• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NHL Playoffs |OT| The King Is Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course I would love to see my team start their game at 830 on a weekday when both teams are in the central time zone! Thank you NBC!

Ridiculous. Apparently only east coast matters.

Solo

I think the Habs are in big trouble. Ottawa is easily the worst first round match up we could have gotten. We don't score and Ottawa has a lot of offence and a hot goalie. Unless Price lets in 1 or less a game, I can see Ottawa winning in 5 or 6 games.

Montresor

What I hope will happen:

Ottawa over Montreal
Tampa Bay over Detroit
New York Rangers over Pittsburgh
I don't feel strongly about Washington versus NYI

Minnesota over St. Louis
Chicago over Nashville
Winnipeg over Anaheim
Calgary over Vancouver

----

What I think will happen:

Montreal over Ottawa
Tampa Bay over Detroit
New York Rangers over Pittsburgh
Washington over NYI

St Louis over Minnesota
Chicago over Nashville
Anaheim over Winnipeg
Vancouver over Calgary

Foggy

Someone posted this on hfboards:

Kings :lol

:lol

freaks-and-geeks-o.gif

calder

Canadiens vs Senators in 6 - really tough to call
Lightning vs Red Wings in 5 - I have no real opinion or feel for this series
Rangers vs Penguins in 4 - feel like i need a sweep
Capitals vs Islanders in 6 - basically a pick 'em

Ducks vs Jets in 6 - Jets are the underdog, but not a huge one IMO
Canucks vs Flames in 7 - sry Flms, I need all the upset mojo concentrated in one pick
Blues vs Wild in 7 - another very hard decision
Predators vs Blackhawks in 6 - Preds kinda stumbling along for too long

Giggzy

Of course my annual Yosemite trip is again scheduled during the playoffs... I'll miss game 1 and 2 this week.

Ducks in 5!!

First blush without really looking:

Sens in 6
Lightning in 5
Rangers in 4
Islanders in 6

Wild in 6
Preds in 6
Ducks in 5
Flames in 7

Alucard

Banned
I'd agree with all but the pens matchup. Although you could put any team there and it would be lopsided.

We can weep together ;.;

Honestly, I've been so in and out of following hockey this season that this won't affect me at all. Just frustrating to see them go through so many injuries and not to deliver in the second half of the year.

And Jamie Benn won the scoring title? So weird. This season has been bizarro world. As long as the Habs or Wings don't win, I'm good.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Feels weird to see pretty much everyone so unanimously writing off the Pens. The writing's on the wall, and obviously I picked them to be pretty thoroughly trounced, but it's still a team with Crosby and Malkin. In my heart of hearts I won't truly believe they're dead until the deed is done.

There's also still one gargantuan elephant in the room to deal with, at long last: Playoffs Rick Nash. We're where we are right now largely because Nash had his best year ever as a pro, but he is a known playoff dud so far in his career. He has been on a mission since before training camp to redeem himself for his failure in last year's postseason, especially in the Stanley Cup Final. Now he finally gets his chance. I just hope it's a real motivator, as it has been all season, and not something that gets into his head and throws off his game. You worry about how he might respond if he doesn't come out of the gates producing against the Penguins, especially when he's been particularly dominant against them this season.

Meanwhile, here's this month's Scandinavian Airlines magazine cover:
CCeg_pJUAAE3oIY.jpg

Calamari41

41 > 38
Ducks vs Jets in 6 - Jets are the underdog, but not a huge one IMO

This is a series which is difficult to call, though I think the Ducks have to be the underdogs due to their recent trend of letting gooning teams get them worked up, Boudreau's playoff history, and the extreme lack of experience (though plenty of skill) of their goaltenders. I think that the Ducks will take it if they can keep the Jets' (Byfuglien's) physical play from getting under their skin.

There's also the fact that they've basically been resting for what will be three weeks when the playoffs get going.

Razorskin

----- ------
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/...HL on NBC Sports&utm_tags=srm[hockey,article]

The NHL has announced the 20 referees, 20 linesmen and four standby officials that will work the 2015 Stanley Cup playoffs.

Referees: Francis Charron, Gord Dwyer, Eric Furlatt, Jean Hebert, Dave Jackson, Marc Joannette, Steve Kozari, Frederick L’Ecuyer, Chris Lee, Wes McCauley, Brad Meier, Dan O’Halloran, Dan O’Rourke, Brian Pochmara, Kevin Pollock, Chris Rooney, Francois St. Laurent, Justin St. Pierre, Kelly Sutherland, Brad Watson.

Linesmen: Derek Amell, Steve Barton, David Brisebois, Scott Cherrey, Michel Cormier, Greg Devorski, Scott Driscoll, Ryan Galloway, Darren Gibbs, Shane Heyer, Brad Kovachik, Steve Miller, Kiel Murchison, Brian Murphy, Derek Nansen, Tim Nowak, Brian Pancich, Pierre Racicot, Jay Sharrers, Mark Shewchyk

Standbys: Ghislain Hebert, Mike Leggo (referees); Brian Mach, Matt MacPherson (linesmen).

Notably absent from the referee list is Tim Peel, a 20-year veteran who, earlier this season, found himself in hot water after an interview with Yahoo’s Puck Daddy (in which Peel was photographed holding a shot of alcohol.)

Peel was suspended one game for the incident. Last year, he was selected to work both the playoffs and the Winter Olympics in Sochi.

Tim Peel gets left out for exposing the business.

calder

Wow, it would be amazing if the Jets could get past the Ducks. The more I look at it the more it looks like we got the best possible end to the season - finishing 8th and getting rewarded by being sent to the easiest division from the hardest. The Central bracket is fucking nuts, I can't believe how much easier the Pacific is.

No matter who meets in the Western Conference finals, expect serious salt from the Central team as they had to survive two rounds against a couple of the best teams in the league while the Pacific winner got a much easier path. And they'll be right to whine, hopefully it's us who sneaks in. ;)

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
No practice for the Rangers today, but all hands expected on deck tomorrow. That includes Kevin Klein, who is expected to be available for Game 1 (as are Marc Staal and Rick Nash).

If Klein does return, the Rangers will at full strength for the first time since February 2.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Wow, it would be amazing if the Jets could get past the Ducks. The more I look at it the more it looks like we got the best possible end to the season - finishing 8th and getting rewarded by being sent to the easiest division from the hardest. The Central bracket is fucking nuts, I can't believe how much easier the Pacific is.

No matter who meets in the Western Conference finals, expect serious salt from the Central team as they had to survive two rounds against a couple of the best teams in the league while the Pacific winner got a much easier path. And they'll be right to whine, hopefully it's us who sneaks in. ;)

Sounds like Paul Maurice should start game-planning for the WCF right now.

calder

Sounds like Paul Maurice should start game-planning for the WCF right now.

It's 100% going to be the Flames, just wait. And they will play a Blues team that's played 14 brutally hard games and lost 4 regulars to injury... just thinking about it is making me bitter.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Hmm. Ducks are 18-5-2 this season against the Western playoff teams. If we come to play, we should cruise. If we come out flat like we have for the last two playoffs, we will go out unceremoniously in the first or second round. It will be very interesting to see which Ducks teams comes out of that tunnel on Thursday.

Let's Go Detroit CLEARY'S!!!!!

87235725_slide.jpg

FUN FACTS:

Number of Stanley Cup Rings the last 45 years:

Dan Cleary: 1
Toronto Maple Leafs: 0
0fISnQh.png

Obligatory:

MIkq2uz.jpg

So what are you guys going to do when Cleary isn't on the Wings after this year?

Marvie_3

Banned

It would be hilarious if it was the Jets. Then next season they could be trolls and hang a pacific division championship banner.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
We can maybe beat the Flames
The only other team I see us beating is the Blues because we have their number

Solo

Habs might not even get out of the first round, and even if they do, a Tampa rematch awaits. And then a Rangers rematch if they survive that.

Price needs to be perfect, basically. No pressure.

ShaneB

Had no idea about this Rob Suggitt fellow and his 30 games in 30 nights journey. Read a book not that long ago about a baseball road trip for 30 games in 30 days that was hilarious, so I would've enjoyed paying attention to this as he was going along. Raised a good bit of money for Make-A-Wish, so that is pretty cool.

Cake Boss

Banned
"@HackswithHaggs: Peter Chiarelli said he spoke with Daniel Paille & Gregory Campbell, and told them B's won't be re-signing either of them #bruinstalk"

But.bbut ....but Pierre McGuire told me that analytics didn't tell the whole story and those 2 are the reason the broons won de cup.

Habs might not even get out of the first round, and even if they do, a Tampa rematch awaits. And then a Rangers rematch if they survive that.

Price needs to be perfect, basically. No pressure.

Anything can happen in that series.

As a Sens fan I couldn't ask for a better matchup than Montreal but there's a reason they play a seven game series. I refuse to believe it will be as easy as the matchup may indicate. No way Price can be as bad as he was in '13 series.

What streak is this?

Not streak(bad choice of words), more like his Vezina, Hart caliber performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom