• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NHL Playoffs |OT2| Ovi guaranteed a good thread title

Cindro

I can go to sleep happy for the first time in years tonight, and, well, that's just great

Coach Q for president. If V hadn't been given the day off during game 3, he wouldn't have had the physical capacity and energy to score the OT goal tonight

Isn't he defending Crawford?

Can't tell with the way he phrased it, to be honest.

I read it that way at first, but then reread it and thought he was saying those who knew stuff about hockey wouldn't appreciate him.

Edit: oh, I think he meant shit as nothing. Nvm.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Yes, it's Crawford who people should be thanking for the Blackhawks success, not future Hall of Famers, Toews, Kane, Hossa, who are averaging a PPG or Keith who is almost a PPG and playing more minutes on D than any other player in the playoffs. We're all idiots.

Isn't he defending Crawford?
This is beautiful.

Yeah, my bad. Thought you meant "know shit" differently. :p

You confused me for a second(thought you meant that 3 goal barrage, of course, not overtime) but yeah, Crawford seems to be picked on and not talked about as being one of the best goalies but while he has braincramps, he comes up so big when the shit is hitting the fan.

You confused me for a second(thought you meant that 3 goal barrage, of course, not overtime) but yeah, Crawford seems to be picked on and not talked about as being one of the best goalies but while he has braincramps, he comes up so big when the shit is hitting the fan.

I'm still not really sure I'd blame any of those three on him over awful defense and stick positioning, honestly.

Yes, it's Crawford who people should be thanking for the Blackhawks success, not future Hall of Famers, Toews, Kane, Hossa, who are averaging a PPG or Keith who is almost a PPG and playing more minutes on D than any other player in the playoffs. We're all idiots.

Of course they matter but guess who was the real best player when the Hawks won in 2013.

Hint: It wasn't Kane.

Red_Man

Of course they matter but guess who was the real best player when the Hawks won in 2013.

Hint: It wasn't Kane.
I didn't realize we were debating the merits of the 2013 Blackhawks? I also never realized how insecure some Blackhawk fans are about their goalie.

billeh

This is beautiful.
Without Crawford, they wouldn't have even made the playoffs this year. He bailed them the fuck out on a number of occasions during the regular season and seriously bounced back after some rough outings in Nashville.

Red_Man

How about the 18 overtime game this series when Crawford made 7000 saves???
Or when he got pulled for Darling in the first round? The fact that the Ducks scored 4 and the Hawks could still win tonight is a testament to how strong that team is sans Crawford. Literally everyone except for a few Hawks fans here think he looked really shaky tonight. He's up and down and gets some major help from playing behind the team he does.

Marvie_3

Banned
lol at idiots talking about trading Crow or blaming those three goals on him.

He's the only reason we're not dead in the water right now.

Hey idiot, that Kesler goal is ALL on him. That puck went right the fuck through him. The other two goals were stoppable even if the defense shit the bed in front of him.

Also, fuck you dildo. Trading Crawford is a completely rational idea given that he's going to be making $6M, the Hawks are up against the cap and are already short on depth (especially on defense), have a good goalie making almost nothing behind him, and that he's given up 3 or more goals 5 times already before tonight in the playoffs.

Sure, Crawford is a decent goalie that has done a lot for this team and not all his bedshitting in the playoffs is his fault. But he sure as fuck isn't worth $6M and it's not going to get any easier for him going forward when the Hawks are playing Keith, Seabs, Hammer, and several rookies on defense because we can't afford anybody else. We won a Cup with Niemi in net. Why? That team was deep as fuck. What happened the next two years when we couldn't afford any better depth players than Fernando Pisani and Sean O'Donnel. First round losses. What happens if one of our top 3 gets hurt next year? We're fucked. Having a 5/6 guy who is capable of stepping in to a bigger role would keep the ship afloat and we wouldn't have to rely on Crawford to play lights out every night. Sending Crawford out would allow us to keep Oduya, sign a vet for that 5/6 role, and still have room to start prepping some of the kids.

Sorry you're too much of an idiot to see Darling + defensive depth is a smarter option than hoping Crawford can be superhuman every night going forward.

Marvie_3

Banned
I didn't realize we were debating the merits of the 2013 Blackhawks? I also never realized how insecure some Blackhawk fans are about their goalie.
Seriously. I like Crawford and even I find this ridiculous.

Without Crawford, they wouldn't have even made the playoffs this year. He bailed them the fuck out on a number of occasions during the regular season and seriously bounced back after some rough outings in Nashville.

Yeah and he also shit the bed repeatedly for about 2 months. Let's not pretend he was some Vezina caliber goalie all year.

zroid

Banned
Crawford is neither the reason for nor a hindrance to the Hawks' success.

He's a perfectly solid NHL netminder.

Sometimes he comes up huge. Sometimes he has bad nights. Other times he's good enough. That's all the Hawks really need, anyway.

That said, Marvie is right, he's hugely overpaid. A lot of goalies are though.

Red_Man

Lol I don't know why you're bothering.
Habs are out, I guess I had to scratch the hockey salt itch. Marvie just layed it out though, but what does he know about Blackhawks hockey.

Crawford is neither the reason for nor a hindrance to the Hawks' success.

He's a perfectly solid NHL netminder.

Sometimes he comes up huge. Sometimes he has bad nights. Other times he's good enough. That's all the Hawks really need, anyway.

This is exactly my point and Hawk fans here are acting like I'm saying he's the Hawks own Toskala.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Habs are out, I guess I had to scratch the hockey salt itch. Marvie just layed it out though, but what does he know about Blackhawks hockey.

He's a bandwagoner, seriously he would do well to just defer to the regulars of Hawks Age that he's going up against.

Entropia

No One Remembers

Thank God this is Cam Ward's last year with his 6.8 Mil cap hit. Worth it at the time? Sure. Worth it the season or two after? Not at all. Worth it now? No. I love the guy for what he did for us in '06, but if he wants to keep up at 6.8 he needs to go back to playing great. His performance greatly increased this past season (despite how bad the team did overall).

Or when he got pulled for Darling in the first round? The fact that the Ducks scored 4 and the Hawks could still win tonight is a testament to how strong that team is sans Crawford. Literally everyone except for a few Hawks fans here think he looked really shaky tonight. He's up and down and gets some major help from playing behind the team he does.

Of course het gets help.

I just think he's underrated.

The Ducks have outplayed the Hawks this series and their goalie has even been better but it's tied and Crawford is a big reason.

Hjarlmasson's my favorite Hawk's player and he was crap tonight, "shaky" at times.

It happens.

Marvie_3

Banned
Habs are out, I guess I had to scratch the hockey salt itch. Marvie just layed it out though, but what does he know about Blackhawks hockey
Barely anything! If only I hadn't missed those ~20 or so games over the past decade I would know as much about the Hawks as Sox Bowman does.

Marvie_3

Banned
Of course het gets help.

I just think he's underrated.

The Ducks have outplayed the Hawks this series and their goalie has even been better but it's tied and Crawford is a big reason.

Hjarlmasson's my favorite Hawk's player and he was crap tonight, "shaky" at times.

It happens.

There's a huge difference in a shaky defenseman and a shaky goalie though. A shaky defenseman will sometimes still have time to make up for his mistake. A goalie doesn't have that luxury.

That's not to say Crawford has been bad this whole series. He's made some absolutely huge saves and is a part of why this series is 2-2. But he was completely lost on the GWG in Game 3 and he's given up some bad goals outside of that.

There's a huge difference in a shaky defenseman and a shaky goalie though. A shaky defenseman will often still have time to make up for his mistake. A goalie doesn't have that luxury.

That's not to say Crawford has been bad this whole series. He's made some absolutely huge saves and is a part of why this series is 2-2. But he was completely lost on the GWG in Game 3 and he's given up some bad goals outside of that.

Yeah, no doubt.

And I respect your opinion.

Not sure about unproven Darling though but sure the core of the Hawks' defense is more valuable than Crawford.

I'd take their defense over anyone's(well. Oduya seems to have regressed again).

I guess I just think Crawford is taken for granted in general and has been for a while.

It's arguable, didn't mean to get so inflammatory but sometimes I'm defensive over him because the media, etc... treat him like he's average.

The joke wasn't so much about you as it was playing off of what Red_Man said about Marvie not knowing anything.

Oh, ok, my bad.

I thought that could have been sarcasm about Marvie.

I don't always agree with him but of course he knows a shitload about the Hawks.

(this time, "shitload" means "A LOT")

Marvie_3

Banned
I'd take their defense over anyone's(well. Oduya seems to have regressed again)
I disagree. Oduya looked like garbage earlier in the year but he's been really solid the last few months. He still has his bumbles(although every Hawks dman does at times). If he's willing to take a discount from what he could get this offseason, I'd like to see him back. He and Hjalmarsson play well together and take a lot of the tougher matchups.

I guess I just think Crawford is taken for granted in general and has been for a while.

It's arguable, didn't mean to get so inflammatory but sometimes I'm defensive over him because the media, etc... treat him like he's average.
......that's because he's a slightly above average goalie.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Oh, ok, my bad.

I thought that could have been sarcasm about Marvie.

I don't always agree with him but of course he knows a shitload about the Hawks.

(this time, "shitload" means "A LOT")

You just made me realize that the term "shitload" is really weird. Like, what exactly is a shitload? A load of shit? That's an insult then, right? Or are loads of shit usually really big, so therefore knowing a shitload means you know a lot? Where's the evidence that shitloads are big? I would want shit to be shipped out in smaller, more frequent loads.

Marvie_3

Banned
You just made me realize that the term "shitload" is really weird. Like, what exactly is a shitload? A load of shit? That's an insult then, right? Or are loads of shit usually really big, so therefore knowing a shitload means you know a lot? Where's the evidence that shitloads are big? I would want shit to be shipped out in smaller, more frequent loads.

I assume it has something to do with fertilizer being bought in bulk?

Yeah, words don't often make sense, you should make a thread:p

I disagree. Oduya looked like garbage earlier in the year but he's been really solid the last few months. He still has his bumbles(although every Hawks dman does at times). If he's willing to take a discount from what he could get this offseason, I'd like to see him back. He and Hjalmarsson play well together and take a lot of the tougher matchups.

I like Oduya but it's a yo-yo, my feelings about him.

Sometimes very good, sometimes awful, just thought he was more consistent when they won the Cup(s).

I thought he was trash when they first got him though.

He flashes brilliance though, that stick he got on a scoring chance tonight was an example.

Obviously Keith is toptier and Seabrook is a maniac but what do you think of Hjarlmasson in general???

Interested to know, you might find him above average(and there's nothing wrong with that).

zroid

Banned
Yeah, no doubt.

And I respect your opinion.

Not sure about unproven Darling though but sure the core of the Hawks' defense is more valuable than Crawford.

I'd take their defense over anyone's(well. Oduya seems to have regressed again).

yeah I wouldn't bet the farm on Darling yet, sample size just too small. But I wouldn't be surprised if there were teams that have goalie issues (particularly in 2014-15) that would trade for Crawford and give you back their slightly worse goalie in return.

problem is figuring out how to shed salary while still getting an average-ish starting goalie to complement Darling.

Quick

Banned
Goalie superstar and all-around good guy James Reimer is the Hawks destiny for even more slightly above average goaltending.

iLLmAtlc

Fwiw I think goaltending in general is overvalued, especially for big money guys. I think I read somewhere that the average save % in the league has been at .910 the last few years. Is it really worth it to pay big money in that market?

You could probably count on one hand the number of times in the past decade when a goalie took his team past another it had no business beating. To me it probably happened twice, both by 2010 halak.

Marvie_3

Banned
I like Oduya but it's a yo-yo, my feelings about him.

Sometimes very good, sometimes awful, just thought he was more consistent when they won the Cup(s).
Consistency has never been a strong part of Oduya's game. He goofs up but he's smart enough and fast enough to make up for it most of the time.

I thought he was trash when they first got him though.

He flashes brilliance though, that stick he got on a scoring chance tonight was an example.
He was pretty garbage when they got him but that 2012 team wasn't that good either. Not really fair to judge him on that when he didn't have that much time to acclimate himself to a subpar team. That said, he did make some pretty stupid plays when he first got here.

Obviously Keith is toptier and Seabrook is a maniac but what do you think of Hjarlmasson in general???

Interested to know, you might find him above average(and there's nothing wrong with that).
Honestly, I think Hjalmarsson is easily one of, if not the most underrated defensive defenseman in the NHL. He's been our best defender for several years now. Keith wins the Norris because he's a lot better offensively but I think Hammer is better all around on defense. He's smart, basically indestructible, a good skater, and he has a really hard shot that I just wish he would use more. He's not as physical as he was when he first came into the league and it was noticeable after he was suspended for boarding Pominville (I think?) a few years. He still fucking wrecks people occasionally though.

Marvie_3

Banned
yeah I wouldn't bet the farm on Darling yet, sample size just too small. But I wouldn't be surprised if there were teams that have goalie issues (particularly in 2014-15) that would trade for Crawford and give you back their slightly worse goalie in return.

problem is figuring out how to shed salary while still getting an average-ish starting goalie to complement Darling.
Crawford to Edmonton/Buffalo for picks. Hawks save cap space and can roll with Darling/Raanta. Not realistic at all probably but I can dream.

Fwiw I think goaltending in general is overvalued, especially for big money guys. I think I read somewhere that the average save % in the league has been at .910 the last few years. Is it really worth it to pay big money in that market?

You could probably count on one hand the number of times in the past decade when a goalie took his team past another it had no business beating. To me it probably happened twice, both by 2010 halak.
Crawford last year against Minnesota.

zroid

Banned
4Ii2tyM.png

that's wacky

Top Bottom