting FT team I don't believe, correct? Towns shoots 80 percent.

Plus this sends a horrible message to your players.

Jarate

Banned
I think some people like the grindy play style and they love the fantasy of the amateur athlete and somehow that translates into them thinking it is good basketball. D league teams would beat Kentucky 9 out of 10 times if they played. First division euro squads would laugh and wipe the floor with them. It is bad basketball.
I personally like the college game more then the NBA game because of the different styles that get played and can be effective

And offenses are fine, teams just use up all 35 seconds of the shot clock now because there's no reason not too

offtopic

College is way more congested inside than in the pros. Lack of outside shooting, zones, etc.

And Towns is a great passer. Hasn't had much trouble this year finding shooters when he gets doubled.

He didn't have to this game since the ND coach was too dumb to double him so I'll have to take your word for it that he is a good passer. Since he is only 18 he might well develop into an outstanding NBA player but his skills seem to be far from that right now (skills will get better but how much? and he will probably get stronger and taller!)..

College teams would play a lot better if they changed the rules. Stop letting defenders keep their hands all over the offensive players. Give it a 24 second shot clock so teams can't just dribble up top for 12 seconds before they start the offense and kill any flow for both teams. Make the 3 point line NBA range so all these guys who can't actually play don't get hot one night and hit 100 3s and win a game they shouldn't. Call games more consistently from an officiating standpoint.

Part of the problem with college basketball is the rules and officiating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom