• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NHL Playoffs |OT| The King Is Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cindro

In the playoffs, a team always plays their starter except in extreme circumstances (injury, stretch of awful play).

Crawford had one bad period which wasn't entirely his fault. His experience and resume is still far superior to Darling's, and he will start every game from here on out.

Coaches play coy about their starter to play mind games with the other team.
I'm not at all implying Darling should replace Crawford as the main goalie - just that he's earned the trust to start in at least a couple of playoff games. Shouldn't sport positions be based partially on the merit of performance? Didn't Darling break the NHL record for most stopped goals in a relief goalie playoff performance? If that level of aptitude doesn't move your ranking on the bench up even a modicum, then something seems amiss.

I love Crawford and think the Hawks are very fortunate to have him. His resume is definitely more extensive and tested in playoff games - but Wednesday was Darling's FIRST playoff appearance. He's gotta build his own resume somehow.

If not given the chance to start in any games, do you think Q will at least bring Darling in as relief again in a few more instances when they otherwise would have left Crawford in, had Darling not played so well Wednesday?

And it doesn't seem like a very effective mind game if the standard is that starters start every playoff game ever no matter what, barring injury or horrid play. Any coach would be able to see through that.

I'm not sure on the history of this though - i'm still relatively new to hockey :) Because of that, I apologize if I'm sounding like an idiot here. I just don't understand logic of a coach not rewarding exceptional performance in the playoffs by giving the person more time to continue being exceptional.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
He's probably going to be a Calder nominee. He's fantastic. Possession beast and 40 points in 65 games as a rookie defenseman.

Yeah but that doesnt change the fact that he's got one season under his belt.

I'm not at all implying Darling should replace Crawford as the main goalie - just that he's earned the trust to start in at least a couple of playoff games. Shouldn't sport positions be based partially on the merit of performance? Didn't Darling break the NHL record for most stopped goals in a relief goalie playoff performance? If that level of aptitude doesn't move your ranking on the bench up even a modicum, then something seems amiss.

I love Crawford and think the Hawks are very fortunate to have him. His resume is definitely more extensive and tested in playoff games - but Wednesday was Darling's FIRST playoff appearance. He's gotta build his own resume somehow.

If not given the chance to start in any games, do you think Q will at least bring Darling in as relief again in a few more instances when they otherwise would have left Crawford in, had Darling not played so well Wednesday?

And it doesn't seem like a very effective mind game if the standard is that starters start every playoff game ever no matter what, barring injury or horrid play. Any coach would be able to see through that.

I'm not sure on the history of this though - i'm still relatively new to hockey :) Because of that, I apologize if I'm sounding like an idiot here. I just don't understand logic of a coach not rewarding exceptional performance in the playoffs by giving the person more time to continue being exceptional.

Don't get over excited over a small sample size. Crawford had a career year and while Platooning Goalies is not unheard of Coach Q always rides one goalie through the playoffs. Darling played well and and their not afraid to play him in relief but he won't start just because. Now if Crawford shits the bed a few more times
he won't
then we'll see.

I'd love to take the first two away from home, but the preds will play hard and most people are picking a 6 to 7 game series so while I'll be pissed if they lose I'd be happy with a split heading to home ice.

People are actually getting excited that Playstation has MARKETING rights to Battlefront, NeoGAF...

Cool that the game doesn't have ADS, lame there are no space battles, though I expected as much.

Calamari41

41 > 38
People are actually getting excited that Playstation has MARKETING rights to Battlefront, NeoGAF...

I still won't be convinced that swaths of posters on the gaming side aren't literally paid Sony shills. The corporate deep throating that goes on for that company is unreal.

No worries I definitely see where you're coming from.

If this was the regular season then yes, Darling would be deserving of an extra start that's not a back-to-back situation (the most common instance of a backup getting any playing time). But in the playoffs, when every game matters, you go with your starter. You wouldn't start a backup quarterback in the Super Bowl if your starter is healthy.

Darling will build his resume the same way backups have always done it: by patiently biding his time and playing lights-out when called upon. If they are lucky (or unlucky depending on your point of view) enough to play a few games when the starter is injured, then that establishes them more. Eventually the starter gets too expensive/old, and/or his play drops, and the backup is thrust into the starting role.

Darling's performance didn't go unnoticed though: Q will have more confidence in putting him in if Crawford plays poorly in the future. Some coaches have zero faith in their backups and will keep their starter in no matter the circumstances. Darling has shown he can come in cold and play well, so if Crawford is yanked again the drop in goaltending quality won't be significant.

manfestival

Four games today, four games tomorrow, four games on Sunday!

As a neutral viewer, this is fun as hell. I can enjoy hockey.

Playoff hockey to me is the best of any sport. NFL playoffs are a tad dull but I love watching the games because I am more invested emotionally in football. The funny thing is, I grew up playing street hockey and stopped caring about it around 10 years old and went head first into football.

Go bolts :D

I still won't be convinced that swaths of posters on the gaming side aren't literally paid Sony shills. The corporate deep throating that goes on for that company is unreal.

open your eyes child because that rabbit hole doesnt stop just at sony

i dont really care about sony, but I would probably enjoy xbox division crashing and burning

everything coming out on PC would be best

ShaneB

Heading into Cowtown down 0-2 would be a death sentence. Today's a must win which will probably mean that they'll lose.

I suppose pessimism is natural. I feel the same if the Caps lose! But takes 4 games to win, not 2. Good news that Holtby seems ready to start, but still a concern if it's a lingering illness. He's certainly not 100%.

And one at the same time as the draft lottery, for some reason.

The draft lottery is essentially the pre-game stuff, so it's not the same time thankfully.

Marvie_3

Banned
Mark Lazerus@MarkLazerus

Q on Rozsival: "He’s proven that he can play in some big games and some big settings. We like that experience he brings." #Blackhawks

Q also praised Rozsival's play recognition, puck movement, zone exits & ability to hold the blue line. "Sometimes maybe too much patience."
ibjbwlUIbOu5hA.gif

Fixed1979

NHL GAF, I have a ticket for tongihts game on stubhub that looks like it may not sell...assuming is doesn't any Vancouverite interested in a free seat at the game? Hate to see it go to waste...Probably won't pull it until about an hour before game time though...if you interested PM me and let me know...

EDIT: Looks like we have a taker.

Gonna be a intense game tonight.

Emotions are gonna run high. So Expect stupid shit from both sides

Parenteau is out and it's more and more likely that Patches will be back by Sunday. Therrien says Patch is feeling good. But I think Therrien should rest him until Sunday. Definitely don't come in tonight

The Canucks should be able to tie the series up. Hiller is good but he's not unbeatable, and the Sedins will break through eventually. Of course it's also possible that Lack lets in a couple stinkers and they're unable to recover from that, so who knows.

Nah. Only bad tats are those dumb lines of handwriting in random places or ones based on real life pics.

"no ragrets"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom