• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NCAA Tournament March Madness |OT| 67 Teams Vie For Second Place

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloudy

Banned
Part of that is just math. Football teams have much larger rosters than basketball teams. If you limited your search to only defensive linemen, then you might see a lot more football games without NFL prospects.

The stars in football are usually skilled players so let's limit this to them. It's rare you see a D1 game with no QB, RB or WR who could make an impact in the NFL. Making them stay in school till 21 is a big part of it though. However there were many surefire NBA stars in college even when kids could turn pro out of high school.

Just seems like a lull in talent...

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
No, I meant that it's rare to see a D1 football game with no one who I think could be an inpact NFL player. On the other hand, I see many college hoops games where the "stars" will be role-players at best on the next level

Honestly, it's not that often I watch a D1 game where I can say without doubt there's a guy who's gonna be a star in the NFL.

The success/failure rate in the NFL draft is just as bad as the NBA draft to be honest... as far as guys who go on to be big impact players.

bachikarn

The stars in football are usually skilled players so let's limit this to them. It's rare you see a D1 game with no QB, RB or WR who could make an impact in the NFL. Making them stay in school till 21 is a big part of it though. However there were many surefire NBA stars in college even when kids could turn pro out of high school.

Just seems like a lull in talent...

Well, I'll think there is a lot of NBA talent on the KY team, but even if not, they have a lot of great college players and their front court has ridiculous depth. Their guards aren't elite but still are very good and make a big play when needed.

They definitely have issues with teams with good ball movement, but I think that's true for any defensive team.

iamblades

Wisconsin gonna shoot 20-30 from 3 against Kentucky

Possible, but UK's 3p defense is the best in the nation. The defense is engineered to give up drives, not 3s, relying on the shot blocker to rotate over and negate the drive. ND didn't hit 30%, and they are a substantially better 3 point shooting team.

If they hit insane number of contested shots and knock us out, I guess them's the breaks in a single elimination tournament. I don't think it is the most likely scenario for a UK loss though.

You have to have the perimeter shooting to space UK's defense out and draw the shot blockers away from the hoop, like ND did, but you have to utilize the space to force rotations and attack the rim.

Possible, but UK's 3p defense is the best in the nation. The defense is engineered to give up drives, not 3s, relying on the shot blocker to rotate over and negate the drive. ND didn't hit 30%, and they are a substantially better 3 point shooting team.

If they hit insane number of contested shots and knock us out, I guess them's the breaks in a single elimination tournament. I don't think it is the most likely scenario for a UK loss though.

You have to have the perimeter shooting to space UK's defense out and draw the shot blockers away from the hoop, like ND did, but you have to utilize the space to force rotations and attack the rim.

he meant 20-30% lol

BTM

It'll be an interesting game that's for sure. It's not going to be easy for Wisconsin to score and I don't see them having the same kind of shooting performance they had in the second half tonight.

Rewatching the Badgers game. Lol at Reggie Miller admitting to flopping in his playing days and like I said before Kaminsky's flopping is NBA ready.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Don't care about math, NBA talent levels or anything else.

38-0

Unbelievable will to win on one of our worst 3 games of the year.

Don't care about teams that can narrowly win games in some basketball minor league. 42.5 points per game is the UConn Huskies average winning margin this year. That is far more impressive.

Don't care about teams that can narrowly win games in some basketball minor league. 42.5 points per game is the UConn Huskies average winning margin this year. That is far more impressive.

rofl

women's basketball, where 90% of the teams don't even belong on the same court as the few top teams?

oh, and UConn, a team that already lost once?

yeah ok buddy

P.S. Kentucky's average margin of victory through 38 games is 20.76 points

https://vine.co/v/OLal22IDwmB

UISr41P.gif

Fjordson

Rewatching the last minute of the game, Cauley-Stein is one of the best big man defenders I've seen in college in a really long time. Got switched on Grant and didn't miss a step, getting the block on his jumper. And then on the last play stayed with Grant down the entire floor without fouling and herded him into the corner where Lyles was. Just ridiculous perimeter D for a 7 footer.

nillapuddin

Rewatching the last minute of the game, Cauley-Stein is one of the best big man defenders I've seen in college in a really long time. Got switched on Grant and didn't miss a step, getting the block on his jumper. And then on the last play stayed with Grant down the entire floor without fouling and herded him into the corner where Lyles was. Just ridiculous perimeter D for a 7 footer.

As the announcers said, Willie isn't used to rotating on guards on pick and rolls, he is out of his comfort zone

Jlaw_okay.gif

Guarded connaughton pretty much the whole game, he shoots 3-10 for only 8 points, hugely underrated part of the game

3 point defense continued to be of the charts
bSpJIwf.jpg

Big props to ND, literally did every single thing you could possibly hope to do to win, great coaching also.

Fjordson

As the announcers said, Willie isn't used to rotating on guards on pick and rolls, he is out of his comfort zone

Jlaw_okay.gif

Guarded connaughton pretty much the whole game, he shoots 3-10 for only 8 points, hugely underrated part of the game
Did they really say that? Dummies. Cauley-Stein is one of the most versatile defenders I've ever seen in college. His footwork and lateral quickness is unreal and he's great at contesting shots without fouling.

nillapuddin

Did they really say that? Dummies. Cauley-Stein is one of the most versatile defenders I've ever seen in college. His footwork and lateral quickness is unreal and he's great at contesting shots without fouling.

In pregame and during they said multiple times how the UK bigs aren't used to switching on guards and that they will have a hard time adjusting on defense.

Anyone who knows anything know we switch at all 5, hell Tyler will guard a 5 for entire possessions sometimes

Can't wait to not have to listen to these announcers who know nothing about the team and just assume off of stat sheets or use generalizations to fill time.

WCS has no skills for example, disgusting.

Edit: Damn, I watched the whole thing, but the box score is jarring

wrEKq6z.jpg

Good on wiscy, but Jeeze, I'm sure Zona would take those offensive numbers 9 days a week.

I'm assuming Wisconsin doesnt usually allow these sort of numbers, I'm really looking forward to next weeks game, expecting another great game

Cats by 5

Mrbob

Wisconsin aren't really a great defensive team. They are good but not amazing. Funny thing is for as much shit that they get for playing slow basketball they tend to win high scoring games.

Still expecting their season to end against Kentucky but if Dekker can continue his beast tourney streak who knows. This is probably wiscys best shot to win a title in the next decade so Kentucky can wait a year since they reload each season anyway.

thefro

The difference is UK will have to guard Kamisky out at the 3 point line. Wisconsin has 5 3-point shooters in their starting lineup while ND only has 4.

Also Dekker and Kamisky are both good enough to cause big matchup problems for some of UK's players.

Wisconsin aren't really a great defensive team. They are good but not amazing. Funny thing is for as much shit that they get for playing slow basketball they tend to win high scoring games.

Still expecting their season to end against Kentucky but if Dekker can continue his beast tourney streak who knows. This is probably wiscys best shot to win a title in the next decade so Kentucky can wait a year since they reload each season anyway.

Yeah Kaminsky and Dekker's both gone after this season and punk ass Diamond Stone committed to Maryland(Fuck Under Armor) so this really the best shot to win a title. Still Kentucky just looks too strong to be stopped this year.

Talon

The difference is UK will have to guard Kamisky out at the 3 point line. Wisconsin has 5 3-point shooters in their starting lineup while ND only has 4.

Also Dekker and Kamisky are both good enough to cause big matchup problems for some of UK's players.
Conversely, neither Dekker nor Kaminsky have faced a team with this much size and pure athleticism all season. Shooting over WCS won't be fun.

Dispatch

I love MKG, but I just think Towns could be really good. A higher ceiling because of his offensive game.

I agree. People are selling Towns way short. He could be Zach Randolph or Demarcus Cousins (and seems to be less of a head case than either of those players). I could see him developing his game and even being Tim Duncan without the longevity.

MisterR

Luckily Cauley-Stein was born to guard Kamisky. Although they may put him on Dekker

MisterR

I agree. People are selling Towns way short. He could be Zach Randolph or Demarcus Cousins (and seems to be less of a head case than either of those players). I could see him developing his game and even being Tim Duncan without the longevity.

Thing people don't even really knowis Towns has range. He was a stretch 5 in high school. He shoots over 80% from FT line and now he's got a damn good back to the basket game. He'll be an NBA all star.

DominoKid

Thing people don't even really knowis Towns has range. He was a stretch 5 in high school. He shoots over 80% from FT line and now he's got a damn good back to the basket game. He'll be an NBA all star.

Yeah i thought Cal would scheme ut up to get him some 3s but im all for coaches making their bigs get the fuck in the post.

MisterR

The thing I love though are the guys who've watched a couple tourney games and are now experts on the college game.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Yep. He's just almost unstoppable at this level in the paint. In the NBA the face up game will come back.

Yeah, but let's be honest.. the NBA isn't loaded with 4-5 talent these days. Especially at the 5.

Towns will be fine in the NBA... and has a good chance at being really damn good. He's got the size and skill to go far.

WCS is a beast defender. That'll be his calling in the NBA. Maybe just maybe he'll find his motor like Drummond did and be a double-double guy too.

DominoKid

Yeah, but let's be honest.. the NBA isn't loaded with 4-5 talent these days. Especially at the 5.

Towns will be fine in the NBA... and has a good chance at being really damn good. He's got the size and skill to go far.

WCS is a beast defender. That'll be his calling in the NBA. Maybe just maybe he'll find his motor like Drummond did and be a double-double guy too.

I see no reason why WCS cant be at least better than Deandre Jordan on both ends

Bowser

As much as I loved that 09 UNC revenge team, Kentucky's size would have killed that team's rebounding ability.

On the flip side, no one on this UK team would be able to stop Ty's dribble penetration. Plus, spreading the floor with shooters in Green and Ellington would help Hansbrough in the paint too.

Would be a fun game to watch. I think 2012 UNC would've given this UK team a run for its money as well (still pissed the thugs at Crieghton robbed us of a UK/UNC title game rematch that year...)

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
I'm nervous about tonight. I think if we can keep Gonzaga's 3-pt shooting in check, we'll pull off a win because we're more versatile offensively, but if they start raining 3s we're in a lot of trouble.

Need to do a better job on the boards too.

bachikarn

Conversely, neither Dekker nor Kaminsky have faced a team with this much size and pure athleticism all season. Shooting over WCS won't be fun.

That's true, but if Wisconsin has any quick guards that can drive, they can be effective with WCS and the other bigs being pulled out of the paint.

Talon

On the flip side, no one on this UK team would be able to stop Ty's dribble penetration. Plus, spreading the floor with shooters in Green and Ellington would help Hansbrough in the paint too.
They're definitely two teams that loved to run. UNC killed that tourney because they were so dominant on offensive boards.
Would be a fun game to watch. I think 2012 UNC would've given this UK team a run for its money as well (still pissed the thugs at Crieghton robbed us of a UK/UNC title game rematch that year...)
Fuck Alex Gibbs. Fuck him.

nillapuddin

I find it hard to compare teams that never got to play.

But I do think that if Poythress doesn't get injured I think the conversation is very different.

Easy to forget how explosive of an offensive player (minus shooting) and a lock down defender with agility and length Alex is.

Dosia

Congrats to the Badger fans. Pretty heartbreaking losing in the Elite 8 again. I still can't believe the second half shooting by Wisconsin.

Talon

I find it hard to compare teams that never got to play.

But I do think that if Poythress doesn't get injured I think the conversation is very different.

Easy to forget how explosive of an offensive player (minus shooting) and a lock down defender with agility and length Alex is.
I mean, think back to last season. Those two late plays at the rack by Poythress against Wiscy kept them in play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom