• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NHL Playoffs |OT| The King Is Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
IckySameGreathornedowl.gif

Playoff time!!!

East Predictions:
Rangers vs. Penguins (6 games)
Capitals vs. Islanders (7 games)
Canadiens vs. Senators (7 games)
Lightning vs. Red Wings (5 games)

West Predictions:
Ducks vs. Jets (7 games)
Canucks vs. Flames (7 games)
Blues vs. Wild (7 games)
Predators vs. Blackhawks (6 games)

The actual dream would be to see all series go 7 tho, the more hockey the better

That is an awesome gif Pogo.

Anyway here are my predictions for the first round:

East

Rangers VS. Pens: Rangers in 5 (Pens are lucky just to be here.)
Capitals VS. Islanders: Isles in 7 (Toss-up between two equally talented sides but giving the edge the NYI solely for the battle of New York to happen.)
Canadians VS. Senators: Sens in 7 (Even if I'm wrong and the Habs start playing more consistently, Ottawa isn't going down without a fight)
Lightning VS Red Wings: Lighting in 6 (Tampa's offence will be too much for Detroit as time goes on)

West

Ducks VS. Jets: Jets in 7 (This will go to the brink, and I think Winnipeg can better handle a do-or-die situation than the ducks personally.)
Canucks VS. Flames: Flames in 7 (Calgary's play have impressed me more than the Canucks' so far, I see this one also going to 7 games regardless of who win's)
Blues VS. Wild: Blues in 7 (Dubnyk has been hot since arriving to Minnesota but has zero experience in the playoffs. I think the Blues experience will give them the edge)
Predators VS. Blackhawks: Predators in 7 (Even if Kane returns for this round, Chicago has had more struggles near the end of the regular season than Nashville. Nashville also has the better goalie in Rinne.)

iLLmAtlc

Also hockeybuzz posted an analytics look at PIT/NYR. Basically NYR has been riding high on PDO (shooting percentage + save percentage, indicative of luck) all season and Pittsburgh has been the better possession team.

Loss of Letang is huge but Pens (if I'm not mistaken) should have Ehrhoff and Pouliot coming back.

Basically I feel like everybody is too down on the Pens just because of their recent goal drought, and overlooking the fact that they were in control possession wise for most of those games.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Ryan-Wilson/Pittsburgh-Vs-New-York-Is-Process-Vs-PDO/177/67879

Foggy

Also hockeybuzz posted an analytics look at PIT/NYR. Basically NYR has been riding high on PDO (shooting percentage + save percentage, indicative of luck) all season and Pittsburgh has been the better possession team.

Loss of Letang is huge but Pens (if I'm not mistaken) should have Ehrhoff and Pouliot coming back.

Basically I feel like everybody is too down on the Pens just because of their recent goal drought, and overlooking the fact that they were in control possession wise for most of those games.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Ryan-Wilson/Pittsburgh-Vs-New-York-Is-Process-Vs-PDO/177/67879

What do fancy stats people think of the MAF index?

megachao24

Unconfirmed Member
First Round Predictions:

MTL vs. OTT (7 games).
NYR vs. PIT (sweep).
WSH vs. NYI (7 games).
TB vs. DET (6 games).

ANA vs. WPG (7 games).
VAN vs. CGY (7 games).
NSH vs. CHI (6 games).
STL vs. MIN (6 games).

calder

Who used to do the playoff bracket thing? That was awesome, despite the fact I never finished in the top half of the pool. We should do one for NHLGAF again if possible.

LevelNth

Banned
Price stats since Mar. 1: .925 SV and 2.20 GAA
Hammond stats since Mar. 1: .936 SV and 1.92 GAA

Going to be a close series.

zroid

Banned

I like PIT but man Letang is way more important to that team than most people realize. I'm not too sold on the Rongos but I think they can get past the Pens. But I like the Isles or Caps chances in Rd 2.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

I'd be the first to tell you that we've had several games in the last few weeks where we didn't really play great but found ways to win. But I also feel like possession stats don't quite tell the whole story, nor do I think PDO is purely a factor of luck (though it does play a big part in it).

There are probably a few things that make our possession stats a little murkier.

1) Tanner Glass

2) Score effects. We get leads quickly. We're #1 in the league in first period scoring, and we're a ridiculous +30 goal differential in the first period. What that means is that teams are chasing the game against us constantly.

3) Related to that, when we have a sizable lead we frequently slip into a counterattacking shell in the third period. It's probably the worst habit this team has. That often means that third periods can be very lopsided the other way in terms of shot attempts.

4) We are utterly, utterly garbage at faceoffs. Only the Sabres are worse. We're so bad that the wings have gotten really really good at chasing down pucks off of lost faceoffs, almost to the point that they occasionally look almost like set plays. But what that means realistically is that more often than not we start any given shift without possession of the puck.

The team seems to have worked out a system for dealing with these things, though.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Bergevin was just on Montreal radio to talk about the Habs. As always, he didn't say anything we didn't already know, but he was asked about Eller and he made it sound like he was never seriously considering trading him. Everything else was by the numbers answers.

I wonder if Sens will stick Bergevin in a run down suite again with pipes coming out of the walls and wiring being held up with coat hangers :lol

Alucard

Banned
As a Pens fan, going in with zero expectations is the best way to approach these playoffs. Any victory will be a surprise and reason for celebration.

Erdrick

The wait for the playoffs to start seems so agonizing to me for some reason. So close, yet a few days away. I've made sure to be able to see any and all games coming up. Wish this was last year when Selanne was playing. The Jets leave tomorrow afternoon for Anaheim. The air here in Winnipeg is full of anticipation and hope... I'm just eager to see a playoff game back here again. It's going to be the loudest anyone has ever seen.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
NHL-GAF is supposedly lacking Nashville fans, so here I am.

Actually, this is my first season watching hockey. Dunno how it took me this long to get into it. Nashville's the home team, so I'm kind of a fan of them by default.

Here's hoping that the Preds don't get bounced in five games.
They're going to get bounced in five games, aren't they?

Actually, this is my first season watching hockey. Dunno how it took me this long to get into it. Nashville's the home team, so I'm kind of a fan of them by default.

Pssh no.

In six

eyeless

welcome, pls use this gif i made especially for you, the illusive gaf preds fan

UB3XRZN.gif

i hope nashville has a bright future after losing in the first round this year because we have your first

So I just spent 700 bucks on 300 level seats to game 3 in Calgary, at least they're center ice. They lotto for public tickets isn't until Friday and I don't wanna gamble with the chances of maybe getting the opportunity to buy tickets. Whatever it'll be a blast :) if any of Calgary GAF wants to meet up next Sunday before or after the game PM me or something.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
So I just spent 700 bucks on 300 level seats to game 3 in Calgary, at least they're center ice. They lotto for public tickets isn't until Friday and I don't wanna gamble with the chances of maybe getting the opportunity to buy tickets. Whatever it'll be a blast :) if any of Calgary GAF wants to meet up next Sunday before or after the game PM me or something.

Holy shit, two seats? Hope they win. The chance to go to playoff game is pretty awesome though.

edit: 300 is the nosebleeds right?

Holy shit, two seats? Hope they win. The chance to go to playoff game is pretty awesome though.

Three seats. It would have been easier to get better tickets with two, but for our collective budget, this is the best we could manage. Buying tickets for 3 people specifically does not work out too well.

Initially I was gonna drive up to Vancouver, but opted to fly into Calgary, I think Vancouver would have offered better seats and prices, but can't beat the home atmosphere.

300 is the nosebleeds T_T. Ridiculously expensive, 200 level are around 3-500 a seat, lower bowl is all 500-2000. I've found a couple in the lower bowl for 450 but since we are flying and its a total last minute kind of trip, the budget we had didn't afford for 1300 for tickets.

I should also mention that I bought the tickets with 700 USD, so it was actually closer to 1K for 3 tickets :(

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Three seats. It would have been easier to get better tickets with two, but for our collective budget, this is the best we could manage. Buying tickets for 3 people specifically does not work out too well.

Initially I was gonna drive up to Vancouver, but opted to fly into Calgary, I think Vancouver would have offered better seats and prices, but can't beat the home atmosphere.

300 is the nosebleeds T_T. Ridiculously expensive, 200 level are around 3-500 a seat, lower bowl is all 500-2000. I've found a couple in the lower bowl for 450 but since we are flying and its a total last minute kind of trip, the budget we had didn't afford for 1300 for tickets.

I should also mention that I bought the tickets with 700 USD, so it was actually closer to 1K for 3 tickets :(

Damn. Hope the Flames kick ass for you!

Ursn

Wow and I was about to say how I bought 2 nose bleed tickets for $126 for game 1 on Thursday. Although I am unemployed at the moment and should just watch it at home, but I couldn't help it!

Pikma

Banned
Goddamn at those prices, thank god I live in SoCal

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
@JonathanWillis: #Oilers GM Craig MacTavish: April 2013: "I don’t think we’re that far off." April 2015: "I don’t think we’re that far off."

:lol

:lol

zedge

Hope I get an email Friday. Definitely want to try and meet up. Sunday me and my buddy visiting from Winnipeg are going to the Comic Expo in the day.

Oh and hi. :D GO FLAMES!

Calamari41

41 > 38
Wow and I was about to say how I bought 2 nose bleed tickets for $126 for game 1 on Thursday. Although I am unemployed at the moment and should just watch it at home, but I couldn't help it!

Goddamn at those prices, thank god I live in SoCal

Yeah no joke. I got some nice seats behind the net we shoot at twice for $109 each before they raised the price when the matchup was set.

RC

Banned
Hope I get an email Friday. Definitely want to try and meet up. Sunday me and my buddy visiting from Winnipeg are going to the Comic Expo in the day.

Oh and hi. :D GO FLAMES!

Wow Zedge. You old pony fucker you. Where've you been? Aside from the barn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom