• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NHL Playoffs |OT| The King Is Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solo

Anything can happen in that series.

As a Sens fan I couldn't ask for a better matchup than Montreal but there's a reason they play a seven game series. I refuse to believe it will be as easy as the matchup may indicate. No way Price can be as bad as he was in '13 series.

Price is a different player then to now, for sure. That alone should make it more competitive.

But......we don't score. Our top 4 scorers: 37 goals, 26 goals, 24 goals, 20 goals. Yuck.

Pikma

Banned
Why the fuck are all the current NHL thread titles related to the fucking kings, we should have used one to shit on the Bruins or something

Price is a different player then to now, for sure. That alone should make it more competitive.

But......we don't score. Our top 4 scorers: 37 goals, 26 goals, 24 goals, 20 goals. Yuck.

I wish we had those guys :(

Our top 4: 53 goals, 21 goals, 20 goals and 19 goals.

Solo

Patches definitely has a pretty solid concussion at least. I think he'll get in the series, but probably before he should be. Wouldn't surprise me if he's mostly ineffective. I'm looking at Eller and AGally as guys who need to step up in a big way.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
CBC guy that got fired did a playoff montage for the Habs:

https://vimeo.com/124701069

Patches definitely has a pretty solid concussion at least. I think he'll get in the series, but probably before he should be. Wouldn't surprise me if he's mostly ineffective. I'm looking at Eller and AGally as guys who need to step up in a big way.
A lot of assumptions you're making. They haven't said a word about what his issue is, and as much as it looks like a concussion, he was on the ice doing a hard workout yesterday which he wouldn't be able to do if it was really that bad. I'm hopeful he can be back for game 2-3.

Megasoum

Banned

A lot of assumptions you're making. They haven't said a word about what his issue is, and as much as it looks like a concussion, he was on the ice doing a hard workout yesterday which he wouldn't be able to do if it was really that bad. I'm hopeful he can be back for game 2-3.

Also they said he was "Reacting well to treatment" which doesn't really make much sense when talking about a concussion.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

yeah, no hockey player has ever played through a concussion during the playoffs

ever

Red_Man

yeah, no hockey player has ever played through a concussion during the playoffs

ever
Habs have been one of the better teams when it comes to concussions and they've already said he's not playing until he's 100%. He's not going to play through it and then make it worse and potentially miss the rest of the playoffs.

Solo

I do think the Sens will win the series, but I just picked the Habs winning the Cup 4-2 over Minnesota in my pool haha.

#yolo

Curufinwe

Just a heads up to any of you guys who aren't regulars in the Game of Thrones TV thread but might post there every so often.

It's been dealt with. Move on. And quit asking people for information from the books. And if you've read the books, you're posting in the wrong thread. This isn't rocket science, folks. Book readers go in the spoiler book thread, non book readers go here, and no one talks about episodes that haven't been released, except for from a business perspective and only in the leak thread. No more warnings.

People are getting banned left and right and I don't want that to happen to anyone from NHL-GAF right before the playoffs.

Solo

I have the Habs losing to the Blues 4-2.

I think I had

Habs over Sens
Tampa over Detroit
Washington over NYI
NYR over Pens
Ducks over Jets
Canucks over Flames
Hawks over Nashville
Minny over St Louis

Habs over Tampa
NYR over Washington
Ducks over Canucks
Minny over Hawks

Habs over NYR
Minny over Hawks

Habs over Minny

Not happening, but $1000 in my pocket off a $20 investment if it does!

Red_Man

Just a heads up to any of you guys who aren't regulars in the Game of Thrones TV thread but might post there every so often.
If you're a fan of the show and haven't read the books, you should just avoid it all together.

Solo

Almost the same for us, just with a lower top end, of course. 42, 21, 21, 19. Still finished in third place as a team in scoring. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Caps are #6 too. Habs are #20. Lowest of all playoff teams.

BUT, we are #1 in goals against.

Almost the same for us, just with a lower top end, of course. 42, 21, 21, 19. Still finished in third place as a team in scoring. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah both our d-cores chipped in a lot.

Still would like another 30 goal scorer though.

Brouwer (21g), Johansson (20g) and Fehr (19g) aren't going to scare the pants off anyone.

Brouwer playoff stats: 64gp, 7g, 9a, 16pts, -2

Johansson playoff stats: 30gp, 4g, 7a, 11pts. -11

Fehr playoff stats: 33gp, 5g, 1a, 6pts, 1

Ward though :eek:

Ward playoff stats: 39gp, 11g, 15a, 26pts, 7

Edit:

Jason Brough ‏@JasonPHT 7m7 minutes ago
So Antoine Vermette could be a healthy scratch in Game 1 for the Blackhawks? That's interesting.

Oof.

https://twitter.com/earlsleek/status/587420383650807808

CCbvuf5UIAENUQj.jpg

Socreges

Banned
Wow, it would be amazing if the Jets could get past the Ducks. The more I look at it the more it looks like we got the best possible end to the season - finishing 8th and getting rewarded by being sent to the easiest division from the hardest. The Central bracket is fucking nuts, I can't believe how much easier the Pacific is.

No matter who meets in the Western Conference finals, expect serious salt from the Central team as they had to survive two rounds against a couple of the best teams in the league while the Pacific winner got a much easier path. And they'll be right to whine, hopefully it's us who sneaks in. ;)
I don't disagree with your essential point, but you're being a bit hyperbolic. The Central is the stronger division, sure, but I think parity is such that there will be no "much easier path".

Worth noting, though, that the Jets had a losing record against each of the Ducks, Canucks and Flames. And I think it's all moot anyhow as the Jets won't make it past the first... though I'd like them to for the aforementioned reason...

The Canucks are actually above .500 against the Blues, Perds, Hawks, Jets and Wild combined.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah both our d-cores chipped in a lot.

Still would like another 30 goal scorer though.

Brouwer (21g), Johansson (20g) and Fehr (19g) aren't going to scare the pants off anyone.

Brouwer playoff stats: 64gp, 7g, 9a, 16pts, -2

Johansson playoff stats: 30gp, 4g, 7a, 11pts. -11

Fehr playoff stats: 33gp, 5g, 1a, 6pts, 1

Ward though :eek:

Ward playoff stats: 39gp, 11g, 15a, 26pts, 7

Yeah, that's the thing for us. Those 2nd, 3rd, and 4th goal scorers? All proven playoff performers. Martin St. Louis, Chris Kreider, Derick Brassard.

St. Louis - 88 GP, 41 G, 42 A, 83 pts, 11 GWG (or you could just ask last year's Pens and Habs)
Kreider - 41 GP, 11 G, 11 A, 22 pts, 4 GWG (or you could just ask last year's Ha-...you know what, nevermind)
Brassard - 35 GP, 8 G, 16 A, 24 pts, 3 GWG

The amazing thing here is that Kreider is already up to nearly half as many playoff games played as MSL, despite being 16 years younger.

On the plus side for our opponents, our #5 goal scorer this year has 0 career playoff goals!
Because it's Kevin Hayes.

Prediction Time!

Habs over Sens

Tampa over Detroit

Islanders over Caps

Rangers over Pittsburgh.

For the West

Ducks Over Jets

Flames over Canucks

Wild over Blues

Chicago over Nashville

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Prediction Time!

Habs over Sens

Tampa over Detroit

Islanders over Caps

Rangers over Pittsburgh.

For the West

Ducks Over Jets

Flames over Canucks

Wild over Blues

Chicago over Nashville

Sens over Habs

Detroit over Tampa

Isles over Caps

Rags over Pens

Ducks over Jets

Canucks over Flames

Blues over Wild (I hope)

Chicago over Perds

Pogonip

Neo Member
IckySameGreathornedowl.gif

Playoff time!!!

East Predictions:
Rangers vs. Penguins (6 games)
Capitals vs. Islanders (7 games)
Canadiens vs. Senators (7 games)
Lightning vs. Red Wings (5 games)

West Predictions:
Ducks vs. Jets (7 games)
Canucks vs. Flames (7 games)
Blues vs. Wild (7 games)
Predators vs. Blackhawks (6 games)

The actual dream would be to see all series go 7 tho, the more hockey the better

RC

Banned
Let's see:

Anaheim over Winnipeg in 5.
Vancouver over Calgary in 7.
Chicago over Nashville in 6.
Minnisota over St Louis in 6.

NYR over Pittsburg in 5.
Montreal over Ottawa in 6.
Tampa Bay over Detroit in 6
Washington over NYI in 7.

All the matchups look pretty even. The biggest disparity might be Rangers-Penguins, with a stacked team facing an injured one. Even then, if Lundqvist isn't 100% and Fleury plays with a chip on his shoulder that series could go 6 or 7. New York in 5.

Habs-Sens, I give the edge to the Habs. More experience and probably fresher. I don't see Hammond outplaying Price. Montreal in 6.

Lightning-Wings will be interesting. Bishop and Mrazek are both unproven in the playoffs. The Lightning can score but their defence will get exposed. Tampa Bay in 6.

Capitals-Islanders will probably come down to goaltending as well. Which Halak will show up? Holtby's playoff statistics are pretty good and he could steal a couple games. Washington in 7.

Ducks-Jets: for a top seed the ducks sure have a lot of question marks. Should they have improved their goaltending? Is Boudreau a playoff coach? Is their record in one-goal games the result of luck, a lack of scoring/defence resulting in an inability to put teams away, or a team that knows how to win close games? Jets are a good story but their long playoff hiatus may result in inexperience. Plus, Pavelec. Anaheim in 5.

Blues-Wild: The Wild were a good team missing a goalie, so they went out and got one. You could say the same about the Blues: Elliott is their starter but his recent play has been inconsistent. I think this is the year the Blues get it together though. St. Louis in 7.

Preds-Hawks: Two deep, talented teams that struggled a bit down the stretch. If the Hawks get Kane back he could easily swing the series Chicago's way. Rinne is probably better than Crawford, but not by much. Chicago in 7.

Canucks-Flames: Two teams that defied expectations, one moreso than the other. The Flames are just happy to be here, while the Canucks know that time is against them. Experience wins out, barely. Vancouver in 7.

iLLmAtlc

I got the Jets beating the Ducks. To me the Jets are deeper at both forward and defence. Jets also have the nerd stats advantage with 55% Fenwick close since Jan 1st. That's Stanley Cup contender quality, historically.

This kinda reminds me of the 2012 Canucks/Kings series. If you actually looked at the teams the Kings were arguably much deeper with Kopitar, Richards, Carter, Williams, Brown, Gagne, Doughty, Quick (career season). Kings also had a 55% FF since Jan 1st.

This is assuming Pavalec/Hutch don't implode lol.

Red_Man

I'll be surprised if Ducks-Jets goes finishes in under 6 games, I'm expecting 7. Of course, if Pavelec reverts to his normal self then that's all out the window.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom