• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NHL Playoffs |OT| The King Is Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

trifelife

nervous for next game, nucks pretty much played like shit there.

ride the sedins willie, you literally don't have to do much else

What? Hansen, Edler and Vrbata all hit posts in the first. Calgary's goal came off a weird bounce. Defense was a lot better moving the puck out of the zone. PK was strong. Did we watch the same game?

Socreges

Banned
Tabris let's make out on your Ikea sofa
You know this will only end in disappointment, Dastardly

What? Hansen, Edler and Vrbata all hit posts in the first. Calgary's goal came off a weird bounce. Defense was a lot better moving the puck out of the zone. PK was strong. Did we watch the same game?
Seriously I don't get that. I missed the 2nd period, but by all accounts that was a pretty one-sided period as well. The Flames generated practically nothing during the third while the Canucks had just a one-goal lead.

That said... I expect the Flames to be a much more confident team on Saturday.

iYbQxYXpsyyVV.gif

Amazing.

iLLmAtlc

sorry i must have phrased it poorly, i was trying to say the canucks played like shit in calgary (there)

"nervous for next game, nucks pretty much played like shit there."

trifelife

Flames organization tells fans to stop harassing women on the Red Mile

BY EVA FERGUSON, CALGARY HERALD, CALGARY HERALD APRIL 24, 2015
Calgary Flames executives Ken King and Brian Burke are asking hockey fans along the Red Mile to stop behaving in an illegal, offensive manner after reports of sexual harassment, violent language and intimidation of women during playoff games.

“Our view is that if you’re a true Flames fan, you are not engaging in this kind of behaviour,” CEO King told the Herald Thursday just before leaving for Vancouver for Game 5 in the playoff series.

“We want to make it clear, do not do this stuff, ever. And for goodness sake don’t do it in our name because that’s not our culture, that’s not our organization.”

Flames president of hockey operations Brian Burke added: “This kind of behaviour has nothing to do with us, nothing to do with hockey. This is no way to treat women. I ask that everyone keeps their red on, and treat each other with respect.”

Women say they’ve been feeling threatened and unsafe along the Red Mile with fans yelling at them, asking them to take their shirts off, carrying posters that say things like “Show your cans for Monahan.”

Broadcast and print journalists have also faced harassment from drunken fans while working, even during live reports on TV.

King’s reply to that was “our players find this repugnant and completely out of the atmosphere that we are trying to create as a hockey club. Our city’s reputation is at stake and in Calgary we have to be better than that.

“Let’s enjoy this ride with dignity and pride.”

Stasha Huntingford, who headed up the group Pussy Cats Consent Awareness Team for a demonstration on the Red Mile Thursday to raise awareness, said it was critical the Flames stepped up and spoke out against the harassment.

“They have a lot more power to change things than I do. I’m a woman, I can be dismissed, in the same way that women are blamed for not taking their tops off, it’s a patriarchal society.

“But when men are telling men what is acceptable, that will have some impact.”

A small group of demonstrators stood on the sidewalk outside Western Canada High School and held placards that said, “Women are not objects,” “Look, don’t touch” and “Stop shouting at women to take their tops off!”

They received a few honks, thumbs up and words of encouragement. “Thank you for doing this,” one passing motorist told the group.

Shara Rosko, a demonstrator who lives a few blocks away from the strip of 17th Avenue S.W. dubbed the Red Mile, said she has heard stories of harassment and violence, which make her nervous walking in the area.

Rosko said she planned to head to a nearby bar to watch the game after the consent demonstration, and would try to walk home with a friend.

Members of the Pussycats Consent Awareness Team work to raise awareness of and protest the bad behaviour by some hockey fans during an event along 17th Avenue before game 5 of the Flames and Canucks NHL playoff series on Thursday April 23, 2015.

“I grew up with hockey, but I wish it felt better,” she said. “I wish I didn’t hear stories of people being yelled at, and I can hear it from my window.”

Calgary police spokesman Kevin Brookwell said officers are keeping a close eye on Red Mile trends unique to this playoff run, particularly journalists who are feeling harassed. He said officers would patrol the area “in full force,” adding it would “not be difficult to find a police officer within your vision.”

Last week, a Global Calgary TV reporter was interrupted during a live report outside the Ship and Anchor Pub by a male passerby who shouts “F*** her right in the p****. Go, Flames, go.”

The vulgar slur originally gained notoriety in January 2014 when John Cain of Cincinnati, Ohio, posted a fake news clip of himself posing as a Fox News reporter. In the clip, which went viral, the “reporter” pretends not to know he is on the air and appears to be joking with his anchor about what he would do to a missing young woman if he found her and makes the vulgar reference and a gesture.

After that video went viral, Cain created at least two other videos featuring fake live news reports in which a man roughly grabs the microphone from the female “reporter.”

Brookwell said police are investigating the Red Mile incidents and encourage anyone who is harassed or witnesses anything to let people know.

“These people can be charged with causing a public disturbance,” said Brookwell, explaining that a criminal conviction can result in a $5,000 fine, six months in jail, or both.

Brookwell added that all women have a right to head down to the Red Mile and enjoy themselves in a safe atmosphere.

With files from Reid Southwick

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Goddamnit zedge we told you, asking a hooker to dress up like the Flames mascot is NOT A GOOD IDEA

I want to make a joke about Don Cherry being a conspiracy theorist, but I kind of feel like here's nearly there anyway.

As soon as a player catches a preventable disease from immunisation, I got $10 on him being anti-vax.

Calamari41

41 > 38
So Tabris came home empty-handed from some manner of drinking event after his city's team won an elimination game in the playoffs? Sounds about right.

bill0527

I didn't know that the Fuck her right in the pussy thing was all staged. I knew one of them was, but I thought the others were real.

Anyhow, keep it classy Calgary.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Hope the Sens totally demoralize the Habs fans tonight :D

Seriously though, they need to come out strong because the Habs will definitely come out strong. Looking forward to the Sens sending the series back to Ottawa :)

Socreges

Banned
Flames organization tells fans to stop harassing women on the Red Mile
Flames fans.... Jesus...

Also you missed one excerpt from the full article:

“We want to make it clear, do not do this stuff, ever. And for goodness sake don’t do it in our name because that’s not our culture, that’s not our organization.”

"And to the man in the furry suit," King added, "we will find out who you are. Don't think we won't. And we will put an end to your reign of terror." Until such a time, Mounties have decided to patrol without the horses.

Stasis

Klein is out again tonight. Yandle and Zuccarello are in after missing yesterday's practice.

More reasons to end this tonight. They clearly need some rest and likely have nagging injuries, and Klein can get in some good practice before next round.

Pls Rangers, make it easier than usual. We don't need more 7 game series.

Socreges

Banned
More reasons to end this tonight. They clearly need some rest and likely have nagging injuries, and Klein can get in some good practice before next round.

Pls Rangers, make it easier than usual. We don't need more 7 game series.
The more, the better.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
The Rangers have not won a playoff series in 5 games since the first round of the 2008 playoffs against the Devils. That's 13 playoff series ago.

The Rangers have not won Game 5 to win a series at home since they beat the Islanders in 5 games ...in 1990.

Just, you know, putting that out there.

MXRider

The Rangers have not won a playoff series in 5 games since the first round of the 2008 playoffs against the Devils. That's 13 playoff series ago.

The Rangers have not won Game 5 to win a series at home since they beat the Islanders in 5 games ...in 1990.

give-it-to-me-gifbbzcz.gif

Socreges

Banned

This is kinda meaningless without context. Since 2008, how many times have the Rangers failed to clinch a series in 5 games while up 3-1? How many times have the Rangers played a Game 5 at home where they were up 3-1 in a series since 1990?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom